Sign in to follow this  
Sabinede

What will become of ORBX?

I have no plans to stop using P3D 4.5 with ORBX (or any later version) just because MS 2020 is being released - for me it will just be something else to use for variety - there is room for all (they will all have their advantages) - still lots of life in P3D with all the existing aircraft addons / scenery / utilities and everything else - and I can use it offline if required with no penalty on existing sim scenery etc - still looking forward to what 2020 can offer in addition to what we already enjoy - interested to see what devs release a migration path for existing products

Edited by julian46

I think that the thread is actually a good one. There are many who think that ORBX and their relationship with LM is all of a sudden going to disappear when fs2020 is released. This thread is an indication that most have no clue of how much influence ORBX has on our beloved hobby or profession.

Update: I've been monitoring the amount of threads on P3D v5 and the issues yet to be resolved. I can't wait to see what is going to happen when fs2020 is released. The forum is going to explode.

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The OP has raised a valid question which is being debated. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 5

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes, for a very first post he sure stirred-up a Killer Hornet's next...

I believe ORBX will survive, but probably won't be reaping the $$$ of the past (assuming FS 2020 is all we think it will be). 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't wish demise on anyone's business. But if what you're selling goes out of fashion or becomes obsolete, sell something else. That's your problem not mine. I have problems of my own to address and I don't bother anyone else with them. If you have compassion find a worthy cause to give your money or time too. Help those who cannot help themselves. As for those who can help themselves but won't, their on their own. The world owes you nothing! You not entitled to anything! Etc. Etc. Etc.😁

Orbx will continue to exist as they support multiple platforms and not only P3D. 

Many users are waiting for MSFS ? Myself I am flying with P3D and probably you too ..

I am not waiting with purchasing Addons either.

@ Sabinede : the list you summed up is how you think that things are going and to me it is clear that you are in the middle of the MSFS hype ... 🥳

And that is fine ..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I would assume that even though MSFS 2020 will have improved airports, they would be no where near the quality of the Orbx, Flytampa, Flightbeam but since I am not a beta tester I don’t really have an idea, I’m just speculating. Assuming there will still be a demand for these airports hopefully they will be able to upgrade many of the current addons for use in the new sim. I know this has been discussed quite a bit but I myself am starting to become a bit hesitant to buy any more scenery for P3d. 

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

2 hours ago, jaytee73 said:

To The OP - I note you are a newcomer to Avsim --Welcome - and maybe a newcomer to simming ?

It would be interesting to know how you can substantiate your statement Re the demise  of moderators !!!!

Might I suggest that somehow you get hold of a copy of the latest PC Pilot - a British publication\

In it is outlined in detail the future plans for Orbyx with interviews with all their senior Staff and they have great plans for the future

including  the opportunities that MS 2020 brings to them. In the article - they talk about increasing the current staff in the UK offices

- possibly to as many as 50 - They have also appointed some very skilful senior management this year - including a new Marketing manager

P3D and XP 11 will still be around for a long time needing Orbyx - as many simmers have large money investments in scenery and Aircraft

- and will still be using them for a long time as an alternative to what MS have to offer. There are too many unknowns at the moment with MSD 2020

Personally - I will be the first to buy MS 2020 on the X Box- and like many of us withy mid range computers - Ms 2020 will be a No - No !!

So I take it Aimee has left Orbx then?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

how many of you guys have actually used MSFS alpha as opposed to just seen pics?

You don't need to be actually in the Alpha to see what MSFS is bringing to our hobby, have you not seen all the leaks on the bilibili website? 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Speaking personally I think plenty of people will stick with P3D and therefore they will continue to buy from ORBX. If you’re an IFR pilot I’m not sure how important seeing the ground as depicted in MFS is when you’re 6 miles up.

For VFR flying MFS might be the preferred simulator providing they have a fast enough internet speed. But for IFR I think there are plenty of reasons why P3D will remain attractive.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Speaking personally I think plenty of people will stick with P3D and therefore they will continue to buy from ORBX. If you’re an IFR pilot I’m not sure how important seeing the ground as depicted in MFS is when you’re 6 miles up.

For VFR flying MFS might be the preferred simulator providing they have a fast enough internet speed. But for IFR I think there are plenty of reasons why P3D will remain attractive.

Ray I tend to agree with you, my intentions regarding the legacy flight sims will depend on how good MSFS is in different areas of flight, if it only excels in VFR i'll use it for that and probably still use either P3D v5 or Xplane 11 for IFR, but if MSFS excels in both VFR and IFR, then i'll most likely transition towards MSFS. Needless to say I'm not saying that I would never use P3D/Xplane ever again because I would, even if just to get my monies worth of the £1,000's spent buying my add ons.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sold on ORBX having to forego development of regions in MSFS.

I see multiple ways to further improve the scenery

- adding POIs that are missing in default.

- licensing photgrammetry that is missing by default and adding it to the scenery library.

- cleaining up areas where Azures procedural generation of vegetation is off.

All stuff that ORBX could do and sell as regional enhancement packages.

• Upvote 2

Being an insider for many sides I can tell you ORBX is going nowhere and in fact will continue to grow very very fast in the next 3 to 5 years.

Same thing as with many other 3rd party providers.

Honestly I can't wait for Microsoft to finally release their GAME so all these speculations finally get out of the way.

And anybody thinking because a new sim is coming all 3rd party developers will disappear, cease to support P3D / XP and only jump into MSFS is absolutely delusional. That ain't gonna happen.

Pay attention to what is going on around you, developers are busy now doing exactly what? All you see lately is developers converting their products to V5 and XP Vulkam, if this is the case their resources are already taken on such current platform projects.. Nothing ELSE.

Secondly All CURRENT simulators platforms are showing signs of continue and long plans for development and quiet frankly they are totally capable of providing similar or better results.

People will use what they want after trying everything and not what they are told to use. So it is a waste of time and energy to try to convince others that simulator X is better than simulator Y, it is the old argument of orange vs apples, some people like orange, some apples and some bananas for an instance. And you will not change their minds just by describing the taste, you have to let them eat one of each.. After that they can do as they like.. 

S.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, eaim said:

So I take it Aimee has left Orbx then?

She has not visited the ORBx forum since September 18 last year, so I am guessing that she is long gone....

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png