Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

RTSS and P3D

How do I run RTSS in P3D? I have set it up on the desktop, but there is no SAVE button or anything. Is it supposed to run automatically when I load P3D? If so, it does not seem to be working.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You can run RTSS stand-alone by just double clicking the .exe. I put a shortcut in a folder on the desktop for easy access to many programs related to P3D. 

When you change settings in RTSS the program retains the last settings when you close. Remember to make your P3D changes by selected the Prepar3D program settings. 

When I run P3D I have entries in my FSUIPC ini to start MSI using an affinity. RTSS starts with MSI. That way I can use the on screen info display if I want and always use RTSS for P3D ScanlineSync x/2 with parameter -1 for my 60hz display. 

FSUIPC automatically closes MSI & RTSS when I close P3D. 

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

How do I know if RTSS is running in the simulator? I have set the external framerate to 30, internal limiter to Unlimited, and VSync is ON, but I have no idea if it is actually working or not. How do I check this??

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

if you hit shift+z.  May need to hit it twice.  It should show you your FPS in red.  Top left.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

How do I know if RTSS is running in the simulator? I have set the external framerate to 30, internal limiter to Unlimited, and VSync is ON, but I have no idea if it is actually working or not. How do I check this??

You have to start RTSS in some way (manually by double click), FSUIPC as I do, or by a bat file), or start MSI and it starts RTSS. When RTSS is running there will be an icon in the system tray. It doesn’t run “in the simulator”. But as @micstatic said, if you are “full screen” in P3D and can’t see the system tray, check the framerate as he said.  Or use any windows method to check on running programs. 

How are you externally limiting? A setting in RTSS? 

Edited by bbuckley

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

24 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

FSUIPC as I do, or by a bat file

SimStarter works well too.

I start it with 'Windows' ( at the top of the RTSS GUI ) also click on 'Show On-Screen Display' to get the frame rate counter to show, there are controls to move it or increase the text size.

Add the Prepar3D.exe link and make sure its highlighted (not to sure if this is a requirement but I do it any way.)

regards bob

You have to make a profile for P3D in RTSS and link to program. Then only will it start with specific features for P3D. Otherwise it can work in default but it will always be ON.

I would then use MSI AB to setup the on-screen options from setup-monitoring-choose from list of display items. Make sure you tick the "show in on-screen" display.

Also make sure the screen resolution does not change or it will not show. I say this because for flightsim I use my full 4K resolution which maximises the clarity so I can keep the antialiasing lower. For normal work I use 150% of display capability otherwise the text is too small.

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

3 hours ago, ShezA said:

You have to make a profile for P3D in RTSS and link to program. Then only will it start with specific features for P3D. Otherwise it can work in default but it will always be ON.

I would then use MSI AB to setup the on-screen options from setup-monitoring-choose from list of display items. Make sure you tick the "show in on-screen" display.

Also make sure the screen resolution does not change or it will not show. I say this because for flightsim I use my full 4K resolution which maximises the clarity so I can keep the antialiasing lower. For normal work I use 150% of display capability otherwise the text is too small.

Exactly. Once you have linked it to P3D as a profile, it will always be on once it has started.(Automatically is best. Absolutely no need to start it or do anything then).

I use it stand alone, without MSI, just to set my refresh rate to one half (of 60) and FPS to 30, although if I leave FPS alone, it still works.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Be 'careful' with RTSS. It's a great piece of software to limit FPS but I actually ditched it sometime last year when I noticed it had a negative effect with some payware planes, especially PMDG. Every time I would mouse over any screen, I'd get a stutter. Constantly put the mouse back and forth over the screen, it would tank the FPS. It was like RTSS was constantly 'hooking' into that process, like the mouse hitting those screens was seen as a different process, which isn't weird considering how P3D does the borderless window / picture-in-picture with multiple windows. RTSS can struggle a bit with that. 

Most people probably wouldn't notice, very specific circumstances and would probably disregard a small stutter like that as down to something else but the second I closed RTSS, sim was smooth. Ever since then, I've used Profile Inspector's hidden limiter for P3D and now, the new 'official' limiter through the Nvidia control panel. Works great. 

Could obviously be fixed by now, given the amount of time it has been, just know it can be caused by RTSS if the issue happens.

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Just the opposite for me. RTSS gives no problems at all. I can "wave" my mouse all over and click on dials with no bad results.(PMDG QOTSII)

On the other hand the new NV CP frame limiter does nothing.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

For the record, why do I need to make a profile for P3D? Surely it should use the Global profile if I do not change anything?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just now, Christopher Low said:

For the record, why do I need to make a profile for P3D? Surely it should use the Global profile if I do not change anything?

That's fine too. I just prefer to have a P3D profile where I need the vsync adjusted. Other times I am happy with my monitor default and I also don't need any additional screen data.

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

40 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Because it doesn't make much sense to apply your frame rate limitation to everything, video players, other games, other software etc. do it on a per-exe basis.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB