Sign in to follow this  
kaha

ORBX TE Washington released

In this video I repeatedly activated and deactivated NA PNW. The add-ons are shown, Seattle (it's just the airports) is active. Most of the video is loading scenes, so just fast forward over it.

https://vimeo.com/421965291

Karl

Edit: 2nd take at 4:23 

Edited by kaha

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

On 5/23/2020 at 5:02 AM, Nemo said:

I have removed DD Seattle area but kept the airports.

am I correct in saying that you uninstalled Seattle X and just didn't remove it from the add-ons ?

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

21 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

am I correct in saying that you uninstalled Seattle X and just didn't remove it from the add-ons ?

No. I completely removed DD Seattle and did then re-install the Seattle Airports only. (DD Seattle has two installers, one for the airports one for the city).

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

just doesn't work for me, I did it according to the manual and  "After that please execute the “SeattleCityX to NO.reg”  so if I do that and re-install the airports it still won't work. Also if I just disable the Seattle X the airports stay. Doesn't matter I guess.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

How does it compare to the X-Plane version in terms of traffic (cars, trucks etc.) on top of the photorealistic roads? Does it render smaller bridges as a 2D texture across the water, as a 3D object or does it just cut small bridges out of the scenery? How well does the autogen blend into the scenery?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I just purchased it a few days ago , this is what I have observed:

1. Textures at low altitude look very low res ( especially the farm textures ). Something out of FS98 or something like that . Unlike the Orbx regions where textures look very sharp even at low altitudes.

2. Trees don't blend into the scenery well. This is with Orbx and TF trees together ( might have to experiment with tree types via the configurator though)

3. Scenery is very dark and over saturated. This presents problems if your are flying in and out of the TE areas ( you will have to change your sim HDR settings when leaving the area  - since regular Global textures are much more bright) when you are in TE area - you have to significantly increase your brightness and lower your contrast/saturation .Changing settings in flight is a bit clunky.

4. The scenery looks great at high altitude  and mountains look really good to.

However , it may be a pass for me. I still prefer Orbx regions ( in my opinion - the "crème de la crème of Orbx products - too bad they did not do the entire Rocky Mountain areas in this. The regions from almost 10 years ago still have more high res textures and in my opinion look fine.

with photo and ortho scenery , Xplane seems like the king here.  But FS2020 is coming down the pipe and it might be just what we need to fly in real "photorealistic" scenery.

56 minutes ago, AdvancedFollower said:

How does it compare to the X-Plane version in terms of traffic (cars, trucks etc.) on top of the photorealistic roads? Does it render smaller bridges as a 2D texture across the water, as a 3D object or does it just cut small bridges out of the scenery? How well does the autogen blend into the scenery?

Most bridges seem to be 3D although I can not speak to EVERY bridge. Traffic tends to follow the new roads just fine (minus the photo cars still being on the roads...) autogen seems to be ok. I did find a few spots where autogen houses are in the water, especially inside Seattle. 

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

39 minutes ago, CaptainNick said:

Most bridges seem to be 3D although I can not speak to EVERY bridge. Traffic tends to follow the new roads just fine (minus the photo cars still being on the roads...) autogen seems to be ok. I did find a few spots where autogen houses are in the water, especially inside Seattle. 

P3d v5 is looking more tempting by the day. I am using P3d v.4.5 and it looks nothing like this. First I thought that I was watching the Xplane version. Enhanced atmosphere is a complete game changer. Good bye 2003ish "sky textures" and  fiddling around with shaders! 

I hope the bugs get ironed out with ASN and P3d v5 soon!

My meager review, I do 95% of my flying in Washington/Oregon state with GA and I have all the regions, I was going to say I'm disappointed but actually I kinda like it.

First the downside, if you want to buzz treetops and fly over your house you might be disappointed, if you're expecting fs20 type scenery this ain't it.

The positives, where this thing shines though is 2500+ AGL the other strong point is that it has very good mesh which really brings it to life. If you like GA and do VFR/VOR flying then this is indeed a treat. Another positive, just don't take this as an airport scenery, the coverage is quite large, I went over the mountains and it was very nice. I once spent days doing an "Ortho for P3D" and it was word not allowed. Consider TEW like a very well done Ortho+Mesh+Autogen except that it took me 15 minutes for a hassle free install and it blended in blended in perfectly with Airport/SeattleX. For me for the amount of flying I do it was worth it.

HTwpXg3.jpg

I am fascinated that one would still spend the dollars to buy an Orbx Region now.

Dont get me wrong they have provided us all with many happy hours and some of their products are fantastic but cost wise when we add up the investment and we see whats just around the corner with MFS2020 its hard for me personally to buy any thing else for P3D.

But I was a big FS9 fan so I do get it but we are facing a rewriting of the history books when the new Sim is released...

H.

2 hours ago, Hamish100 said:

I am fascinated that one would still spend the dollars to buy an Orbx Region now.

Dont get me wrong they have provided us all with many happy hours and some of their products are fantastic but cost wise when we add up the investment and we see whats just around the corner with MFS2020 its hard for me personally to buy any thing else for P3D.

But I was a big FS9 fan so I do get it but we are facing a rewriting of the history books when the new Sim is released...

H.

I wonder how long it will be after MSFS20 arrives before I can get to the same or better level of overall satisfaction as an armchair pilot, which I've been for decades.  I'm sure how I use MSFS20 as a sim will change by necessity.  P3D 4.5 is so satisfying it's almost a form of meditation for me.  Using FSCaptain for all flights except for testing reallly adds alot of immersion and purpose.  I'm more of a buy and hold simmer and as long as I'm happy w/ performance and the total experience I don't have a pressing need to change so I won't buy P3D V5 w/o first seeing MSFS20.  Once again, P3D 4.5 is really quite good already, good enough to enjoy and that's what it's all about.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

H.

Or so we hope...  the sim is not yet in beta.. 😉

Bert

H.

well “just around the corner” is subjective. That could be December...maybe sooner maybe later. I’ll spend my 40 bucks now and be happy. Not like the money I would have spent is going in some mythical savings jar for fs2020 jar...

not only that but fs2020 could very well be a flop if it is not all it has been promised and ultra hyped to be...

• Like 2

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

14 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

well “just around the corner” is subjective. not only that but fs2020 could very well be a flop if it is not all it has been promised and ultra hyped to be...

interesting point, there are two parts to a sim scenery and flying. You can have poor scenery and excellent flight dynamics or very nice scenery and cartoon flight. If FS20 turns out to have cartoon flight dynamics I wouldn't be surprise to see captains bail.

As for buying a scenery, by the time FS20 comes out it will have cost me $0.10/hr so that also is subjective.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:40 PM, planechaser said:

P3d v5 is looking more tempting by the day. I am using P3d v.4.5 and it looks nothing like this. First I thought that I was watching the Xplane version. Enhanced atmosphere is a complete game changer. Good bye 2003ish "sky textures" and  fiddling around with shaders! 

I hope the bugs get ironed out with ASN and P3d v5 soon!

The new atmospheric model makes a big difference. It has a huge performance hit at higher settings, but Medium looks almost as good and works fine on my GTX 1070. It does make the old semi-3D billboard clouds and cartoon-ish colors of the regular model look extremely dated.

I'm still very torn on TE for P3D, as I already purchased all the regions for XP11 and OrbX are offering no crossgrade discounts. The way the autogen blends into the scenery (PBR?), the smoothness, the flight model etc. makes XP11 almost perfect for me, minus just a few things, most importantly the AI air traffic and ATC. I'm hesitant to buy the P3D versions only to be faced with blurries, stutters and endless tweaking...

On 6/3/2020 at 12:17 AM, Hamish100 said:

H.

It's interesting how I've almost become "attached" to the old OrbX regions when flying P3D. They feel like "home" in all their imperfection, superimposed roads and repeatedly tiled textures...Switching to TE would be almost like saying goodbye to a good friend.

Edited by AdvancedFollower

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP