Sign in to follow this  
Kim Jong-Un

Quality Wings 787

Hi, I’m quite new to flying modern jets so any help would be appreciated! I just picked up the 787 from QW (P3D4) and did my first flight EGLl-FACT and noticed on approach when I selected heading hold the A/C did not in fact do anything! Is there anything else I needed to do? The A/C was no longer in Lnav mode either.. Also another frustrating thing was that there appears to be no direct to button in the CDU I’m sure I’m missing something?

Another issue I came across was in the ascent with the ‘step climbs’ when I set VNAV it would only climb to the altitude set on the MCP. Is there a basic guide to this as I couldn’t see anything in the QW manual.

Many thanks 

20 minutes ago, Sam Roberts said:

noticed on approach when I selected heading hold the A/C did not in fact do anything! Is there anything else I needed to do?

Do you mean if you want to fly an automated approach?

With regard to the aircraft not climbing past the altitude set on the MCP, most airliners will do that. The MCP altitude usually overrides everything as as a hard limit. It is a safety precaution so that when you are cleared to an altitude by ATC, if you dial that in, it serves as both a reminder to you about what level you have been cleared to and it serves as a check to prevent you busting your level clearance.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yes it was when I was on the approach for the ILS when I had vectors, for some reason the a/c didn’t want to listen to the heading dialled in! 

I understand how the MCP works it was just not following the step climbs for some reason I’ll try another flight probably just my user error.

Did you have LOC and GS as the active modes on the FMA ?

If the 787 has the same logic as the 747 and I presume it does, then the only way out of LOC/GS is either a press of TOGA or autopilot off, flight directors off then back on again.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

7 hours ago, Sam Roberts said:

when I selected heading hold the A/C did not in fact do anything!

I suspect it did, it held your heading...

3 hours ago, Sam Roberts said:

for some reason the a/c didn’t want to listen to the heading dialled in! 

It won't if you're in heading hold, you can select whatever you like in the heading window, heading hold simply holds your current heading.

If you want to select a heading then you need to push (have a guess 😉) heading select. Once heading select is active you can twiddle your heading knob to your heart's content and the aircraft will turn to follow it.

7 hours ago, Sam Roberts said:

Also another frustrating thing was that there appears to be no direct to button in the CDU I’m sure I’m missing something?

Yes, you are, you're missing an Airbus 😄. Airbus's have direct to buttons on the FMGC, Boeings don't.

On a Boeing you left line select the waypoint you wish to go direct to, then left line select the top (first) line to make it the next waypoint. Ensure LNAV is annunciated in your FMAs (if not, push it) and off you go.

3 hours ago, Sam Roberts said:

I understand how the MCP works it was just not following the step climbs for some reason

With all due respect, if you're expecting VNAV to step climb above the altitude set in the MCP then you don't understand how the MCP works. I forget if the QW787 has an auto step climb feature (it's a sim thing, the real one doesn't do it) but that would be the thing to look for.

It sounds like you would benefit greatly from doing a tutorial flight that takes you step by step through all these things, commercial airliners are much of a muchness but each is also unique in certain ways, that's why we have type ratings and the like.

You obviously have a reasonable grasp of the basics but a decent tutorial will polish it all off and show you some of the finer points in operating this particular aircraft.

HTH

P.S. crossed with Jef...

Edited by iwebber
Corrected the smelling pistakes
  • Like 1

Hello!

If you select "HDG HOLD"...the plane maintain the present HDG(HOLD). If you want to intercept ILS , first you need to establish an interception HDG with "HDG SELECT"function and when established on this HDG(Usually 45° of the final course)you press "LOC"(Sorry I don't remenber if this is exactly this term in the 787)and when established on the LOC you need to press APP to intercept the glide(Of course each time you press a function you need to check the FMA) . If you want to do a "DIRECT TO", there is no "DIR TO" button on the FMS. For making a direct to, select the wpt you want to fly to with the adjacent LSK, it will copy the wpt in the scratchpad, and then press LSK1 and of course LNAV!

Cheers

Jef

Edited by Pat Mussotte

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

On 5/22/2020 at 12:56 AM, iwebber said:

I suspect it did, it held your heading...

It won't if you're in heading hold, you can select whatever you like in the heading window, heading hold simply holds your current heading.

If you want to select a heading then you need to push (have a guess 😉) heading select. Once heading select is active you can twiddle your heading knob to your heart's content and the aircraft will turn to follow it.

Yes, you are, you're missing an Airbus 😄. Airbus's have direct to buttons on the FMGC, Boeings don't.

On a Boeing you left line select the waypoint you wish to go direct to, then left line select the top (first) line to make it the next waypoint. Ensure LNAV is annunciated in your FMAs (if not, push it) and off you go.

With all due respect, if you're expecting VNAV to step climb above the altitude set in the MCP then you don't understand how the MCP works. I forget if the QW787 has an auto step climb feature (it's a sim thing, the real one doesn't do it) but that would be the thing to look for.

It sounds like you would benefit greatly from doing a tutorial flight that takes you step by step through all these things, commercial airliners are much of a muchness but each is also unique in certain ways, that's why we have type ratings and the like.

You obviously have a reasonable grasp of the basics but a decent tutorial will polish it all off and show you some of the finer points in operating this particular aircraft.

HTH

P.S. crossed with Jef...

Top post.

Not having a go at OP as he's here to learn, but every single one of these questions asked shows that he does NOT understand the basics eg what heading hold is meant to do, how to set up an ILS approach and how the MCP limits altitude.

I'd concur with your suggestion that an introductory tutorial is the way to go, and then take things from there.

OP, I'm not a 787 expert but if you have access to any of the PMDG aircraft, the introductory flight tutorial should clarify/solidify all of these points.

The good news is that once you get used to how it works, all of the modern Boeings are fairly similar so it doesn't take long to learn the next one. 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

8 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Top post.

Not having a go at OP as he's here to learn, but every single one of these questions asked shows that he does NOT understand the basics eg what heading hold is meant to do, how to set up an ILS approach and how the MCP limits altitude.

I'd concur with your suggestion that an introductory tutorial is the way to go, and then take things from there.

OP, I'm not a 787 expert but if you have access to any of the PMDG aircraft, the introductory flight tutorial should clarify/solidify all of these points.

The good news is that once you get used to how it works, all of the modern Boeings are fairly similar so it doesn't take long to learn the next one. 

Not having a go at me? This sounds very passive agressive to me...

We all start from somewhere, you assume I'm clueless. I'm not in the world of flying jets. I fly VFR mainly and haven't touched a Jet since FSX which is about 10 years ago. I know how to set up an ILS Approach and dial values to an MCP. 

I'm used to VOR to VOR and have touched on the GTN 750 more recently.. I've done VATSIM IFR flights so I have a grasp of how the world of flying works.

I wouldn't have asked questions if I hadn't already researched i.e. read a manual. Which I have.

Practice makes perfect as they say.

Have a nice day anyway.

37 minutes ago, Kim Jong-Un said:

Not having a go at me? This sounds very passive agressive to me...

We all start from somewhere, you assume I'm clueless. I'm not in the world of flying jets. I fly VFR mainly and haven't touched a Jet since FSX which is about 10 years ago. I know how to set up an ILS Approach and dial values to an MCP. 

I'm used to VOR to VOR and have touched on the GTN 750 more recently.. I've done VATSIM IFR flights so I have a grasp of how the world of flying works.

I wouldn't have asked questions if I hadn't already researched i.e. read a manual. Which I have.

Practice makes perfect as they say.

Have a nice day anyway.

I said that I wasn't having a go at you so that you would be clear that I wasn't having a go at you. Chill. I never assume anything, your comments indicated that you don't know much about any of the points in question so I'm politely suggesting that you do need to go back to the basics, for example to learn what heading hold is (it's not heading select!) and understand how the value you dial in to the MCP affects the aircraft's behaviour.

I'm not making any comment on your VOR-VOR or GTN 750 skills, just your understanding of Boeing jets.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."