• Unlimited (no VSYNC)
    • Unlimited (VSYNC 30Hz Monitor)
    • Unlimited (VSYNC >30Hz Monitor)
    • Unlimited + RTSS (scanline sync)
    • Unlimited + RTSS (framerate limit)
    • Unlimited + Nvidia control panel framerate limit
    • Unlimited + Nvidia inspector framerate limit
    • P3D internal framerate limit
    • Combination of internal and external limiter (external fps < internal fps)
    • Other setup
  2. 2. What is your frame rate limit?

• < 20 fps
    • 20-29 fps
    • 30 fps
    • 60 fps
    • Other limit

Hi!

I'm really interested in how you guys are handling your frame-rate-limit? 🤓

Unfortunately I'm not able to run my monitors on 30Hz and just use VSYNC, as I would guess this is the best option to handle the frame-rate-limit.

So I've been using the internal limiter on 30fps for quite a long time and it was kind of ok.
Then I switched to RTSS with the scanline sync option and internally unlimited, which felt a bit better.

But it would be nice to see what works for most of you 😎

Cheers,

Marc

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Marc Weber

Latest drivers allow for vSync off without tearing, but I still have it on. P3D locked at 33 for smoother panning. FF at 0.15.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Unlimited + NVCP at 30FPS

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Technically, there should be a "No Limit" option for the second question.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Unlimited/Vsync Off in sim and NCP/NVI framerate (I use both) set to 28 for my 60Hz screen.

Greg

I use Vsync and TB on with unlimited and my refresh rate set to 24hz in NCP. With that I use TrackIR5 with a custom profile with the smoothness set to 50 with precision tracking. On top of that I also use the additional smoothing feature in EZCA 3.1 set to about 700. Of course for this to work properly I need the actual frame rate delivered by the sim to be above 24fps. I aim for 30. I tried setting a limit of 30 to Frame Rate in P3D setting to rationalize frame rendering but I found that no mater what I set Frame Rate too other than unlimited in the P3D setting I get some long frame stutters and occasionally a burst of micro stutters. With Unlimited the sim is virtually perfectly smooth.

Edited by Quasimodo

Unlimited in-sim (v-sync off as well), i use nvidia's control panel to enable fast v-sync which, in my case, provides the best smoothness while maintaining high (50+fps) frame rates without any tearing.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Shocked at how many are using the sim's internal framelock.

That tends to slam Core0, which historically isn't a good thing.  I wonder if v5's reservation of extra overflow cores has eliminated that problem?  I can't imagine one-third of simmers using the internal framelock with bad results.  They must be getting smooth stutter-free flight that way somehow?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

20 minutes ago, Mace said:

I can't imagine one-third of simmers using the internal framelock with bad results.  They must be getting smooth stutter-free flight that way somehow?

I can't either. I gave it a good go locking to 30 fps with 30hz and FFTF=0.1. Even with setting that delivered well over 40 fps with Vsync off and Frame rate set to unlimited I see long frame stutter and the odd burst of micro stutters once I turned Vsync, TB on and limited the Frame rate to 30 or 31. Once I reverted back to Unlimited Frame Rate those stutters completely disappeared. Only I suspect that with Unlimited frames the autogen loads closer the aircraft than it does with limited frames. (I'm not sure about that. Will require further testing). All things considered Prepar3D V5 is awesome. It's a huge improvement over V4. Particularly and almost entirely because of TrueSky. I need 20GB of VRAM please!🤪

Edited by Quasimodo

What is the recommended external framerate limiter?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

All 4K displays at 25 hertz

Uimited + VSync

NVCP limited at 26

FTFF Dynamic AGL 0-4000 / 0.01 - 0.25

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 hours ago, Mace said:

Shocked at how many are using the sim's internal framelock.

That tends to slam Core0, which historically isn't a good thing.  I wonder if v5's reservation of extra overflow cores has eliminated that problem?  I can't imagine one-third of simmers using the internal framelock with bad results.  They must be getting smooth stutter-free flight that way somehow?

Very smooth with internal limiter at 30 HZ and monitor at 30 HZ,  Vsync on inside P3D.  Monitor is a Dell 4K 32" (60 Hz native) with 1080ti 11G Vram,  Still on P3D 4.5 though.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Isn’t the frame limiter in NVCP useless and has no affect in P3D? This was according to Nick N at Simforums

Vernon Howells

7 hours ago, lownslo said:

Unlimited/Vsync Off in sim and NCP/NVI framerate (I use both) set to 28 for my 60Hz screen.

Greg

What's the reasoning behind this? I have a 60 hz panel also.