Sign in to follow this  
Nuggit82

P3dV5 running out of VRAM all the time

27 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Dial the settings fitting to your hardware does help indeed. Don't blame LM when you can't resist to go over your hardware limits. In 4.x with DX11 you had massive fps drops when you ran out of VRAM, does this taste better for you?

I wouldn't know, I never had this issue in P3Dv4.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

4K with 8xAA is stuffing your VRAM up for no purpose. 

10 hours ago, virtuali said:

What looks good for you on your system. 2xSSAA should probably work Ok with 4K and it's much easier on hardware and fps. And use cloud resolution at Medium or High, the drop in fps from High to Ultra is huge.

I'm curious on this myself.  Are you saying 8xMSAA uses more VRAM than 2xSSAA?

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Highly doubt it. This has been an error from the start.

The fact is we are yet again forced to play with the settings trying to avoid sim crashes. Honestly, for me, personally, it tastes better to be able to land, even with bad performance, than not land at all. Either way, I can tweak the sliders after the flight, though in the first instance being much happier about it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SimonC said:

This has been an error from the start

Not exactly.....so it is not error with every PC....What I see so far high end GPU's are more "complaining" that us with lower end....Either to much OC or some other "distribution" doesn't work....

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

You didn't understand me. What I meant:

The OP is showing "8xMSAA". The subsequent post is referring to "8xAA". I think there is a confusion about 8xSSAA and 8xMSAA. MSAA doesn't use as nearly as much VRAM as does SSAA. So I think the first recommendation to lower the AA was by mistake pertaining to SSAA, and not MSAA.

Edited by SimonC

Make sense...I never used SSAA...it is to heavy on my PC...

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

4xSSAA is a requirement on my PC. Anything less looks rubbish.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

12 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

4xSSAA is a requirement on my PC. Anything less looks rubbish.

I tend to agree, 2xSSAA at a pinch.

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

14 hours ago, Gadget FPV said:

The Video card industry is a total scam... why can't they have a video card that has memory slots just like on a motherboard, then all you is add/upgrade VRAM when you need to...

Really?

If they are a scam then heaven help us if they do what you suggest because they would be as slow as the CPU performance when someone puts dodgy ram in their mobo. Imagine two varieties of ram instead of one that can be chosen by the user. Oh and by way of comparison top line GPUs already smash CPUs for compute functions. If you hadn't noticed GPUs are at least one generation of Ram ahead of CPUs.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

11 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

Dial the settings fitting to your hardware does help indeed. Don't blame LM when you can't resist to go over your hardware limits. In 4.x with DX11 you had massive fps drops when you ran out of VRAM, does this taste better for you?

I think most people would say .. Yes. 

I'd rather adjust my settings to achieve a balance visual quality and performance (where the result of over reaching is lower FPS) than adjust my settings where the result is a CTD.

Nothing worse than constant CTDs. Yes, some people don't seem to be getting as many as others, but enough people are getting them for it to an issue worthy of addressing. Fingers crossed LM are listening. 

• Like 2

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Up until P3Dv4 I was always scared of OOMs and CTDs. They were abundant. Every time there was even a slight pause in the sim I almost got a heart attack because more often than not it meant that CTD is imminent. This got under my skin so hard that even in P3Dv4, when a pause happens, my heart stops for a second even though I know it's probably nothing. And more often than not, it's nothing. CTDs and OOMs were a thing of the past. Then P3Dv5 came along and it's "good ol' days" all over again. That's why I asked if this issue with VRAM is something that LM can do something about or is this just the way it is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SimonC said:

You didn't understand me. What I meant:

The OP is showing "8xMSAA". The subsequent post is referring to "8xAA". I think there is a confusion about 8xSSAA and 8xMSAA. MSAA doesn't use as nearly as much VRAM as does SSAA. So I think the first recommendation to lower the AA was by mistake pertaining to SSAA, and not MSAA.

2 s SSAA is lower vram than 4xmsaa

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Yesterday after three attempts to fly the Maddog from KRDU to KATL inV5 all ending in crashes I started version 4.5 and flew the trip with out a hitch. Goodness it was so refreshing it was like coming home. I was able to crank my terrain features back up, turn lighting features back on and use ENDVTEX HD clouds in this messy weather the South Eastern US is experiencing this week! Twice I got a brief freeze with the little blue wheel, P3DV4.5 stabilized itself and on I flew😀. With FFTF I had smooth performance. I'll look at V5 again after the Windows update May 28 but now I am wondering why I needed another P3D when the one I have is at such a refined state. I would advise anyone on the fence who is a heavy addon simmer to give time before purchasing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Yesterday after three attempts to fly the Maddog from KRDU to KATL inV5 all ending in crashes I started version 4.5 and flew the trip with out a hitch. Goodness it was so refreshing it was like coming home. I was able to crank my terrain features back up, turn lighting features back on and use ENDVTEX HD clouds in this messy weather the South Eastern US is experiencing this week! Twice I got a brief freeze with the little blue wheel, P3DV4.5 stabilized itself and on I flew😀. With FFTF I had smooth performance. I'll look at V5 again after the Windows update May 28 but now I am wondering why I needed another P3D when the one I have is at such a refined state. I would advise anyone on the fence who is a heavy addon simmer to give time before purchasing.

I have the same thoughts))

Another crash over EHAM with the Airbus 330 +  ORBX TE + ActiveSky P3D

TrueSky is disabled.

It is torment instead of pleasure.  Even Alpha 2020 is more stable !

155k2h.jpg

Edited by BMW969

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

Get your settings right, your factory OC card is the culprit, or a word not allowed nvidia profile. Balance your system and device hungs are gone.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png