Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

MSFS = Loss Leader?

4 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Yes? The Xbox One isn't the Xbox Series X. 

I'm thinking they mean the next gen Xbox. Makes no sense to release it for an outgoing product.

Just now, YVRDXBLHR said:

I'm thinking they mean the next gen Xbox. Makes no sense to release it for an outgoing product.

No, they mean the Xbox One. The next gen Xbox is not the Xbox One. The Xbox One is not outgoing, it will still be supported for years. They've already announced there will be no exclusive Xbox Series X games for the first year or two. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

It was announced to be releasing on the X-Box One when it was first announced. Not the X

5 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

They've already announced there will be no exclusive Xbox Series X games for the first year or two. 

Well no, they said no first party or Microsoft Partner titles will be exclusive. Third party devs are allowed to have exclusive titles if they want.

I assume MSFS is a Microsoft partner project since it's published by Microsoft, and it has Microsoft in the name.

Edited by Tuskin38

6 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

It was announced to be releasing on the X-Box One when it was first announced. Not the X

Well no, they said no first party or Microsoft Partner titles will be exclusive. Third party devs are allowed to have exclusive titles if they want.

I assume MSFS is a Microsoft partner project since it's published by Microsoft, and it has Microsoft in the name.

You need to be careful of the wording here (stupid Microsoft names) The Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X are all the Xbox One family. The Xbox Series X is not part of the Xbox One family and is the next generation. Simply calling it Xbox X could mean either the Xbox One X or the Xbox Series X. 

Yes you are right about the exclusives.

22 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

What typical Xbox gamer who plays Halo and COD is going to be interested in a flight sim?

You could equally ask what typical  Xbox gamer who plays Halo and COD is going to be interested in a train sim? However apparently there are sufficient players on both Xbox & PS4 to outnumber the PC users of Train Sim World. 

Give people power to really test their personality.

13 minutes ago, SamYeager said:

You could equally ask what typical  Xbox gamer who plays Halo and COD is going to be interested in a train sim? However apparently there are sufficient players on both Xbox & PS4 to outnumber the PC users of Train Sim World. 

I'd be interested to know what those numbers are?

On 5/24/2020 at 5:59 PM, ca_metal said:

If they succeed, we will hear about a new version coming before the 10 years have passed, with new or extended partnerships.

So @ca_metal you obviously didn't figure out why they dropped the version number from the title 🙂 as far as we know this is the one and only version, but the 10+ years will provide constant updates.

I always imagined when they talked about 10 years, it was from the initial release but I could be wrong on that.

On 5/24/2020 at 3:03 PM, Cruachan said:

Notwithstanding all the arguments surrounding how we access MSFS when it is eventually RTM, we might feel inclined to consider how Microsoft/ASOBO will recoup their undoubtedly huge existing and ongoing development costs. Why did MS revisit this franchise when history and, arguably, a lack of vision had soured their experience with financial losses and consequent abandonment of the product?

I feel quite lucky that I'm prepared for anything they throw at us even if that means a subscription which is commonplace amongs MMO's.

I feel the vast quanity of scenery on tap and the constant iterative development cycle will be more than worth it.

We'll just have to see but there has to be a significant cost attributed to the existing and future development along with the array of existing and new online services albeit all existing under the Microsoft umbrella.

11 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

So @ca_metal you obviously didn't figure out why they dropped the version number from the title 🙂 as far as we know this is the one and only version, but the 10+ years will provide constant updates.

I always imagined when they talked about 10 years, it was from the initial release but I could be wrong on that.

I meant a new version after the 10 years time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ca_metal said:

I meant a new version after the 10 years time. 

Ah ok, that's possible but I think that would mean a different approach or a significant change, anyway that's a little way off. 🙂

2 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

Ah ok, that's possible but I think that would mean a different approach or a significant change, anyway that's a little way off. 🙂

Sure. In 10 years time would be nice to see MS revolutionize again, like they did last year.

New/renewed partnerships, new/improved engine etc. I’m sure in 10 years we will have a lot of reasons to have a totally new version being released. Or we would be stagnant again. 

But just to be clear, I was answering to the OP’s concerns about the partnerships and services being shutdown in the future. And the way I see it, if the product is successful, they would take care of it before anything gets shutdown. Be it a new version or an extension of the project.

Right now I’m more concerned with the v1.0 and it’s updates. When the time comes, we will see what happens with the new/old franchise.

17 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

I'd be interested to know what those numbers are?

So would many people however that falls under the commercial -in-confidence tag so no figures were given. This came from the senior producer of TSW in a discord chat so I'm pretty confident the information is correct. 

Give people power to really test their personality.

14 minutes ago, SamYeager said:

So would many people however that falls under the commercial -in-confidence tag so no figures were given. This came from the senior producer of TSW in a discord chat so I'm pretty confident the information is correct. 

Whats a commercial in confidence tag? Sounds like bull to me.

Though it has been added to gamepass so maybe thats why there was more traffic for a while. 

Edited by shawty1984

On 5/24/2020 at 9:09 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

Always takes a little longer for you Air Force guys... 😉   Navy here.

Ouch.

1 minute ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

Ouch.

LOL, all in fun my friend!  Some of my best friends were Air Force, and that's where I put my son about 18 years ago.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.