Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

american astronauts back in space today

1 minute ago, n4gix said:

You allow your eyes to be naked in public? Shouldn't they at least be wearing a kilt or something? 😏

😄 I’m English. We don’t wear kilts. The Scots would go ballistic. 😄 Anyway, if you wear a kilt you have to go commando if that translates to an American. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

For those of you with an Apple device download ISS Spotter. Free and extremely good.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

40 minutes ago, CYXR said:

I hope so also! Both crew members are experienced space shuttle astronauts who are also married to astronauts. Robert L. Behnken K. is married to Megan McArthur who served as a CAPCOM in previous missions.  Douglas G. Hurley is married to Karen Nyberg who is a retired astronaut. This crew is very familiar with each other. There are a whole lot of dedicated people who are involved with this launch. And there`s a lot on the line for SpaceX and NASA.  I can`t ignore what happened to Apollo 1`s crew but this business... it ain`t for the faint hearted. 

The crew must have the utmost faith in the equipment and I'm pretty sure they'll know what they're doing.

I'll be watching, and hoping the UK weather doesn't suddenly change.

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

😄 I’m English. We don’t wear kilts. The Scots would go ballistic. 😄 Anyway, if you wear a kilt you have to go commando if that translates to an American. 😉

Ah yes, I've seen several photos of Scotsmen in their kilts whilst sitting down. While the Queen's Crown Jewels were on full public display, some of these men were showing off their family jewels...  😎

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

An update to what I posted earlier. The ISS will pass over southern England around 22:57. The SpaceX will pass over 25 mins later and will be much dimmer but higher in the sky.

This assuming the launch takes place as there are storms in the area.

And the ISS travels at 17,000mph, not 25,000.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

The orbital inclination of the International Space Station is roughly 51.5 degrees, which means that anyone north of that latitude will only ever see it in the southern half of the sky. Being in the Midlands, that includes you, Martin 🙂

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

23 minutes ago, Jazz said:

No, it will be about 15 mins after launch at about 21:50

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/05/27/time-spacex-launch-today-watch-live/

Info-sharing gets even better. I was watching that new moon last night from 21:30 to see if I could get a spectacular shot of it descending into the red sunset glow.---alas, did not happen.quick enough

2 hours ago, Jazz said:

That's the attitude, guy's. Nice and negative🙄

Well, this is the first live payload is it not, with the inherent risk and trepidation despite being assessed and simulated over ad infinitum..

Not so much negative as realistic with a pinch of pessimism.😎

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Elevation just 27° in the SW but magnitude is -2.3 so very bright.

This piece of info is slightly baffling me, Ray. Let me see if I have this correct. From 0 degrees at horizon level, it should be appearing around the 27 degree elevation. But what's that -2.3 magnitude bit, please?

I used to actively search for satellites two decades ago. This all started in March 1997 when I was on a remote hill observing Comet Hale Bopp (still the only really decent comet that I have ever seen), and I noticed a bright light moving across the sky. I suspected that it was the Russian Mir space station (because very few orbiting objects were that bright at the time), and a quick check on my PC when I got home (courtesy of a great piece of software called Micro Orbiter 3.0) confirmed it. After that day, I started looking for satellites on a regular basis, and ended up spotting over eight hundred of them (not just satellites, but also the final stage booster rockets that got them there). That list included all eighty eight satellites in the Iridium constellation at the time (which could occasionally flash very brightly indeed), some spooky looking triplets in formation (these were some of the NOSS or Naval Ocean Surveillance System satellites), and a wide range of interesting and well known scientific satellites.

I stopped observing satellites a long time ago, but I have fond memories of those days 😎

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 minutes ago, vc10man said:

This piece of info is slightly baffling me, Ray. Let me see if I have this correct. From 0 degrees at horizon level, it should be appearing around the 27 degree elevation. But what's that -2.3 magnitude bit, please?

The magnitude is how bright it will be. For the record, a magnitude of -2.3 is similar to the apparent brightness of the planet Jupiter (the second brightest planet), and significantly brighter than the brightest star (Sirius). In layman's terms, it will be hard to miss!

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The magnitude is how bright it will be. For the record, a magnitude of -2.3 is similar to the apparent brightness of the planet Jupiter (the second brightest planet), and significantly brighter than the brightest star (Sirius). In layman's terms, it will be hard to miss!

Wow, what a day for an event due to be launched in Cape Kennedy, and here, yet again, another really helpful piece of info. Thanks, Chris. I am definitely parking myself(on foot,really) on that vantage point I was watching that moon last night!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Thanks Chris. And just to complete the picture Venus in the last few months achieved -4.4, the full moon is -11 and the sun -26.

Its a logarithmic scale with each magnitude being 2.5 times brighter than a higher one. Mag 6 is the threshold for the naked eye on a perfectly dark night.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Enjoy it while you can until we get thousands of Starlink satellites reflectively brightening up our clear night skies..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink#Constellation_design_and_status

This anime might become a reality..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetes

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

SpaceX has a live stream going on right now. Currently following the astronauts as they prep for the flight.

• Like 1