Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Do simmers have an inferiority complex ?

Theses days, the common wisdom in the sim community seems to be :

Lockheed-Martin is only really interested by the pro market, the simmers are just beta-testers for them. 

Microsoft is only really interested by the Xbox gamer market where the big numbers are, not the PC simmer market. 

Austin Meyer is only really interested in developing an aircraft design tool for the aircraft industry not a full fledge simulator with sceneries, weather and ATC for simmers. 

Do I see a pattern here 😇 ?

• Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

LOL... Maybe you have a good point.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Aerowinx PSX, the Best Ever 747-400 sim is primarily oriented at RW 744 pilots, with the out-of-windshield and weather visuals extremely simplified / too simplified to please simmers...

ELITE IFT is mainly oriented towards IFR training with less focus on World and Weather visuals, although it can be used with external visuals ( P3D )...

and the pattern continues...

That's probably the reason why guys like me, who started simming with full dedication around 1992, sometimes divert towards combat flight simulators ( ? ) 

That's probably why the only sims I have installed these days are DCS and IL2...

Indeed a good point Dominique !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi Dominique!

It has occurred to me that LM might be readying a migration from the ESP base to MSFS2020. Migrating all the current aircraft models and sceneries to the new base would relieve LM from much of the maintenance of the current sim code and enable them to concentrate on the training roles. 🤣

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

10 minutes ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Hi Dominique!

It has occurred to me that LM might be readying a migration from the ESP base to MSFS2020. Migrating all the current aircraft models and sceneries to the new base would relieve LM from much of the maintenance of the current sim code and enable them to concentrate on the training roles. 🤣

I tend to think that way myself. We call our hobby "Flight Simulator" however, more and more what we have going on over the past 10 years or so is really flying in what is becoming an "Earth Simulator". As I watch the effort and money that MS is throwing into this new simulator I more and more believe that MS is very interested in much more than getting "little Johnny's" money at Christmas time. Training with Simulators is a solid part of our future either here on Earth, on Mars or the moon. It is easy enough to see a future where MS, Boeing, LM, and many others will migrate towards using a common "Earth Simulator" to develope their training programs and ideas.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Just now, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Hi Dominique!

Hello Richard! Hope all is well on your side.

Let's not be too harsh with LM. After all, they invented a great trick to boost the poor simmer's confidence. You pay three times the price and Shazam! you are a pro.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

28 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Hello Richard! Hope all is well on your side.

Let's not be too harsh with LM. After all, they invented a great trick to boost the poor simmer's confidence. You pay three times the price and Shazam! you are a pro.

That's a good one. I believe most of us are ground bound pilot wannabes trying to live our fantasy hence our demand for more realistic scenery.

On the inferiority subject could that have something to do with the often hypersensitive back lash by so many toward differences in platform preference as well as other differences of opinion, experience or ideas on different sim subjects?

Vic green

19 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Hi Dominique!

Doubtful, the ESP base is a professional product, MSFS is for entertainment.. Never the twain shall meet..

Having said that.. Our Virtual club managed to get a professional sim from FRASCA. It is a 25 year old sim, & was one of three that was purchased & used by our local Air Force. It was also a procedural sim, with graphics driven by a 2nd PC. We've replaced the built-in PC with more modern hardware. Anyway, I'm sure that LM's client base are still happy with the functionality of pro products that they are using, & probably will not change to entertainment licenced games.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Way back when I added a few hours towards my commercial I a FRASCA.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.