Sign in to follow this  
ChuckOman

Training specific word COM or COMM ?

Hi Bryan -

I have been using FS2C v1.4 NGXu with some success - most commands reliably recognized. But monitoring the green window, I realize recognizer still struggles with the voice comm and nav frequency setting commands. 

- I have tried training specific words, but wonder: should be training "comm" to be spelled "com" or "comm" for FS2C - or does it matter ?  Should I be training single digits like "two" to be recognized as "two" or "2" - or does it matter ?

- Is there any issue in v 1.4 with the "set xxx.xx in comm 2" command ?  It seems to always set the standby window.

Chuck O

5 minutes ago, ChuckOman said:

Hi Bryan -

I have been using FS2C v1.4 NGXu with some success - most commands reliably recognized. But monitoring the green window, I realize recognizer still struggles with the voice comm and nav frequency setting commands. 

- I have tried training specific words, but wonder: should be training "comm" to be spelled "com" or "comm" for FS2C - or does it matter ?  Should I be training single digits like "two" to be recognized as "two" or "2" - or does it matter ?

- Is there any issue in v 1.4 with the "set xxx.xx in comm 2" command ?  It seems to always set the standby window.

Chuck O

Hi Chuck,

It's looking for comm with two m's.

Example: Set 121 point 5 on comm one

I think there's a limitation... I think we can only set it to standby in Comm 2.

Perhaps a bug... we'll check for Comm 2 standby... it may be a PMDG limit though.  I forget.

Edited by byork

Thanks !

So I will train recognizer to transcribe comm with two m's .

Should I train it to transcribe comm "one", or comm "1" - and does it matter ?

Chuck

Thanks.  Discovering that training specific words really improves accuracy.

Have added "LNAV", "VNAV", and "bug up" to my speech dictionary.

Wondering about spaces in some phrases:  Should I be training

"QNH" to transcribe as "QNH" or "Q N H"?

"APU" to transcribe as "APU" or "A P U"?

"Autothrottle" or "Auto throttle" ?

If this works, would it be worthwhile to post a set of FS2Crew specific words and phrases for users to train into their speech dictionaries.  Or have you already done that somewhere and I've just missed it?

Regards

Chuck

Edited by ChuckOman
spelling

Hi Chuck,

There's no published list, but generally speaking if you run the voice training you shouldn't have to do any of this.

APU is written as A P U

Autothrottle is written as auto throttle

QNH is written as Q N H

Edited by byork

Assume there is no harm in voice training, right ?

I have FS2Crew working on both FSL A320 and PMDG NGXu. Command recognition is almost perfect now (high nineties) on both, except that the NGXu version struggles with the radio commands like:

SET 119 point 2 0 0  ON STANDBY COMM one;

SET 119 point 2 0 0  ON COMM one;

SET115 point 7 0 on standby NAV one

the recognition mistakes are typically substitution of "Nav" when I actually said "Comm", or omitting "standby".

Odd thing is that I have trained up the speech recognizer on these specific phrases so recognition of these phrases is consistently perfect when dictating them into wordpad.  Nonetheless FS2Crew still struggles with these particular radio commands when I say them in the sim.  Any thoughts on why this might be? 

I've got the PMDG cockpit engine sounds turned down to 30, and my headset is a corsair that covers my ears completely.

It's hard to say... speech recognition can be influenced by a million variables.  Do you see the phrase in the green bar?

But if you're getting command recognition in the high 90 percent, you're doing really good.

Yes, I always keep the green bar showing - that's how I discovered the recognition errors are so specific to the commands that set the NGXXu comm and nav frequencies, whereas other phrases work fine.  The recognizer has no trouble with the radio commands when I dictate into wordpad, but when I say the identical phrase to FS2Crew,  for some reason it messes up.

I tried setting all the NGXu cockpit sounds to zero thinking that background noise might somehow be leaking from my phones across my mike, but doing that made no improvement.