Sign in to follow this  
Nuggit82

P3dV5 running out of VRAM all the time

How to settings right? At 4.5 everything is stable

I just installed the driver and didn't change anything

Edited by BMW969

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

You have an nvidia profile made for V4 maybe?

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

1 hour ago, JoeFackel said:

You have an nvidia profile made for V4 maybe?

Following with interest. How do you find you're nvidia profile?

Edited by PATCO LCH

Vic green

Its in the nvidia control panel, "3D Properties" (or something, i use it in german language).

You can make profiles for each programm you use. If there is one for V4 it will also be trigger when starting V5 and you won't have that. 

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Device Hung is more likely an unstable system not the sim.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Friends, thank you for your advice. I found the culprit.  In the settings of Nvidia, I set the sharpness and forgot. Now I returned the default sharpness. And made a great landing at Heathrow in VR. 

I had 40 FPS in each eye. Considering Aerosoft A330 + TE GB + ActiveSky  + Heathrow airport

Previously, I could not even dream about it. 🎇🎆

• Like 1

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

49 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Device Hung is more likely an unstable system not the sim.

No, it's not.  This has been well documented on the P3D forum and here.

• Like 2

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

26 minutes ago, PurdueKev said:

No, it's not.  This has been well documented on the P3D forum and here.

I wouldn't call a bunch of people blaming P3D for their DEVICE_HUNGS as "well documented". In my experience its practically a "problem" in the systems, not in the games itself. Some may encounter them after P3D stops because of running out of VRAM, but lets face it, there have already gone wrong before.

Just google "DEVICE_HUNG" and see with how many programs you can get it. Bad gfx tuning (factory OC, custom NVidia profiles, OC by tools like Afterburner) gives you maybe one or two extra frames but it leaves your system in an unstable condition. It then needs only a small push over the limit (like switching views) and let go the driver bazinga. 

Signature3.png

47 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

I wouldn't call a bunch of people blaming P3D for their DEVICE_HUNGS as "well documented". In my experience its practically a "problem" in the systems, not in the games itself. Some may encounter them after P3D stops because of running out of VRAM, but lets face it, there have already gone wrong before.

Just google "DEVICE_HUNG" and see with how many programs you can get it. Bad gfx tuning (factory OC, custom NVidia profiles, OC by tools like Afterburner) gives you maybe one or two extra frames but it leaves your system in an unstable condition. It then needs only a small push over the limit (like switching views) and let go the driver bazinga. 

Stock 1080ti , 8700k at stock, RAM at stock. P3Dv5 crashes, not only DEVICE_HUNG but also kernalbase.dll. With my 20+ years of Windows desktop and server admin, I'm quite sure its not 'pushing' the hardware thats the main issue here. Google other AAA DX12 based games and you'll see the similarities of the crashes being experienced. MS have included developer-side tools to trace DX12 issues so LM should be able to iron the bugs out in due course. https://microsoft.github.io/DirectX-Specs/d3d/DeviceRemovedExtendedData.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeFackel said:

So you call Maddog, Aerosoft, PMDG, et al "a bunch of people"?  They have all made public statements that there are issues to be worked out. I am running a professional level graphics card made for stability in high-demand applications, not a souped-up overclock version of a gaming gpu - yet I can get these driver hangs with certain addons that are quote-unquote "v5 compatible."

Google isn't exactly a credible resource for knowledge.

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

double post

Edited by SimonC
double post

12 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Up until P3Dv4 I was always scared of OOMs and CTDs. They were abundant. Every time there was even a slight pause in the sim I almost got a heart attack because more often than not it meant that CTD is imminent. This got under my skin so hard that even in P3Dv4, when a pause happens, my heart stops for a second even though I know it's probably nothing. And more often than not, it's nothing. CTDs and OOMs were a thing of the past. Then P3Dv5 came along and it's "good ol' days" all over again. That's why I asked if this issue with VRAM is something that LM can do something about or is this just the way it is.

Well honestly, I read it's a DX12 thing. Maybe a dev can do something about it, but from what I read (and I am in no way DX12 expert), DX12 will crash if you step over a certain point. And I do not think that DX12 is necessarily the right choice for flight simulator. Any other game is usually a sandbox, which will allow you do set settings to a certain point and then you play. There are usually no addons. DLCs are usually just some mods or kind of addons, but nothing like in the flight simulator. Here, we load stuff in it, more and more and more, and one wonders we go over the edge? It's easy.

Someone correct me if I am wrong please. I would certainly like to be wrong.

MSFS is DX11 as far as I can see. Maybe that's the reason?

Edited by SimonC
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Just add my tuppence worth (=approx 3c).. I had been running a GTX1080 with 8Gb VRAM. I'd get Device Hung errors when |I was close to running out of VRAM. So whilst not the fault of P3D - over loading the card will inevitably cause instabilty.

Now I've got a pile of old clag PC from 2014 - an i5 4690k clocked to 4.4GHz, and there was no way I was going to be able to increase my CPU and architecture on this old Mobo. But along comes P3D v5 and suddenly a door opens - you can increase your grpahics.

So I went to PHDH on Hawaii with my beloved Real Air Beech Duke Turbine, and swung out towards Honolulu - and DGXI hung hell.

VRAM climbed to 6.4 and beyond. Now bear in mind this is P3D HF1 with EA. 8xAA, 2xMSAA. no cloud shadows and medium texture distance using AS P3D beta for weather - with flat looking clouds that look quite low res (even though I was on ultra res cloud res).

I couldn't even fly out of a little Orbx GA strip - not had that problem since FS2004 days - how nostalgic is that huh? . I guess Orbx will be doing some work to remedy the high VRAM useage in this scenery, as well as P3D will be optimising EA and making relaisitic looking clouds and weather.

So... bottom line is found a used but warrantied EVGA GTX1080 ti online and installed it today. As far as I can remember it, I ramped up my settings to 16xAA, ultra texture rendering, ultra clouds, AG on max, EA on ultra, 8xSSA and it purred along beautifully past Honolulu city at max 8.1Gb VRAM and 35 FPS smooth as butter.

So to use this baby you absolutely need an 11+Gb card that costs over £1200 new!. Card market - a scam? Well maybe - but it's what the market will pay I guess. I paid under £700 so I may be relatively lucky, especially if I recoup a few hunderd for the old card.

In this game you either keep up or stay out (or stay low). It's a harsh world. But boy do I love it with the new graphics card!!!

ps I am an addict, I am an addict I am an addict....:-)) remember there - is - no - cure, and they know it. :-)

ray

Maybe that's the reason I've never seen the DXGI hung... I have 1080ti with 11GB RAM... or simply maybe because I did not overload it (yet).