Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

RTSS and P3D

9 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Just the opposite for me. RTSS gives no problems at all. I can "wave" my mouse all over and click on dials with no bad results.(PMDG QOTSII)

On the other hand the new NV CP frame limiter does nothing.

No problems here either.

NCP causes stutterring on my system. Went back to RTSS and smooth as glass.

7 hours ago, Sethos said:

Because it doesn't make much sense to apply your frame rate limitation to everything, video players, other games, other software etc. do it on a per-exe basis.

Provided you're doing all those other things :>)

I have managed to get RTSS to run when P3D is enabled. However, early indications are that it does not make any difference whatsoever to my "major stutter" issues. I get the feeling that this problem is insurmountable on my PC without doing daft things like disabling the AI planes completely.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I have managed to get RTSS to run when P3D is enabled. However, early indications are that it does not make any difference whatsoever to my "major stutter" issues. I get the feeling that this problem is insurmountable on my PC without doing daft things like disabling the AI planes completely.

You're set up this way?  In P3D unlimited, vsync off.  Monitor refresh 60Hz.  RTSS scan line x/2.  AND, don't forget to check the box Enable Framerate Limiter in RTSS' settings page, General tab.   This is what allows you to turn vsync off in-sim and still have the 60Hz/2 sync to scan line.

Are you monitoring your GPU load closely?  As you may know you can monitor GPU and CPU loads and temps via MSI Afterburner, so it's a handy way to watch because when you vsync using RTSS as soon as GPU load hits 100% you WILL NOT be able to maintain the 30fps required for that stutter-free video.

If your GPU load is not approaching 100% where you see these stutters the next thing to do is dial back the less-GPU related scenery sliders, plus cloud distance, traffic, etc.  IOW, for troubleshooting your major stutters, dial these back as needed until your video is golden smooth, then add back what you prioritize you want.  I know there are certain features that have an inordinate impact on the main CPU thread and that would be road traffic so consider turning that off if you haven't already.  I don't know what hardware you're using but I know I had no fluid video performance w/o stutters, save the rare 'long frame', in a 7 y/o system using P3D 3.4.  Performance is identical in my new system, the only thing different is I am running some sliders up more than previously as predicted.   

Having had the two very different systems, with smooth performance in each, leaves me relatively convinced people ought to be able to achieve the same result.   But I know there are going to be exceptions for myriad reasons.  For the past 5y I have used unlimted/vsync to 30Hz screen and no RTSS and the result is really the same as w/ RTSS w/ scan line x/2 save the 60Hz screen, AND the fact it's easier to see how 'loaded' the main thread is using the vsync to 30Hz screen leaves a bit more in favor of vsync to 30Hz.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Christopher-

What version of P3D are you running?

Completely rebuild your .cfg file if not already done.

Start with a stock .cfg and slowly work from there. The stutter will reveal itself eventually.

Apologies for resurrecting a rather old topic, but RTSS keeps confusing me. Reading through this thread its as if people have two ways to setup RTSS. Some people refer to setting the frame rate limiter, others to scanline (which people call scanline x/2, but in my version 7.3.1 is simply called 'scanline'), some to both. Can someone tell me what is the definitive way to setup RTSS and Prepar3D? I want to try this because my monitor cannot go lower than 60Hz and I'd like to try it at 30, hoping that it may clear blurries that I get in some photoscenery areas.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

3 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Apologies for resurrecting a rather old topic, but RTSS keeps confusing me. Reading through this thread its as if people have two ways to setup RTSS. Some people refer to setting the frame rate limiter, others to scanline (which people call scanline x/2, but in my version 7.3.1 is simply called 'scanline'), some to both. Can someone tell me what is the definitive way to setup RTSS and Prepar3D? I want to try this because my monitor cannot go lower than 60Hz and I'd like to try it at 30, hoping that it may clear blurries that I get in some photoscenery areas.

I don't think limiting your FPS will do a great deal for the blurries.  What's your CPU and how is it set up to be used? P3D will use more cores effectively for terrain loading tasks, so if you have fewer you restrict the amount of info that can be loaded in any degree of time. The core frequencies matter a little less I think, but it stands to reason a higher specced PC will be able to load assets more quickly.   An appropriate affinity mask can make the use of those cores efficient, depending on if you use HT or not.

• Like 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Benjamin-

Running P3D at unlimited, RTSS scan line/2 probably isn’t going to solve the blurry issue as unlimited drops FFTF to .1 from .33

What is will do, at 30 FPS, is give a very smooth ride. I’ve been using this for a long time with no issues at all. Some report otherwise.

Cheers,

Mark

6 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

I don't think limiting your FPS will do a great deal for the blurries.  What's your CPU and how is it set up to be used? P3D will use more cores effectively for terrain loading tasks, so if you have fewer you restrict the amount of info that can be loaded in any degree of time. The core frequencies matter a little less I think, but it stands to reason a higher specced PC will be able to load assets more quickly.   An appropriate affinity mask can make the use of those cores efficient, depending on if you use HT or not.

Sliders are inversely proportional to terrain clarity in many cases 😀

I appreciate the comments with regards to whether it will help or not, and I don't want to seem ungrateful, but could you please just tell me how to setup the RTSS and Prepar3D? 😅 Then once I have it setup, I'll see what it does and if it doesn't do anything, perhaps we can go into some detail as to what might be an issue in my setup.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

On 5/30/2020 at 12:50 PM, Christopher Low said:

If you are not sure about where your stutter came from, but you suspect the AI traffic, you wouldn't disable AI traffic forever which would indeed be daft, instead you could disable AI traffic for some test runs. If the stutter goes away, then it might be due to just one particular location or AI model or perhaps even the AI injection addon if that's what you use. You could then locate the culprit through a logical process of elimination and eliminate it from the system.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

49 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

I appreciate the comments with regards to whether it will help or not, and I don't want to seem ungrateful, but could you please just tell me how to setup the RTSS and Prepar3D? 😅 Then once I have it setup, I'll see what it does and if it doesn't do anything, perhaps we can go into some detail as to what might be an issue in my setup.

I have a monitor running at 30hz, I only use rtss for the overlay, so can't help with your specific set up sorry 😞

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

52 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

You can also set an fps limit in the Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, Program Settings, Prepar3D.exe profile. Restore/Apply first and make just the fps limit to 28 and apply, close NCP. In P3D display settings, set Unlimited fps on the slider and set VSYNC=Off. You should see the fps wobble around 25 to 35.

With regard to blurry textures, this indicates a slowness in collecting and rendering scenery textures.  Start with low scenery settings, see if the blurries are gone, and if so gradually increase scenery settings.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com