• Unlimited (no VSYNC)
    • Unlimited (VSYNC 30Hz Monitor)
    • Unlimited (VSYNC >30Hz Monitor)
    • Unlimited + RTSS (scanline sync)
    • Unlimited + RTSS (framerate limit)
    • Unlimited + Nvidia control panel framerate limit
    • Unlimited + Nvidia inspector framerate limit
    • P3D internal framerate limit
    • Combination of internal and external limiter (external fps < internal fps)
    • Other setup
  2. 2. What is your frame rate limit?

• < 20 fps
    • 20-29 fps
    • 30 fps
    • 60 fps
    • Other limit

Thanks--I guess I'm just dumb lucky as I didn't notice any tear lines w/o a specified parameter.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

53 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thanks--I guess I'm just dumb lucky as I didn't notice any tear lines w/o a specified parameter.

I never really noticed any either. I think it's more evident in other "games" where you have high FPS and dynamics.  In any event, I a 3840 x 2160 res monitor has 2160 vertical scanlines per frame but some number of those (I can't remember how many) are actually off screen, a kind of buffer. So if you set -1 you are telling RTSS to put the tearline 1 line below the last displayed line, so off screen. you can make that -1 or -2 or any negative number less than the number of lines off screen. Setting it too negative will just wrap the tearline back up to the top and down a number of lines. BTW, this is much more than I really know about the subject 🙂

• Like 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

For those of you who do use unlimited FPS in the sim, how have you resolved autogen popping?  Or simply something you've "lived with?"

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Ive never used a FPS limiter. I get around a fluctuating 30-60FPS at all times, soon as I limit they drop to around 15/16? Am I doing something wrong?

4 hours ago, gronji2004 said:

Ive never used a FPS limiter. I get around a fluctuating 30-60FPS at all times, soon as I limit they drop to around 15/16? Am I doing something wrong?

No one uses the internal limiter in P3D anymore unless they have been living under a rock as it typically causes more harm than good and that has been for a very long time.  If you have stutter-free, fluid video then you're not doing anything 'wrong'.    

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

7 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

For those of you who do use unlimited FPS in the sim, how have you resolved autogen popping?  Or simply something you've "lived with?"

If all else is the same, why is autogen popping better with limiting in sim vs externally? I always thought that was more a function of other parameters.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

54 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

If all else is the same, why is autogen popping better with limiting in sim vs externally?

Beats me.  Giving RTSS a whirl again since multiple people seem to swear by it recently: I observed that limiting via RTSS but setting unlimited in the sim created large swaths of missing autogen until either I paused, locked frames in the sim again, or slowed down significantly.  Was also able to repeat it between sim sessions.  Tried locking RTSS at 30, 36, 40, and 48 with similar results with Vsync in sim both on and off (144 Hz panel with Gsync enabled, flying in windowed mode).

Since there's a lot of opinions on here, and I'm still trying to hone in settings based on recommendations in this thread, that would be applicable to my set up....has anyone gotten "smooth" performance with the following (my FPS seem fine and stable):

-High-refresh panel (120 Hz+)

-Windowed mode

-Nvidia GPU

-P3D v4

Thanks.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:31 AM, CaptKornDog said:

Limit frames with vsync, that's how.  I have no autogen popping, and I run unlimited.

I run Unlimited but with vsync on, and vsync on is a de-facto framerate limiter.  Autogen popping can occur when main thread usage hits 100%, and even before that if thread saturation reaches a high level.   Since I run 30hz (or 50hz or 60hz) refresh with vsync on, I rarely have my main thread hit 100% usage, thus no autogen pop issues.

The only caveat to this is if I fly 600+ knots at low level.  That's a whole different ballgame.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 5/27/2020 at 11:31 PM, CaptKornDog said:

If you read up on the FFTF setting in the sim, you'll see that the unlimited fps setting can starve the sim of texture loading time.. if you get "blurries" or missing autogen, first thing to try is to increase the FFTF setting.  The default when limiting within the sim is 0.33.. which you can try as a test.. but I find that 0.15 does the job for me..  (or look into the FFTF Dynamic app..)

Try this:

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15

• Upvote 1

Bert

On 5/28/2020 at 6:27 AM, Noel said:

No one uses the internal limiter in P3D anymore unless they have been living under a rock as it typically causes more harm than good and that has been for a very long time.  If you have stutter-free, fluid video then you're not doing anything 'wrong'.    

Based on the survey results in this thread, about a third of our members have been "living under a rock".. there appear to be three popular ways of limiting fps.. 😉

• Upvote 1

Bert

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you read up on the FFTF setting in the sim, you'll see that the unlimited fps setting can starve the sim of texture loading time.. if you get "blurries" or missing autogen, first thing to try is to increase the FFTF setting.  The default when limiting within the sim is 0.33.. which you can try as a test.. but I find that 0.15 does the job for me..  (or look into the FFTF Dynamic app..)

+1  Emphasis mine.

Greg

12 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

about a third of our members have been "living under a rock"

That's sad Bert

Noel

16 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Based on the survey results in this thread, about a third of our members have been "living under a rock".. there appear to be three popular ways of limiting fps.. 😉

That’s a rock solid remark Bert 👍

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

16 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Based on the survey results in this thread, about a third of our members have been "living under a rock".. there appear to be three popular ways of limiting fps..

My life under the rock has been solid, fluid, and smooth for years...:biggrin:

Ted

• Upvote 2

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4