Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

XP Desktop Shortcut to a Different Drive

Been a LONG time since I've been on the forums. I've run into this issue with X-Plane, as well as some other games not installed on my primary Operating System storage device. I should have realized this could be a problem but I suppose I was just too optimistic. Essentially:

I have X-Plane installed on a secondary SSD. It's been that way for a while; the sim runs fine, nothing crashes. Now, it's critical to understand that this "secondary SSD" used to be my main storage device (it used to have the OS on it), until I did some hardware upgrades to an M.2 nvme chip, so now that SSD just primarily houses games. However, I've noticed when I try to run Vulkan, the sim tells me I need the NVidia Driver newer than 440. But let me clarify, my graphics driver is up to date (445.87). This seems to be happening because X-Plane (as well as other games that encounter this same issue on that SSD) are recognizing the old graphics driver on the SSD they are currently installed on, instead of referencing the current graphics driver on the main storage device which runs the operating system.

So I guess my question is two-fold... since X-Plane is stored on a different drive, how do I get it to recognize the new graphics driver on my main drive. On the old drive, where can I find any irrelevant driver info and delete it?

Thank you. I'm hoping I'm just missing something pretty straightforward here. I'm running latest Windows 10 with a 1080ti.

All the best,

Joe

After a lot of fruitless research, I was able to seemingly fix this issue in an extremely simple fashion. The old SSD still had the "Windows" folder on it. I didn't know if deleting it could cause issues or not. I renamed it "Windows.old", and X-Plane now seems to be referencing the correct driver information.

Edited by Joe Flyer2