Sign in to follow this  
Eziocin

OS and P3D on two separate drives

I have been using for the last few years Win10 and Prepar3D installed on the same SSD. I remember in the past it was quite common to have OS and Sim installed on two separate drives. Is it still a good practice ? Is there any noticeable advantage in terms of performance in using the "two drives" option ?

Thanks

Ezio 

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

I still use my C:Drive for the O/S only W10, worst case scenario reformate C dive re-install Windows , my sims are safe. I used to re-install windows XP every 18 months which cleaned out windows and loading time got better again.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, Eziocin said:

I have been using for the last few years Win10 and Prepar3D installed on the same SSD. I remember in the past it was quite common to have OS and Sim installed on two separate drives. Is it still a good practice ? Is there any noticeable advantage in terms of performance in using the "two drives" option ?

Thanks

Ezio 

I don't know if there's any performance to be gained, but (IMO) there's certainly is security-wise and maintainability. Also, having P3D installed on the C-drive (especially in C:\Program Files) is rather restrictive on newer versions of Windows (8 and 10) and because of this, I would highly advise against installing P3D in the default location. 

Also - as @G-RFRY already said above - if your computer crashes, you can re-install Windows without losing any data.

Personally I don't have anything besides OS and installed programs (NOT games) on my systemdrive. 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

You will still have to "repair" P3D if your OS gets reinstalled, as unlike X-Plane with it's single location and no registry entry, P3D has many registry entries and config files in the appdata and local data that get wiped, therefore you might need some forward planning when you reinstall your OS.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Jude Bradley said:

You will still have to "repair" P3D if your OS gets reinstalled, as unlike X-Plane with it's single location and no registry entry, P3D has many registry entries and config files in the appdata and local data that get wiped, therefore you might need some forward planning when you reinstall your OS.

Did it for FS 8 9 and FSX no problem I keep 2 backup images Updated one on the cloud and on an external drive.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 5/22/2020 at 12:27 PM, G-RFRY said:

Did it for FS 8 9 and FSX no problem I keep 2 backup images Updated one on the cloud and on an external drive.

But there’s a difference between restoring your system from a backup and a clean Windows install. A restore from a backup puts your system back to were it was before you had a problem, with all the registry entries still intact. Reinstalling Windows gives you a fresh registry which means that most of your apps and games (and add-ons), even if they’re on another drive, will probably need to be reinstalled to create the correct entries.

Edited by vortex681
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 5/22/2020 at 9:01 AM, Eziocin said:

Thanks

Ezio 

Performance-wise I would say no wrt to one or two drives.

There are other benefits from having the sim installed on a larger secondary drive, some of which are mentioned above. The increasing size that the add-ons for aircraft, scenery and various utilities all take additional disk space which is another driver for having the sim on a second and potentially a 3rd drive.

If you are considering additional drives, I would go in the direction of NMVe SSD drives if you have that capability on your MB. Prices for these types of drive are coming down in price and more affordable.Easy to install.

Regards,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Does gameplay get affected if you have it the games stored on a mechanical drive as opposed to the OS SSD drive? I'm only rocking a 500GB NVME m.2 for now to cover everything...

23 hours ago, mattdebrugha said:

Does gameplay get affected if you have it the games stored on a mechanical drive as opposed to the OS SSD drive? I'm only rocking a 500GB NVME m.2 for now to cover everything...

Game?  What game?  The sim will load considerably faster off an SSD than a HDD...and unless you are using lots of big photoscenery areas or doing like Mach 2 on the deck, the lookahead scenery caching works well enough that storage system throughput isn't really noticeable in flight.

For the OP...a separate OS drive does come in handy for backing up the boot drive and OS to protect against the boogered-up Windows updates that keep coming down from Microsoft.  Because it's relatively small and fast, it makes a weekly snapshot of the boot drive with the current OS version just a 10-minute affair.  I use a separate 256GB SSD for the OS for that reason.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

11 hours ago, w6kd said:

Game?  What game?  The sim will load considerably faster off an SSD than a HDD...and unless you are using lots of big photoscenery areas or doing like Mach 2 on the deck, the lookahead scenery caching works well enough that storage system throughput isn't really noticeable in flight.

For the OP...a separate OS drive does come in handy for backing up the boot drive and OS to protect against the boogered-up Windows updates that keep coming down from Microsoft.  Because it's relatively small and fast, making a weekly snapshot of the boot drive with the current OS version just a 10-minute affair.  I use a separate 256GB SSD for the OS for that reason.

Thanks....this is basically what I was expecting, so most likely I will go for this solution.

Regards

Ezio

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

15 hours ago, w6kd said:

Apologies - Sim! OK great - thank you!

Even though access speed is not a big concern with a SSD, I am still a fan of having the OS on its own drive, flight sims on a separate drive.  Yes, it increases costs and power consumption, but I have done it this way for many years and without regrets, unlike back when I had my sims and OS on the same drive that failed.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 5/29/2020 at 5:54 AM, w6kd said:

For the OP...a separate OS drive does come in handy for backing up the boot drive and OS to protect against the boogered-up Windows updates that keep coming down from Microsoft.  Because it's relatively small and fast, it makes a weekly snapshot of the boot drive with the current OS version just a 10-minute affair.  I use a separate 256GB SSD for the OS for that reason.

Alternatively, you could partition a large drive and just backup the (small) OS partition. Saves you needing an extra drive this way. You must be unlucky (or I’m lucky) as I’ve yet to have an update which broke my system.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I have P3D and Flight Sim related apps farmed out onto multiple drives.

And have built a RoboCopy script to pull all the various bits and pieces and config etc. onto an ejectable backup drive, the script even emails me the backup log file.

It's amazing all the bits you don't think about that would typcially be wiped if the OS was re-installed.

e.g. many aircraft place state and config files in the "My Documents" location, for example A2A create quite large numbers of folders (one for every plane installed) for their Accu-Feel product, and other developers do similar.

And I'd hate to loose all the config changes I've performed, things like shader tweaks, changes to stars.dat and many other files.

At least with the scripted backup I can re-install the OS, re-install P3D, then all going well use my backup to restore P3D functionality back to the way it was.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D