Sign in to follow this  
canadiantree

What is your current internet speed for MSFS2020

What is your current internet speed for MSFS2020  

308 members have voted

1. 1. With internet speed being so important for image quality in FS2020, I'm curious, where do you sit?

• < 1 Mbps
    • 1 - 3 Mbps
    • 3 - 5 Mbps
    • 5 - 10 Mbps
    • 10 - 20 Mbps
    • 20 - 50 Mbps
    • 50 - 200 Mbps
    • > 200 Mbps

7 minutes ago, jpc55 said:

Show off. :dry: :wink:

I recently switched ISP providers from XFinity to AT&T; cable to fiber optic. I had to upgrade my 10/100 switch to a  10/100/1000 switch.

I about panicked when my sim computer in the next room (personal library) reported only around 90/90 from Speedtest, but my backup development computer in the same room was clocking in at >900/900!

Thankfully I concluded that the CAT5 cable from the switch to the sim 'puter must be the problem. Sure enough, I replaced it with a new CAT6 cable and the speeds I posted previous are the result. 

The only downside to using fiber optic for television channels is that there is a little more than a full minute lag compared to my direct over-the-air antenna for the same channels. I guess that is caused by having to digitally convert and stream the signals to the fiber optic delivery system. Oddly enough there's even around a 20 to 30 second difference between my living room's and kitchen's TVs! 

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 5/25/2020 at 9:29 PM, Jim Robinson said:

Thanks, much appreciated. I couldn't even get a reliable connection to the google speed test, lol. it erred, "were having trouble connecting to this site, please check your connection and try again." 🙂

speed-test.jpg

HughesNet just rocks, support amounts to "we have other users on the same beam that aren't reporting problems".

It's the only thing available, $60 bucks a month, I'm still waiting for DSL through my landline circa 2005, I live in a 3rd world country called Idaho.

If Bonners is 3rd world then I guess Eagle is 2nd.

But did you mean Hughes/Net "rocks" or "sucks." I've had the latter experience.

(-:

I'm at 20 Mbps, and no hope to have more in the next few years. After more than 30 years of FS and P3D, now have to wait some brave tester with my same speed to understand if it's a decent condition to fly..... Taking in account that my son is often sharing the connection, so if the data stream is continuous and heavy, it coud be a problem.

No complaints here. I love my AT&T 1gb. My original 2 year promo expired but I called them up and got another 2 year deal. 

fp2PyrT.png

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

3 hours ago, Wise87 said:

No complaints here. I love my AT&T 1gb. My original 2 year promo expired but I called them up and got another 2 year deal.

I switched from Xfinity cable (Comcast) several weeks ago for AT&T 1Gbs fiber optic service. After replacing an older 10/100 switch in the other room all of my systems now enjoy >900/900 connections.

Although at first only my sim computer showed only ~90/90 connection. Fortunately I reasoned that the cable for that machine was an old CAT5 cable. I replaced it with a new CAT6 I had in my spares and it now has full >900/900 service.

The only downside is that now all of my TV 'channels' are streamed and the digital delay is just under one minute... 

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 hours ago, zetato said:

I'm at 20 Mbps, and no hope to have more in the next few years. After more than 30 years of FS and P3D, now have to wait some brave tester with my same speed to understand if it's a decent condition to fly..... Taking in account that my son is often sharing the connection, so if the data stream is continuous and heavy, it coud be a problem.

It is. You need around 10 Mbps according to my system.

• Like 1

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

I'm at 200/100 mbps.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

On 5/25/2020 at 11:29 PM, Jim Robinson said:

Thanks, much appreciated. I couldn't even get a reliable connection to the google speed test, lol. it erred, "were having trouble connecting to this site, please check your connection and try again." 🙂

speed-test.jpg

HughesNet just rocks, support amounts to "we have other users on the same beam that aren't reporting problems".

It's the only thing available, $60 bucks a month, I'm still waiting for DSL through my landline circa 2005, I live in a 3rd world country called Idaho.

I know your pain Jim.  I had Hughes Net for a few years and a notch or two above dial up isn’t far from the truth.  I’m in The “BFE” Midwest and just use Verizon hotspot on our unlimited data plans to connect. 

I’ll be about one year behind everyone else getting into an MSFS cockpit due to this, but once I move to “civilization “ next year all will be good.  Yeah, I’ll take a few moments of silence 😂

Chris Sunseri

Running at 200/100mbps...

Big problem I foresee is bandwidth when all three of my kids are on their iPads/PC cell phones and streaming Netflix movies on their TVs when I’m gamining!

Edited by Kilo60
  • Like 1

Chris Camp

23 hours ago, n4gix said:

The only downside is that now all of my TV 'channels' are streamed and the digital delay is just under one minute... 

I went with the DirectTV package so watching TV doesn’t affect my bandwidth. My client and FS Box are both hardwired for full network speed 🙂

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

On 7/25/2020 at 6:58 PM, flyingpauls said:

It is. You need around 10 Mbps according to my system.

Thanks, I really hope so! 

On 7/25/2020 at 9:00 PM, Kilo60 said:

Running at 200/100mbps...

Big problem I foresee is bandwidth when all three of my kids are on their iPads/PC cell phones and streaming Netflix movies on their TVs when I’m gamining!

What kind of router do you have? Does it have QOS settings? If so, you may be able to prioritize your sim machine above all other internet traffic on the network. 😁

https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1