Sign in to follow this  
tszchun_anson

Running P3D @1080P on 4K monitor?

Hi all,

I now have a GTX1080Ti and i9-9900K with a 1080p monitor. I would like to replace the monitor with a DELL 4K monitor for better text-reading and web-browsing etc. However, it is almost impossible to run P3D at 4K with decent FPS with bunches of add-ons like PMDG, ASP4, and REX SF3D. Therefore I am curious about how P3D looks and performs when the resolution is set 1080P on a 4K monitor. 

Thanks,

Anson

Honestly there is no good answer to this. It will depend a lot on the panel itself and size. Obviously native rez of the monitor is the best but if you are stretching 1080 to a 32” or 40” and sitting a foot or two away it isn’t going to be ideal...same could be said of native 1080 monitors in that size at that distance as well.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

On 5/27/2020 at 6:52 AM, tszchun_anson said:

Hi all,

I now have a GTX1080Ti and i9-9900K with a 1080p monitor. I would like to replace the monitor with a DELL 4K monitor for better text-reading and web-browsing etc. However, it is almost impossible to run P3D at 4K with decent FPS with bunches of add-ons like PMDG, ASP4, and REX SF3D. Therefore I am curious about how P3D looks and performs when the resolution is set 1080P on a 4K monitor. 

Thanks,

Anson

How have you come to that conclusion? The 1080Ti is very capable of running at UHD and I fly the PMDG737 without any issues. Yes, you may need to lower scenery settings but the benefits of UHD far outweigh seeing a few more buildings for me.

Don't even think about running a non-native resolution on any monitor. I have to run at 1920*1080 for FS Labs Concorde and the image sharpness is compromised even with a quality monitor like the BenQ.

Buy the Dell. You won't be disappointed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 5/28/2020 at 5:23 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

How have you come to that conclusion? The 1080Ti is very capable of running at UHD and I fly the PMDG737 without any issues. Yes, you may need to lower scenery settings but the benefits of UHD far outweigh seeing a few more buildings for me.

Don't even think about running a non-native resolution on any monitor. I have to run at 1920*1080 for FS Labs Concorde and the image sharpness is compromised even with a quality monitor like the BenQ.

May I know your spec and approximately how much frame rate do you get on average?

My system is able to run P3D at average 50-60fps only at 1080p. If airport scenery is new and sophisticated while clouds are abundant, it will drop to 20-30 fps. Therefore I worry about the performance at 4K.

Anson

24 minutes ago, tszchun_anson said:

May I know your spec and approximately how much frame rate do you get on average?

My system is able to run P3D at average 50-60fps only at 1080p. If airport scenery is new and sophisticated while clouds are abundant, it will drop to 20-30 fps. Therefore I worry about the performance at 4K.

Anson

You have a processor more powerful than mine. I run my monitor at 30Hz and 30fps is achievable at all airports except Heathrow but then I have lots of Ai.

My settings are irrelevant but I certainly don’t have all sliders to the right. Just sensible for my hardware and personal preference.

20+ is plenty for fluid flying.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 5/28/2020 at 3:23 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not so fast Ray.  I run 2560x1440 on a Samsung 4k TV and the image quality is very good.  At first I thought it would be horrible but I tried it anyways.  I was so surprised at the quality I usually fly at that resolution.  But I could see from going from 4k down to 1080p might be a different story.

Matt Wilson

Matt,

What we are discussing is highly subjective. What is acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another.

I could not run 2560*1440 on a UHD display. The drop in quality for 1920*1080 is bad enough and that ratio is one quarter of the native res so should result in a cleaner image. If you’re happy then fine but the OP should only decide once he has seen it with his own eyes. 

Why don’t you run at UHD? Graphics card not up to it?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My experience.

I have a 43" 4k LG monitor. To improve performance I set the resolution in (various) games to 1080p full screen and 1440p full screen. 1080p was poor but I was pleasantly surprised with 1440p with this monitor. I then tried the same resolutions in windowed mode. Setting the in game resolution to 1440p on my 43" 4k screen resulted in a very good picture which took up screen space roughly the same size as a physical 27" monitor.

I did this for a while until I ultimately decided to get a fast 144hz LG 32" 2k monitor. The 4k screen has been relegated to youtube, ps4 and other duties.

Text is nowhere near as sharp as my Dell 27" 1440p screen. Obviously with the 32" screen fonts are larger without having to use scaling settings.

Before deciding also consider other factors. e.g. What size 4k monitor. How far from the screen can I sit (in my case 90cm). Will I have to use scaling to increase the font size and will that affect other software. Is my 4k monitor limited to 60hz, fine for certain sims but your use case may mean you will miss out in other sims.

Sitting 60cm away from a 27" 1440p screen is just as immersive as 90cm from a 32" screen. 4k was too taxing on my 1080ti with Ryzen 3700x. 2k is the sweet spot.

Cheers,

howevr

On 5/30/2020 at 7:01 AM, mpw8679 said:

Not so fast Ray.  I run 2560x1440 on a Samsung 4k TV and the image quality is very good.  At first I thought it would be horrible but I tried it anyways.  I was so surprised at the quality I usually fly at that resolution.  But I could see from going from 4k down to 1080p might be a different story.

How is your frame rate? Do you see noticeable improvement after downscaling to 1440p?

On 5/30/2020 at 9:17 AM, howevr said:

My experience.

I have a 43" 4k LG monitor. To improve performance I set the resolution in (various) games to 1080p full screen and 1440p full screen. 1080p was poor but I was pleasantly surprised with 1440p with this monitor. I then tried the same resolutions in windowed mode. Setting the in game resolution to 1440p on my 43" 4k screen resulted in a very good picture which took up screen space roughly the same size as a physical 27" monitor.

I did this for a while until I ultimately decided to get a fast 144hz LG 32" 2k monitor. The 4k screen has been relegated to youtube, ps4 and other duties.

Text is nowhere near as sharp as my Dell 27" 1440p screen. Obviously with the 32" screen fonts are larger without having to use scaling settings.

Before deciding also consider other factors. e.g. What size 4k monitor. How far from the screen can I sit (in my case 90cm). Will I have to use scaling to increase the font size and will that affect other software. Is my 4k monitor limited to 60hz, fine for certain sims but your use case may mean you will miss out in other sims.

Sitting 60cm away from a 27" 1440p screen is just as immersive as 90cm from a 32" screen. 4k was too taxing on my 1080ti with Ryzen 3700x. 2k is the sweet spot.

Cheers,

I am now using a 24” 1080p 60Hz monitor placed on my computer desk, while planning to buy a 27” 4K 60Hz Dell Ultrasharp. The PPI of the latter is much higher than the former, I wonder if I could lower my anti-aliasing which is now set to 8xMSAA for better performance.

1 hour ago, tszchun_anson said:

I am now using a 24” 1080p 60Hz monitor placed on my computer desk, while planning to buy a 27” 4K 60Hz Dell Ultrasharp. The PPI of the latter is much higher than the former, I wonder if I could lower my anti-aliasing which is now set to 8xMSAA for better performance.

Unless desk space is critical don't buy a 27" 4K display. It really is very small for that resolution. The choice is also very limited. You'll get far more choice at 32". AA really isn't required at 4K. I have MSAA set to 2x.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather