Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

I have finally uninstalled P3D4.5 !!!!......... and........

15 hours ago, Clipper Ocean Spray said:

Agreed, v4.5 was so reliable for me

Why do you guys uninstall a simulator that WORKS? Makes absolutely no sense to me. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SimonC said:

Can you describe the circumstances a bit? I am yet to get any BSOD's or CTD's out of v5.

I am still waiting for FSLabs, but I have the PMDG747 and Majestic in there. None have managed to crash it yet. The flights were just on AP, nothing grand. I have ORBX Global titles.

What I'd also be interested in if you have observed what the VRAM is showing prior to crash?

Circumstances are flying the NGXu which is not supported officially yet using Active Sky P3D beta which also seems to have a CTD problem for some people. Along with that I use AIG traffic and your everyday payware airport sceneries and Orbx. Nothing special. I fly in VR though.

It happens some 10 mins or so after I reach TOC that I keep running into BSODs. I didn't check VRAM in this case but it's usually around 4.2 GB in VR out of 9+ GB available with my 2080 Ti (W10 2004 beta not installed). Settings are reasonable to account for VRAM and flying VR in stereo mode instead of single pass which eats FPS for breakfast. I do this to be able to use trueSKY in VR because trueSKY isn't available in single pass yet.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Is simply making a back-up before installing a new version no option?
Could save a lot frustration I assume.
If thats not possible.
I would say.

Use the PC for just one simulator and  make a complete system-image before installing a new version. 

If the new version does not make you happy (or worse) , re-install the image.
It might take a bit of disk-space, nobody said flightsim is cheap.
Being an X-Plane user, I might see things to simple.

Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

On 5/23/2020 at 5:39 AM, omarsmak30 said:

Honestly, don't or you will hit yourself into a wall lol. When I first instead v5, it welcomed me with a CTD lol. I think by 5.1 or 5.2 it will be better. Maybe even the second coming hotfix could help but I don't see if it will help that much. I think they may need some time to stabilize it 

That's a very misleading statement, along with the "we've all been struggling with v5", which is blatantly not true. You're suggesting that P3D v5 is likely to give another person a crash to desktop and be unusable?? 

Too much anti-v5 fake news around here. P3D v5 is not perfect, but that's a million miles from a typical user experience, even if it happened to you. If it did, do you post your bug on the P3D forums, or ask for assistance here?

I'm not silly enough to delete my v4.5 install, but I doubt I'll ever fly it again. I'm sure I'm well over 100 hours in P3D v5 - it's 6am in the morning and I'm still flying it in Orbx TE WA with the A2A P40 right now - and P3D v5 is giving me the best experience that I've had in 25 years of flight simming.

If you're on the fence about giving P3D v5 a try and you have decent hardware, my strong advice is to just go ahead and get it now.  

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 5/23/2020 at 5:34 AM, flyinpilot212121 said:

Same here, haven’t purchased V5, I wanted too and was planning on but it seems that it needs to mature a little before I take the plunge, but it will be dependant on the timeline that it gets to the stable level.

Just do it. Your hardware is not ideal, but you should be OK if you are sensible. If that advice is wrong, you can blame me! Like a lot of people, I have a fully stable sim that looks and performs a whole lot better than v4.5. I certainly loved v4.5 in its time, but the world has moved on.

• Upvote 1

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Bite the bullet, man up, cast off the shackles of doubt get...V5! 😎

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

20 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Bite the bullet, man up, cast off the shackles of doubt get...V5! 😎

I'm not so sure, Mr Attwood. Prepar3d v5 may not be suitable for casual simmers who are easily discouraged. If, however, he is made of stern stuff and ready to see Prepar3d in all its beauty - yes, surely, he should proceed.

Oz

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

That's a very misleading statement, along with the "we've all been struggling with v5", which is blatantly not true. You're suggesting that P3D v5 is likely to give another person a crash to desktop and be unusable?? 

Too much anti-v5 fake news around here. P3D v5 is not perfect, but that's a million miles from a typical user experience, even if it happened to you. If it did, do you post your bug on the P3D forums, or ask for assistance here?

I'm not silly enough to delete my v4.5 install, but I doubt I'll ever fly it again. I'm sure I'm well over 100 hours in P3D v5 - it's 6am in the morning and I'm still flying it in Orbx TE WA with the A2A P40 right now - and P3D v5 is giving me the best experience that I've had in 25 years of flight simming.

If you're on the fence about giving P3D v5 a try and you have decent hardware, my strong advice is to just go ahead and get it now.  

Sure, open other threads and look at the Facebook groups and P3D forums. Look how much being reported, maybe I am wrong and I hope so. Perhaps it worked good for you and I am happy to hear that that you didn't go through the same annoying path as I did. But I am not an anti v5 and is not fake news. I didn't say "oh is ugly and etc etc", I said it is not a fully stable release which is true, for example the vram algorithm needs some tweaking. Was the same when v4 came out and look how rock solid 4.5 now. Hence, I believe with coming versions of v5 it will be stabilize better. Look at the XP11 with Vulkan, how many iterations LR has taken to stabilize the beta (they are at beta9 now and still not fully stable), changing the graphics API is a massive work, same for OpenGL to Vulkan and DX11 to DX12. Therefore, definitely it needs some time to stabilize as there are many edge cases werent seen through the development and private testing. 

Edited by omarsmak30

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Jeez, why so serious? It's a bloody game.

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Just do it. Your hardware is not ideal, but you should be OK if you are sensible. If that advice is wrong, you can blame me! Like a lot of people, I have a fully stable sim that looks and performs a whole lot better than v4.5. I certainly loved v4.5 in its time, but the world has moved on.

Nah I wouldn’t  blame you or anyone else, I’m looking at upgrading the ol system in the near future! 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

On 5/22/2020 at 6:47 PM, David Roch said:

....between the various CTDs, the BSODs, the GPU hangs and the kernell thingies, I am not able to fly more than 1 hour or 2.
And every time I launch the sim after a crash or a simple test I have to wait 15 minutes until the sim loads.
And nothing more frustrating than spending one hour preparing a flight, preparing the plane, calling for pushback... and crashing to desktop.
So... I have just reinstalled P3D4.5.
Average: 12 hours work if I want all my addons back.
For now, I have just reinstalled the ORBX stuff and my beloved FSLabs series.
What a super plane!

And what a dumb I am!
😄

Yea :biggrin:, that's called " learning it the hard way ". 

Sweet rememberences are coming along about my own dullness during my personal way of learning flight simulation the hard way over almost ten years  :blush: .  But it pays off, because this hobby is JUST BEAUTIFUL !!!!

animals-horse-horseshoes-pitching_shoes-

Edited by KBUR

2 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Sure, open other threads and look at the Facebook groups and P3D forums. Look how much being reported, maybe I am wrong and I hope so. Perhaps it worked good for you and I am happy to hear that that you didn't go through the same annoying path as I did. But I am not an anti v5 and is not fake news. I didn't say "oh is ugly and etc etc", I said it is not a fully stable release which is true, for example the vram algorithm needs some tweaking. Was the same when v4 came out and look how rock solid 4.5 now. Hence, I believe with coming versions of v5 it will be stabilize better. Look at the XP11 with Vulkan, how many iterations LR has taken to stabilize the beta (they are at beta9 now and still not fully stable), changing the graphics API is a massive work, same for OpenGL to Vulkan and DX11 to DX12. Therefore, definitely it needs some time to stabilize as there are many edge cases werent seen through the development and private testing. 

V5 is stable enough for me , and with some tweaks it looks very good.. on KY old hardware (i7 4970k and 1080ti and 16gb internal mem) i run the Sim very smooth with all settings , read all visuals options out there on max!  I also used envshade that makes it look much better. I never experienced any crash so far.  it runs without any stuttering with true earth netherlands , the ground textures are loading very fast with all orbx addons, No blurry. Its sharp and detailed also at the distance. No weird shadow issues its looks solid. Its a serious big improvement over v4. And that on a old processor! I think there is something wrong with your hardware. 

I really hope HF2 fixes the cloud artifacting. Very annoying. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Jeez, why so serious? It's a bloody game.

Amen and Amen.

Vic green

4 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I'm not so sure, Mr Attwood. Prepar3d v5 may not be suitable for casual simmers who are easily discouraged. If, however, he is made of stern stuff and ready to see Prepar3d in all its beauty - yes, surely, he should proceed.

Stern stuff to play a sim? Yea, you gotta have hair boy! You better have steel balls. You gotta be man enough to tear open cans with your bare teeth and gargle peanut butter. Gonna play with V5. You better be able to catch bullets with your teeth and make Covid19 wishing there was a cure from you. Next to you bad bad Leroy Brown looks like The Scarlet Pimpernel. Then and only then will you be man enough for P3DV5 in all its beauty.

• Like 1

Vic green