Sign in to follow this  
canadiantree

Force feedback expectations in 2020

I remember un boxing my sidewinder force feedback pro joystick over 20 years ago and pairing it with FS98. I was wondering if any of you still had interest in the novelty and whether you had any expectations for the upcoming MSFS. I personally would love a joystick rendering turbulence and vibrations accurately (landing gear, flaps, wind, etc.) 

• Upvote 2

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

I have nothing to go on but speculation, but this seems like a good time for Microsoft to re-introduce their force feedback controls for MSFS.  It certainly wouldn't surprise me, and fits the new MSFS "product line". 🙂 

We might even see a new VR system from the combination of Microsoft and Asobo.  They've already made something similar with the Hololens.

Hook

• Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I still use force feedback and really hope it is implemented in MSFS. Flying without force feedback is not nearly as enjoyable to me especially during take offs and landings.

I used to have a MS Sidewinder joystick a lot of years ago which I used with FS98 and later upgraded to my Logitech G940.

As Hook said, I hope Microsoft re-introduces their force feedback joysticks for MSFS. It is very hard to find a force feedback joystick now in 2020.

Edited by Pugilist2
  • Upvote 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Brunner's website mentions that their force feedback products will be compatible with 2020.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

2 hours ago, canadiantree said:

I remember un boxing my sidewinder force feedback pro joystick over 20 years ago and pairing it with FS98. I was wondering if any of you still had interest in the novelty and whether you had any expectations for the upcoming MSFS. I personally would love a joystick rendering turbulence and vibrations accurately (landing gear, flaps, wind, etc.) 

If it is done accurately, not just some random bumps and vibrations but accurate change of forces needed to move the controls according to type of aircraft, speed, altitude etc., then yes, absolutely. I'd love to have that in the new sim.

I always find the discussions about realistic flight models kind if weird  when we move the control surfaces with joysticks or yokes that in no way represent the feel of the real thing.

The flight model and the forces felt in the stick or yoke must work together to simulate how it feels in the real aircraft.

So any flight model should include a kind of calibration preset for the force feedback device. So an in-house solution by Microsoft should be a good start.

I would highly appreciate that.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 2

I don't fly without my Microsoft FF2 joystick.  I've even bought additional ones on EBay because I fear that someday they won't be available.  AND are they priced high on Ebay.  There are many devotees of this stick.

WHAT A WONDERFUL TIME FOR MICROSOFT TO INTRODUCE A BRAND NEW FORCE FEEDBACK JOYSTICK!  I will be first in line for one, and I'm sure it will sell heavily in the simmer market, as well as other markets.

Stan

• Upvote 3

I would like to see a new sidewinder family of controllers being released by Microsoft. Including the FF ones.

Would be really to have them totally compatible with new sim.

• Upvote 1

Well I didn't exepct anyone still using their old Sidewinder FF joysticks lol, I still have mine, the 2nd iteration. Is there any other choice in the market? I too would love Microsoft to release a new version. I guess there isn't much demand. I guess there are no FF yokes? Just joysticks?

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

On 5/23/2020 at 7:26 PM, canadiantree said:

I've said it before but I'll say it again, I totally hope for FF support. My good ole MSFF2 has been sitting on the shelf for the last couple years, awaiting a new job. While I'm not exactly sure how turbulence would be rendered in a joystick, as you simply can't feel turbulence on a stick irl, I'd definitely like to have great ground effects. And again, repeating myself, a killer feature would be if you could feel the runway centerline lights when you hit them with the gear. I'd really freak out if we got a thump plus an accompanying sound. This is a very prominent effect irl.

Tools like FSForce have brought a way more realistic trim solution to the sim, which has been just wrong from day 1. I'm not complaining though, as it's just a very different thing to "trim away the forces" on a real stick than trimming on a self-centering joystick that has a fixed and not changing center point. Actually I'd appreciate a hybrid solution for MSFS where you could enable or disable realistic trim for a FF device or just leave it the classic and practicable, albeit a bit more unrealistic way.

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:39 PM, vp49p3 said:

Brunner's website mentions that their force feedback products will be compatible with 2020.

I`d kill for a force feedback yoke, but 1200 euros... 😩

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Force feedback is in, just not functional yet