Sign in to follow this  
djw4250

DIY GPS Information

Can anyone direct me to a forum related to building your own GNS530 for P3D?

Thanks Bert. 
What I want to build? 
I want to build a solid 3d working model of the GNS530 that I can mount in my home made Baron B58TC cockpit that doesn't need a mouse or keyboard.  I hope to use a 7" Tablet for the screen that will display a GPS that will link to my P3Dv4.5 software. There are many options for displaying the screen available for investigation.  However, the forums that I have found are 2 years old and the subject seems to have gone cold.

Is the Reality XP GNS530 not good enough?
This question is perplexing.  What do you mean by not good enough?  I can see that it provides a nice display for my tablet screen but nowhere in the Reality documentation do I see any reference to any information that would help me build a GPS to display it.  Please elaborate.

And there is this nice new freebee in the AVSIM file library.

The manual also has a number of reading references and links the author himself found useful in building the gauge.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/575787-gps2020-gauge-in-the-avsim-files-library/

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Thanks Rogen I will followed that up.

As with Bert's response, it provides me a nice picture for my proposed GPS build but I need information about building a functional solid bezel for the display that is presenting that picture.  I want all those knobs and buttons shown in those pictures to be actual working buttons and rotary encoders.

Edited by djw4250

OK, I get it.. you want to build the physical unit.. no idea how one would do that..

You can purchase those prebuilt.. as I am sure you are aware.. 😉

Bert

On 5/26/2020 at 3:38 AM, Bert Pieke said:

OK, I get it.. you want to build the physical unit.. no idea how one would do that..

You can purchase those prebuilt.. as I am sure you are aware.. 😉

Yes I am aware of that Bert.  However they are too costly for me, desirable as they are.  It would just be soo good even if someone was to share with me what the specs of a suitable screen could be???

On 5/26/2020 at 4:58 AM, Mike62 said:

Yes I have seen both of those sites Mike.  Both of them are selling a great product but they are both above my budget.

It's very sad for me that the guy who was selling GPS kits for DIY guys like me stopped selling when the RealSimGear team started producing their completed units.

What is this "RXP" that seems to get in my face when I think I am getting close to something that might do the job for me?

I've built a few of these, using the info in the link below to get started. I use a panel mounted GPS screen w/buttons/dual rotary encoder equipped (not quite finished) using Arduino Pro Micro and coding from others. Mine is not an exact replica, more or less a simplification of the real one. I'd be happy to share the coding I used if you choose the Pro Micro controller.     

https://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=176266

This video displays the unit I built, FYI. I was explaining it for curious friends that are somewhat unfamiliar with filght simming or in some cases, aviation. Thus the rather basic explanations of things.   

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Chocorua thank you for your input. I checked out the link and watched your video.

I have just finished assembling my "in-panel" GPS530 and am trying to figure out how to get the hardware "talking" to P3D.

At this stage I have decided to use MobiFlight so I am hunting through the dropdown menus in there for the event IDs.  I'm thinking "Someone else has already done this.  I wonder how I could chat with one of them?"

Hopefully this link will take you to the picture I put up in my FB page My Facebook post

Edited by djw4250
Supplied more information