Sign in to follow this  
regis9

What to Do? V5 Has Great Performance When It's Not Crashing

I find myself in a tough place.  In my experience flying v5 I have FPS beyond what I could imagine in v4, nice and smooth in and out of major airports, to the point where it's hard to go back to v4.

However, the FPS are only nice and smooth until it seemingly inevitably crashes on me.

My record of flying airliners in v5 so far is as follows:

PMDG 747 with Active Sky beta 2, SDF-HNL, great flight until CTD nearing the pacific coast, ntdll.dll.

Maddog with Active Sky beta 3, SFO-PDX, CTD at on the ground, kernalbase.dll

Maddog with Active Sky beta 3, SFO-PDX, CTD just past TOC, kernalbase.dll

Maddog with default weather, SFO-PDX, enabled Active Sky after the previous CTD location, successfully completed flight.

Maddog with Active Sky beta 3, ATL-IAD, CTD just after takeoff, ntdll.dll.

At this point with airliners I'm 1/5, a bad average even for a major league baseball player.  I have completed a few short GA flights without issues, but I've also had a few crashes with those. 

Probably what I need to do is leave Active Sky off for a few more flights and see if I can consistently complete flights without it to try and narrow this down, or at least wait for the next beta.  I'm not really convinced there's only one issue at play here though which makes figuring it out that much more difficult.  I don't expect VRAM is an issue, I haven't seen it climb above 6.5 on any of these flights.

The performance in v5 is so tantalizingly good (I was generally around 40-50fps taxiing around imaginesim ATL tonight!), but is it worth rolling the dice on actually completing a flight (or even reaching TOC?)  At least we're finally starting to get some warm weather here so I'm spending less time with the sim and more time outside...maybe when fall hits and I start spending a lot more time simming some of this will be straightened out.

• Upvote 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Try it with Active Sky off for now.. what have you got to lose..?

Hopefully you still have V4.5. for the other flights..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Weather 😁

Just kidding of course, you're right, that's my next step for a few flights to see what happens.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

reduce you setting even further and get even better performance without the CTD's

I’ve had repeated crashing problems with the latest ASP3D update. Gone back to Beta2. 

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hopefully you still have V4.5. for the other flights..

I do...it will stay at least until FSLabs moves over to v5 (and I have a more stable v5 experience.)

1 minute ago, Quasimodo said:

reduce you setting even further and get even better performance without the CTD's

I'm curious, where I'm getting high, fluid FPS and VRAM well below my capacity, which settings/cause are you suspecting are leading to my CTDs?

Dave

2 minutes ago, Quasimodo said:

Or maybe devs could stop churning out garbage. V5 has crashed three times for me today. All DXGI or NTDLL.

• Like 2

OK, I was getting a CTD nearly everyflight even though I was maintaining my FPS sufficiently above my target for smooth game play nearly all the time. Flying anywhere around Seattle got me big pauses and big stutters but in between those smooth game play but inevitably a CTD. Thing got better with some updates from ORBX. But ultimately I found that reducing setting significantly below what my system could apparently handle eliminated nearly all the CTD's. I can now complete scenarios up to about 2 hours. Probably longer but with a 777 why bother. I cannot tell you why but the less I stress my system the more stable V5 is. I know its not ideal but its the only thing that works for me now and its way better than V4 particularly because of Truesky. I had nearly everything maxed out and got acceptable performance but a CTD every flight. I reduced everything by a notch or 2. The sim still looks great and I hardly ever get CTD's.

Just try it. Whats the worst that could happen?

Edited by Quasimodo

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, can never have too many options to try.

Dave

22 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

What are you graphics settings?

I was experience CTDs, but 13 hours of flying later not a single CTD, some things to check:

1.  Don't install anything that isn't V5 compliant and/or does not have V5 installers (don't copy stuff over from V4.5)

2.  Make sure you have the latest HiFi ASP3D Beta

3.  Make sure you don't have a SimConnect.cfg in c:\users\yourusername\Documents (this is an issue now with V5)

5.  If you do have any SimConnect.xml files verify the IP matches your assigned

6.  Don't OC your GPU/CPU (for testing purposes go back to 4.2-4.5Ghz), especially the GPU since it gets much more of the load now compared to V4.5.  Also, P3D make use of AVX instructions.

7.  Check your DLL.XML and EXE.XML entries (look for duplicates)

8.  Clear out your shader cache folder

I've used Orbx NorCal with FlightBeam KSFO and KPDX and HiFi flight in the Maddog without issue.  P3D V5 HF1 is certainly not perfect, but I think the issues you are having are probably more related to an unstable OC (be it CPU or GPU).

Cheers, Rob.

I wish it were that simple. I have a repeatable NTDLL crash on a flight out of ATL in the Maddog. Currently trying to figure out what the culprit is. So far, OCing doesn't seem to be it. 

If you are using the latest ASP3D (7448) beta & Maddog X, there are two things you can try -

(a) Do not request ATIS. This most definitely causes a crash. There was a bug in ASP3D for reading P3Dv5 scenery where the runway information could not be read (you will observe it is shown as N/A in ASP3D whenever you check for conditions). In beta #2, you used to get an error AOC UPLINK failed. They indicated that they had fixed this in 7448 by moving over to using Navigraph data for runway information but it seems that it is not fixed (you still get N/A) & they are looking into it. Again, it is not clear if this is the issue which is causing the CTD when ATIS is requested but seems to be a probable starting point. Leonardo should probably also check on their side what is the data that is coming from ASP3D which is triggering the CTD.

(b) If you are using EA, turn it off & try. With EA off, to a certain extent Maddog X is stable with ASP3D but I have tried only 1 flight & need to check more.

Edited by fltent1184

The only time I'ver had CTDs is when I was specifically beta testing for them.

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

I have a repeatable NTDLL crash on a flight out of ATL in the Maddog. Currently trying to figure out what the culprit is.

Try the same flight with a default a/c. If it doesn't crash - you have your answer.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Is it really advisable to be running beta versions of anything whilst Prepar3D v5 is still in beta itself?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have been flying v5 since it came out without a single CTD.  I'm using Maddog, ASky latest, Orbx global, landclass, trees, buildings etc.  I have flown from FB KSFO to FB KPDX and T2G KSEA (these were with Orbx Norcal and Orbx PNW in the NGXu without any issues.  I have also flown from DD KJFK to FSDT KORD.

For those struggling we need to try to reproduce the issue with the exact settings an addons to see if we can narrow down what is causing your issues so you can enjoy.

I would say post settings an addons and route taken and maybe all of us together could isolate your issues or find an issue with an addon.

Edited by sgreen91
  • Like 1

Sean Green

Try deleting and then re-installing Microsoft Visual C + + 2015-2019 (X64) and (x86) so many addons use them if corrupted you get a problem, don't repair re-install download fresh from MS.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg