Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

Why I reinstalled p3dv4 with flyinside for VR

Hi guys ,

After flying my ga aircraft in Xplane11(washed out colors and a lot of shimmering) for almost a year and trying to like aeroflyfs2 as much as I can I decided to install p3dv4 again. 

I had removed it because it kept crashing quite often with flyinside and native vr didn't work anymore. The installation was 3 years old and there were a lot of addons I had tried and removed and it was a mess.

Yesterday I decided to perform a fresh p3dv4 install, ASN, Rex textures and orbx true-earth UK.

Native VR crashed immediately when I turned on VR (rift s). Too bad.

I installed flyinside again after owning it for two years and actually I was very pleasantly surprised how smooth and comfortable it felt. I love the a2a aircraft and they actually looked very crisp an clean to me.

What I appreciate in flyinside:

-Crisp, colourful appearance and adjustable saturation and brightness

-very easy to adjust cockpit size to increase readability

- easy to import other windows for PDFs, charts, notes etc

- brilliant implementation of zooming assigned to joystick axis.

I had abandoned flyinside for quite a while but now I realize how good it actually is. I spent a lot of time tweaking xplane11 but the shimmering is pretty bad, no way to adjust cockpit size and very full colors.

Afs2 looks very good but the flight dynamics are mediocre at best and I don't like the fact that weather is no way near the level of p3d/ASN.

Almost bought p3dv5 but decided to give my previously purchased software a chance. Glad I did.

Just wanted to share my experiences with you.

Cheers

Jozeff

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jozeff said:

Hi guys ,

After flying my ga aircraft in Xplane11(washed out colors and a lot of shimmering) for almost a year and trying to like aeroflyfs2 as much as I can I decided to install p3dv4 again. 

I had removed it because it kept crashing quite often with flyinside and native vr didn't work anymore. The installation was 3 years old and there were a lot of addons I had tried and removed and it was a mess.

Yesterday I decided to perform a fresh p3dv4 install, ASN, Rex textures and orbx true-earth UK.

Native VR crashed immediately when I turned on VR (rift s). Too bad.

I installed flyinside again after owning it for two years and actually I was very pleasantly surprised how smooth and comfortable it felt. I love the a2a aircraft and they actually looked very crisp an clean to me.

What I appreciate in flyinside:

-Crisp, colourful appearance and adjustable saturation and brightness

-very easy to adjust cockpit size to increase readability

- easy to import other windows for PDFs, charts, notes etc

- brilliant implementation of zooming assigned to joystick axis.

I had abandoned flyinside for quite a while but now I realize how good it actually is. I spent a lot of time tweaking xplane11 but the shimmering is pretty bad, no way to adjust cockpit size and very full colors.

Afs2 looks very good but the flight dynamics are mediocre at best and I don't like the fact that weather is no way near the level of p3d/ASN.

Almost bought p3dv5 but decided to give my previously purchased software a chance. Glad I did.

Just wanted to share my experiences with you.

Cheers

Jozeff

I’m glad you’re enjoying VR, but this post could easily lead to misunderstandings.

1. FlyInside development is pretty slow at the moment - I see that the developers are not aware that v4.5 has been updated with hotfixes. Forum: https://forum.flyinside-fsx.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7886

Future compatibility is speculative at this stage.

2. The Rift S is fully compatible with P3D v4.x and P3D v5 HF1 in native VR.

If you are getting a crash, you have an issue with your P3D or other software install. I’ve been using the Rift DK2, CV1 and S for maybe 5 years now - they work great with native VR in this simulator, and are the most commonly used headsets.

If anyone is thinking that there is a problem with Rift S and P3D v4.x after reading this post - no, there is not. V5 had some problems in native VR mode that were largely fixed by HF1, so it is now working well.

I would suggest to anyone considering VR to give the native mode a good go first. If you’re thinking of buying FlyInside, go over to the forums first and convince yourself that it’s compatible with your version of P3D.

As someone who has spent many hundreds of hours using FlyInside, v4 native and v5 native my suggestion would absolutely be to fly in native VR in Prepar3d v5, using Steam VR if you have a Rift S.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Ok, fair enough.

I used p3dv4 native VR for more than a year and I really liked it. You are absolutely right that it works pretty good although taking the headset of each time I want to use the menus is a bit annoying.

Somehow I couldn't get native VR to work. This could very well be an Oculus problem, a previously installed version of flyinside or a problem occuring in my PC.

By no means I want to spread the word that native p3dv4 VR is rubbish. Just wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised by flyinside again after not using it for over a year.

Haven't used p3dv5 so can't comment on that. I will buy it eventually, no doubt.

It is also true that development at flyinside is very, very slow. Their product is well thought-out but seems abandoned at the moment. It does the trick for me as it is so I'm satisfied.

Thanks for your input 😉