Sign in to follow this  
EFRAIN

Help NGXu rudder / tiller

Hello guys, anyone with patience please to explain me how to proper setup my pedals and tiller for the pmdg ngxu, I have tons of addons and unfortunately this is the aircraft with worst steering, i know this is a new method from pmdg but looks like I havent been able to setup correctly, quick here u go; I have pedals, a yoke and a joystick, the pedals work ok but since real 737 pilots wont taxi with Pedals I use my joystick rudder axis as tiller in fsuipc but is very bad, I tried the mcdu options inside the aircraft and looks like I havent found the right combination, not even sure what to set in the cdu and fsuipc, turns are extremely sensitive or drastic, I dont have this issue with any other aircrafts, what can I do please, the 737 is one of my favorites but with this issue is a little disappointed to fly it. 

thanks in advance for any help

Efrain RodriguezP3DWindows 10 64bitIntel i7 6700 4.0 Quad Core NVidia GTX1070<p>120SSD / 2TB

44 minutes ago, EFRAIN said:

Hello guys, anyone with patience please to explain me how to proper setup my pedals and tiller for the pmdg ngxu, I have tons of addons and unfortunately this is the aircraft with worst steering, i know this is a new method from pmdg but looks like I havent been able to setup correctly, quick here u go; I have pedals, a yoke and a joystick, the pedals work ok but since real 737 pilots wont taxi with Pedals I use my joystick rudder axis as tiller in fsuipc but is very bad, I tried the mcdu options inside the aircraft and looks like I havent found the right combination, not even sure what to set in the cdu and fsuipc, turns are extremely sensitive or drastic, I dont have this issue with any other aircrafts, what can I do please, the 737 is one of my favorites but with this issue is a little disappointed to fly it. 

I had an old Saitek Cessna Pro Trim Wheel that I now use as a tiller for the NGXu, and it is nothing short of fabulous.  It has a massive range so it's very easy to have fine control.   I don't know what sort of range your JS rudder axis has but perhaps with the lowest sensitivity setting it might work well.  You would select Tiller in the FMC under Aircraft Options I think.  Next set the rudder as I want to say 'ground steering' or something like that in P3D's controls GUI.  I don't have it running but it is a choice near to the top of axis for your joystick.  Next time up I'll look and see what I chose there.

Once you get this set up, if it's anything like what the trim wheel does, you will absolutely wish all your commercial jets had it.  It is so much better fine control during taxi especially in tight places and turns. But...once you hit 20 knots  during taxi it reverts to rudder control so you must make sure your tiller axis is a 0 when you slow down below 20 else your plane will suddenly turn in the direction the tiller was left.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for answering, so you recommend use the steering tiller option in the P3D menu not in FSUIPC? now I have it setup in fsuipc and like I said before is super sensitive, even turning my hand super slow the plane will turn left or right super quick and thats annoying now, however the 777 and 747 wont have that issue at all, they both behave very fine, is the NGXU with the new rudder options now.

Efrain RodriguezP3DWindows 10 64bitIntel i7 6700 4.0 Quad Core NVidia GTX1070<p>120SSD / 2TB

Well once again, you're not using the rudder but the tiller function which is very different physics.   I think the main concern is having an axis w/ a potentially wide range and that part I can't speak to w/ your joystick.   I'm sure the P3D v.4x version of the PMDG 777 does not yet include the tiller function but I read it will when it is updated.   So right now you would be ground steering w/ your rudder pedals in the 777, or as in my case use auto-rudder because I don't use pedals.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Well I setup how u instructed in the first message and seems a little better, will keep trying, thanks again!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 1:42 AM, EFRAIN said:

Have you tried reducing the sensitivity of the Axis you are using in the P3D menu (options, control calibration)? that worked for me.

I do FSUIPC but looks like PMDG and fsuipc wont work very well, you guys think?

5 minutes ago, EFRAIN said:

I do FSUIPC but looks like PMDG and fsuipc wont work very well, you guys think?

I have all my axis set up in P3D and it works well for me. FSUIPC is fine for other things

such as joystick buttons etc. but I don't think it is recommended for axis setup with PMDG

products. Just my opinion. If you want to stick with FSUIPC you can adjust the curve to make

the axis less sensitive initially which should help.

@Caveney737 thanks for the advice, maybe I should change to use the P3D menu instead, if you able to, can you show your axis sensitive settings? also how you do the setup in the ngxu cdu? because now they have rudder options inside the cdu, I have a joystick with rudder axis and also a yoke so the joystick is what I want to use as tiller for taxiing

Sorry, I can't remember my sensitivity setting, I'll post it next time I am on P3D - hopefully not too long.

Just try reducing to about 75% initially and see how it feels - it's probably an individual thing - what's 

right for me might not feel right to you 🙂

Just assign the joystick axis to 'steering tiller' in the P3D menu and choose Tiller in the CDU menu.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EFRAIN said:

@Caveney737 thanks for the advice, maybe I should change to use the P3D menu instead, if you able to, can you show your axis sensitive settings? also how you do the setup in the ngxu cdu? because now they have rudder options inside the cdu, I have a joystick with rudder axis and also a yoke so the joystick is what I want to use as tiller for taxiing

Ok, I have my sensitivity set to 100 in P3D (Default 127) and no Null Zone.

In the CDU I have 'Steering Feel' set to 'Using raw input'.

But bear in mind that I have an actual Tiller Wheel, so these settings may not feel right

with a joystick - you may have to experiment a bit. 

These settings will reduce the twitchiness but it will never feel like another aircraft or 

the NGX because of this new system PMDG introduced with the NGXu that most people

seem to dislike. Hope this helps.

15 minutes ago, Caveney737 said:

These settings will reduce the twitchiness but it will never feel like another aircraft or the NGX because of this new system PMDG introduced with the NGXu that most people seem to dislike. Hope this helps.

I love it!  Can't wait for the other PMDG models to be updated to this new physics. 

Noel