Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

zibo ils problem

Hey guys,

Another quick question if you dont mind, running the zibo 737. Just come from the pmdg p3d series to try x plane and loving it so far. i seem to think im doing everything right from takeoff to final approach the same as i did in p3d, however in p3d i used to come in at 90 degrees from the localiser/ Gs and it captured with no problem and ils was possible, however with the zibo im having troubles with the same 90 degree approach lets say at 2000ft , the loc symbol goes green on the pfa but for some reason the A/C turns the opposite direction and flies its own course. ive read to tick the checkbox disable downwind ils or so made no diff so i unchecked the box. 

Ive set the courses correct on CPT and FO side

both freq are entered for ils correctly.

i cant seem to see what im doing wrong everything in the flight is good until the landing part i screw it up big time, has anybody got any suggestions or so?

many thanks.

• Like 1

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

The problem may be coming in at 90 degrees to the localiser. In real life it should be no more than 45 degrees or more usually 30 degrees.. perhaps X-plane is more realistic in that regard?

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/33306/what-is-the-maximum-interception-angle-for-ils-when-on-radar-vectoring

All I can say is that when being vectored to an ILS in FSX:SE (my sim) then the default ATC usually has me on a 30 degree intercept..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

8 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

The problem may be coming in at 90 degrees to the localiser. In real life it should be no more than 45 degrees or more usually 30 degrees.. perhaps X-plane is more realistic in that regard?

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/33306/what-is-the-maximum-interception-angle-for-ils-when-on-radar-vectoring

All I can say is that when being vectored to an ILS in FSX:SE (my sim) then the default ATC usually has me on a 30 degree intercept..

that makes a lot of sense to me i wonder why PMDG accepted it at that type of sim level. ill try it out now and post results

many thanks

• Like 1

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

Or perhaps why Lockheed Martin allowed it in their sim? PMDG products react to the code they get from the sim and perhaps no one at PMDG coded in a requirement to intercept the localiser at no greater than 30 or 45 degrees thinking that the sim itself wouldn't let you do that? Just conjecture on my part, I don't know.

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I found this which might explain a couple of things..

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/vehicle/usage/using_autopilot.html

Capturing a VOR course, Localizer, or GPS course

Remember: never ask the autopilot to do something you can't (or wouldn't) do yourself. For example, no good pilot would be able to make a 120-degree turn and intercept a localizer while flying at 300 knots less than a mile from the localizer; neither would an autopilot. Keep your expectations realistic. If you make things easy for the autopilot, the autopilot will make things easy for you.

To engage/disengage Navigation mode

Click the NAV button.
-or-

Press CTRL+N.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling you out for getting away with a 90 degree offset to intercept! If that has worked in the past then why would anyone think anything different?

Why I quoted that part of the P3D documentation is that to me, whilst it infers that no good pilot or autopilot would be able to make a 120 degree turn to intercept, it doesn't specifically say that the sim won't let you try - the instrument can detect the localiser beam after all. Given that, then why would PMDG NOT accept the sim?

Mark Robinson