Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Liverpool ALWAYS disappears!

34 minutes ago, F737NG said:

As United fan

Another United fan who doesn't live anywhere near Manchester lol. Not that you need to live near a team to appreciate them of course, but for Man U in particular, this is a well-known joke with everyone who lives in and around Manchester who isn't a Red, as it seems a disproportionately large number of their fans arrive on the train from Euston. I wind one of my friends up about this all the time, as like me, he does live 'ooop north'. My old boss at Soho Editors (guess where he lives being the boss of a company with a name like that) is one of the Euston to Piccadilly train United fans. I used to wind him up about that too. 🤣

Still, notwithstanding the Red's terrible performance in recent years, if you're gonna pick a team to support, you might as well pick one which wins a lot, which Man U (normally) do. 🙂

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Yup, I've heard a few stories about ghosts on the old Speke airfield. Similar stories prevail at Manchester.

Not wanting to drift too far off but as Stan’s Problem seems to have been fixed and we’re now onto football.....where are the word not allowed at Manchester?

edit... the word not allowed above was another word for ghost!  Sp00ks 

Edited by jon b
  • Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Mostly stories centre in and around the older terminal buildings near the lift which is close to Stand 23. There are some spooky stories about the area near the massive old Thomas Cook Hangar which largely centre around the fact that in WW2, that area was used for some construction of Lancaster Bombers and the airfield itself at that time was a school for the training of parachute regiment troops and OSS 'spies' who had to learn how to make parachute jumps. 

I know a few people who claim to have seen mysterious figures over near the Fifty stands. Ordinarily, it would not be too unusual to see people out and about, but at an airport where entry is strictly controlled of course, you tend to know who is around, so the reports of the appearance of unexplained presences has some credibility in this respect. One or two people who tell these tales don't like to be on their own in those areas.

Some of the stories about strange sounds can be explained by underground equipment which was still running, despite no longer being in use; an example of this is a an old conveyor system which runs below the surface, passing under the area near Stand 70. It was built over to create that ramp area, but some of the sub-surface mechanical systems were never removed and still had a power connection, so when it was quiet, you could still hear them running years after they had stopped being used or had any easy access to them.

Never seen anything spooky at the airport myself, although I have seen, heard and felt some spooky stuff elsewhere which really does defy explanation, including one incident where it actually ended up saving my life (yes, seriously), so although I am skeptical about such things, I keep an open mind based on the fact that I have had some strange experiences of that nature which I really cannot explain at all, especially that one which prevented me from being killed.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Thanks for that, most interesting !

it seems airports and airfields have more than their fair share of supernatural stories. I recall people telling me about the airport hotel at Newcastle which were the old RAF barrack being haunted by a WW2 pilot.

The cabin crew always seem to find a ghost at every hotel we stay at !

Certainly there are more things in  heaven and earth ! You really wouldn’t believe the things I’ve seen.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

For all the wailing and nashing of teeth which Liverpool and their fans have done regarding the Premier League, the FA should give them the title. At least then all the Man City fans can crow about Liverpool not being able to win the League on their own merits, they needed a complete sporting shutdown to assist them.. 😜

Ah... banter... !

My son and my Dad are City supporters.. 😄 but I cannot fly them over the Etihad stadium. Chock mentioned a while back that he "might" take a look at doing the model, but I'll leave it at that. I don't tend to put people under pressure for stuff like that, or repaints, especially when there's no contract, no project timeline... and given freely! 😎 

Similary, does anyone know of a decent Jodrell Bank radio telescope for FSX as that is a relatively nearby landmark to Manchester Airport?

I too use UK2000 EGGP (firmly bolted down) and others. Painless install, do what they say on the tin. They work well with the VFR Real 3D photoreal scenery I use for the UK IMHO.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Really enjoyed this conversation.  Glad that it created some interest among some loyal football fans.  I must have kept Chock up last night, because he was still answering my questions at around 9PM my time.   It had to be about 2AM in the UK.  I should have been more considerate, but I really didn't think about the time until afterwards.

Thanks again....plan to do some flights in and around Liverpool and Manchester today!

Stan

32 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Chock mentioned a while back that he "might" take a look at doing the model, but I'll leave it at that.

Currently got a problem with my modeling software exporting things, so that's scuppering it at the moment.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

1 minute ago, Chock said:

so that's scuppering it at the moment.

As I hopefully alluded to, no pressure my friend!😎 Thank you for the info.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Just to recap: We started with a FS scenery not showing correctly, moved on to football (soccer, to our US cousins) rivalries, briefly discussing the acoustics at a club, onto paranormal activity including the life-saving action by a deceased entity, then finally back to something related to FS.

This topic is great! (Well, apart from Alan's little dig about plastic fans... 😜)
Best pub chat I've had in months.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

18 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Just to recap: We started with a FS scenery not showing correctly, moved on to football (soccer, to our US cousins) rivalries, briefly discussing the acoustics at a club, onto paranormal activity including the life-saving action by a deceased entity, then finally back to something related to FS.

This topic is great! (Well, apart from Alan's little dig about plastic fans... 😜)
Best pub chat I've had in months.

All done in a convivial, friendly manner (even you United supporters 🤪).

Well done 👍👍

David Porrett

29 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Well, apart from Alan's little dig about plastic fans... 😜

Nah, that was just footy banter. I was a massive supporter of Michael Schumacher when he was racing, and I'm not German, never shopped at Benetton, didn't smoke Camels, nor drove a Ferrari, and as far as footy goes, I'm a Liverpool fan even though I'm from Manchester, so I've got absolutely no room to talk. 🤣

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Alan Bradbury

11 minutes ago, Chock said:

never shopped at Benetton, didn't smoke Camels, nor drove a Ferrari

I'm too young to remember the Camel sponsorship, it was Mild Seven on the Benetton cars when F1 first caught my attention.

I knew Damon Hill had an excellent chance at being crowned World Champion, but then that infamous clash between the two in the final race in Australia. Schumacher went wide at an earlier corner, touched the wall and the rest is history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JoW4mSiZo

For me, Schumacher was synonymous with the red of Ferrari and Marlboro.

1 hour ago, DavidP said:

All done in a convivial, friendly manner (even you United supporters 🤪).

Well done 👍👍

I must've had too much to drink... 🙃

43 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'm a Liverpool fan even though I'm from Manchester

WTAF?! 😄

3 of my best years were when I lived in Manchester.
Being a United fan tipped the balance in chosing where to live.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter