Sign in to follow this  
JFKLGAEWR

Moving from FSX to P3D, V4.5 or straight to V5?

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is safe and healthy! As the title suggests, I'm finally moving from FSX with a new computer build (2006-2020 it was a good run lol). I was wondering if you guys would suggest starting off with V4.5 and waiting for the v5 HF2 or just go straight to v5? I kind of don't want to have to buy P3D twice but if v5 is that unstable then it might make sense. 

If it helps, my settings are RTX2070S, Ryzen 5 3600, and 2x 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz. Any thoughts would be super helpful!

I switched from FSX to P3D in April. Got v4.5 one week before v5 came out (had no idea it was coming out) so I got a refund for v4.5 and bought v5. Definitely made the right choice. A lot of add ons are now compatible with v5 (though still waiting on the infamous Aerosoft CRJ).

v5 works much better for me since hot fix 1 came out. CTDs are pretty infrequent and it seems stable enough. I have RTX 2060 and it works great at relatively high graphics settings. Don't know how Ryzen works with it though since I have Intel.

Edited by NightOfDreams
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Go straight to V5. Your computer can handle it and if you have to buy some P3D add-ons, you might as well go for the most recent things.

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Agreed, switch to v5 now! I only switched from FSX to v4 a year ago, now to v5 - spare yourself the trouble and go right for v5 IMHO. 

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 1

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Wow, FSX straight to P3Dv5.  I think you're in very a very pleasant jaw-dropping experience! 😀

• Like 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Go straight to v5 HF2. It should be available in about a week.
You should have a very good experience with v5 on your PC with that hardware.

It will be like when I moved from FS2004 straight to P3D v4.
Unlike us users of P3D for the last 3+ years who take such things for granted, you'll probably notice a lot of the small things in v5 that make your simming so much more realistic than what you are currently used to.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Look out JFK those wait till MSFS 2020 come out folks will be here soon. Get v5 and have some fun!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

What the heck is up with this thread? I expected a bunch of people to be telling you how bad v5 is by now.

Maybe people have got that out of their system now.

As for your question - yes, v5 is the current sim so get it. You’ll be very sad in a couple of months if you buy the last-gen sim now, as most will have moved on by then.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

8 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

What the heck is up with this thread? I expected a bunch of people to be telling you how bacd v5 is by now.

Maybe people have got that out of their system now.

As for your question - yes, v5 is the current sim so get it. You’ll be very sad in a couple of months if you buy the last-gen sim now, as most will have moved on by then.

1000% agree.😊

• Like 1

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

You only have to read though these forums to see the problems people are having with the new V5, another hotfix is due out. I would at least wait for that before installing. 
I agree at this point of time it’s better to go with V5. But I suggest you wait for HF2 or v5.1.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

5 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

You only have to read though these forums to see the problems people are having with the new V5, another hotfix is due out. I would at least wait for that before installing. 
I agree at this point of time it’s better to go with V5. But I suggest you wait for HF2 or v5.1.

Yeah, might as well wait until October for 5.1. The entire V5 ecosystem is in beta test right now. 

• Like 1

Am on 4.5 at the moment, thinking of upgrading to 5. ( I did promise myself that 4.5 would be the last P3D I would buy as I mostly fly X-Plane 11 on VR) VR on P3d does not have native control support like XP does.

But hearing all the reports (even if it is beta) plus you can get a refund inside 30 days, what have you got to loose?

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

V5 is the way to go, because this is the only P3D which will be developed any further. If you are unsure because of the rumors in the forums how bad it is, bear in mind, that it´s in the nature of us that most people will raise a thread only if they have found an issue and very rarely if everything is quite fine. So the number of negative threads here is never an indication if something is worth or not.

I have V5 HF1 with ASP3D and all my add-ons in use (no matter if they are "V5-officials" or not) and i´am very happy with the performance and it´s new apearence with EA. The little bugs may be noticed will be eliminated for sure. I´ haven´t had any CTD´s or something yet and i use the Sim usually by 8 to 10 hours per session. 

• Like 3

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

You only have to read through THIS thread to see that a lot of people who actually fly v5 really like it.

Why are you telling him not to install? It’s not going to break his computer. And whilst I’m sure P3D v5.5 will be a better, more stable sim, there’s no reason - as a bunch of people have said here - not to buy the current version, install it and start flying it now. If it doesn’t work out for some reason, he’s still got his old sim to fall back on. But P3D v5 post-HF1 is a decently stable and eminently usable simulator.

• Like 3

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."