Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Possible problems with delid i8700K after 18 months

I had my 8700K delidded for me about 18 months ago.  I have overclocked to 4.8 and have been running without any issues all this time, on liquid cooling with Corsair H115.  Recently (somewhat coincidental to the install of P3D v5), I have noticed my temps are running higher ..... cores reaching 80 to 82 C before falling back into the 70's while flying.....and all of a sudden I am getting CTD for P3D v4 which had not crashed once since install.  There are several culprits but one is ntdll.dll which I know is suspected of happening with unstable overclock.  So my question is this...does the liquid metal degrade over time?.....I sitll have a tube of Arctic Silver so should I take out the CPU, clean and reapply the liquid metal ? 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

11 hours ago, MarkW said:

.does the liquid metal degrade over time?.....I sitll have a tube of Arctic Silver so should I take out the CPU, clean and reapply the liquid metal ? 

Yes it can degrade and yes I would take it out and reapply/reseat your cooler.  Hopefully that's all it is.

Another thing to consider, is that things are warming up for us and the ambient temps rising a bit may factor into things, especially if your paste isn't doing its job or something has become not-as-firmly seated.  Although you being in Toronto it probably hasn't warmed up as much yet.  I know here at KCGI we've had a very cool spring.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks, I actually decided to follow the guide on the CTD forum and started by updating all of my drivers and BIOS.  My BIOS was at version 3 with current at version 16 so hopefully there is some stability issues addressed.  My temps were always a little on the high side honestly... more than I would have expected.  I need to reset the overclock after the BIOS update and will see how we are doing.  I think I might need to eventually reapply the paste and reseat the cooler but I don't have the tools because I had the delid done by someone else.  I am sure he just glued down the corners so should be easier to get the lid off without the delid tool but I reallly don't want to make a big mistake here.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

pretty sure resetting the bios will reset your overclock all on its own and bring you to stock setup

Edited by micstatic

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 5/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, MarkW said:

I had my 8700K delidded for me about 18 months ago.  I have overclocked to 4.8 and have been running without any issues all this time, on liquid cooling with Corsair H115.  Recently (somewhat coincidental to the install of P3D v5), I have noticed my temps are running higher ..... cores reaching 80 to 82 C before falling back into the 70's while flying.....and all of a sudden I am getting CTD for P3D v4 which had not crashed once since install.  There are several culprits but one is ntdll.dll which I know is suspected of happening with unstable overclock.  So my question is this...does the liquid metal degrade over time?.....I sitll have a tube of Arctic Silver so should I take out the CPU, clean and reapply the liquid metal ? 

Mark... do you know what kind of paste was used for your delid? Was it truly liquid metal, something like Thermal Grisly Conductonaut, or was ordinary TIM used? The reason I ask is that when conventional TIM is used, it is possible top get a phenomenon called "pump out" whereby the paste, due to thermal cycling, works its way out. That doesn't usually occur with liquid metal. My 8700K I delidded and used Conductonaut a while back, and no issues at all.

"I sitll have a tube of Arctic Silver so should I take out the CPU, clean and reapply the liquid metal ? "

Arctic Silver is not liquid metal, but if you mean apply between IHS and cooler then yes, that's okay.

It may not be anything to do with your delidding. Some other factor may be at play. Run a stress test and monitor with RealTemp, CoreTemp, Hardware Monitor etc. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, MarkW said:

Thanks, I actually decided to follow the guide on the CTD forum and started by updating all of my drivers and BIOS.  My BIOS was at version 3 with current at version 16 so hopefully there is some stability issues addressed.  My temps were always a little on the high side honestly... more than I would have expected.  I need to reset the overclock after the BIOS update and will see how we are doing.  I think I might need to eventually reapply the paste and reseat the cooler but I don't have the tools because I had the delid done by someone else.  I am sure he just glued down the corners so should be easier to get the lid off without the delid tool but I reallly don't want to make a big mistake here.

If you don't have a delid tool, the IHS can be removed with a blade. How hard that will be is dependant on what was used to glue it down. I always use a high temp silicone, and then its' easy to remove the IHS. 

If you set your BIOS to optimised defaults, and then run something like RealBench and monitor temp, I can do the same with my 8700K and we can compare. Make a note of ambient temp too.