Sign in to follow this  
SorensenDK

Good Framerates - major stutters / pauses

I will play with it again, HT enabled again, and see.  I'm all for longevity in this new build so running cooler is definitely a means to help promote longevity, at least to some degree pardon the pun.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

11 minutes ago, Noel said:

I will play with it again, HT enabled again, and see.  I'm all for longevity in this new build so running cooler is definitely a means to help promote longevity, at least to some degree pardon the pun.

Did you water-cool the 9900? My 9900KS is at 5ghz with HT on and never goes above 65C, when used in Xp-11 or P3D. Water cooled. 

Nope, as in my sig, Noctua NH-D15S.  When ambient is around 21C w/ HT on stays around 65-67C, so w/ HT off around 55-56C.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So HT off is doing 85% the work of HT On (55/65).

HT on is very hard to see in the simulator visually without special measurement tools. Also a good setup can actually show 1 or 2 fps less overall as there's more work in the background for the main task to assimilate. We see, for example, more autogen loaded in the same time then. You have to be very careful to avoid overloading the background task with too many LPs enabled. That's why I recommended a one task per core to start out with, reducing the cores used to leave one free to attract other work and perhaps enabling two LPs on one or two later cores with less than ten cores available. With many cores, enabling lots of '11's in the AM isn't required. The fasted loading scenario may be too much work in the background. We see jumps in loading speed with more cores. When those jumps become tiny decreases in loading time we went too far since the system can only reach a finite amount of throughput..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Can you comment

12 minutes ago, SteveW said:

So HT off is doing 85% the work of HT On (55/65).... The fasted loading scenario may be too much work in the background.

FFTF Dynamic should help fine tune this issue I would think.

• Like 1

Noel

15 minutes ago, Noel said:

Can you comment

FFTF Dynamic should help fine tune this issue I would think.

If in FPS mode.

• Like 1

The higher temps with HT enabled, Noel, could indicate that you are allowing it to do too much work that way. As I said earlier, that can be detrimental to the outcome.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I will have a look and see.  Off the cuff, what AM would you predict would be the best balance for me for HT enabled?   Right now w/ the mask I am using for 8 core non HT I have 

26 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

If in FPS mode.

Why would frames mode be better than AGL mode?    Right now I am playing w/ AGL mode under the belief in general terrain loading demand relates fairly well to AGL and my hypothesis is that the long pauses happen when P3D decides it needs to load a giant terrain tile, decides it too late in the game, and that by picking those off earlier (in a descent for example) this might obviate the rare long frame I get.  Because I'm vsync'd via RTSS to 1/2 of 60Hz all the matters is maintaining at least 30 frames.  What range would I chose then?  29-32 or something along those lines?

Edited by Noel

Noel

20 minutes ago, Noel said:

Why would frames mode be better than AGL mode? 

I never said that. I myself am using only AGL mode.

Well, when I said FFTF Dynamic should help the issue of "The fasted loading scenario may be too much work in the background...", you immediately replied, 'If in FPS mode'.  

Noel

15 hours ago, SteveW said:

It's only hotter if it performs more work.

The relevant point is whether those extra logical processors are doing useful work... the kind of work that enhances the simming experience.  Which in itself is no easy metric to determine since each of our sims/computers is configured uniquely differently.  Kind of makes hay of the arguments of those who claim HT should always be on and those who claim HT should be off.

Greg

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2020 at 11:18 AM, SteveW said:

If you read the posts you can see that HT on is useless without an APPROPRIATE AM. There's no such thing as no AM.

Interesting thread to follow. I have a 7700HQ so 4 cores and can’t turn HT off on this processor. With V4 I always ran with AM 85 to mimick HT being off. However with V5, this seemed to cost me a few FPS. Not sure if others have noticed different AM setting across the 2 versions of P3D? 

ive tried 255 (all cores) and 243 (masks off 2nd physical core and LP) and both of them seem to produce good FPS albeit with higher temps

6 pages......and not one single advice how to fix this issue....HT, cores, AM, 4K.......! I haven't had it at all till today....none whatsoever....how do you guys explain this? Frames steady at 30 FPS but stutters every 4-5 seconds and annoying to the point of not using it at all.

If one had superior performance and nothing changed and installed since last night, why would be major stutters and good frames. Why suddenly?

• Like 1

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

3 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

If one had superior performance and nothing changed and installed since last night, why would be major stutters and good frames. Why suddenly?

Something HAS changed, stutters doesn't come from nowhere. Maybe a Windows Update, maybe Antivirus, maybe a thermal problem .....

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Just now, JoeFackel said:

Something HAS changed, stutters doesn't come from nowhere. Maybe a Windows Update, maybe Antivirus, maybe a thermal problem .....

Yeah well, that's the point....Nothing changed. After latest Win update I flew several times and all good, antivirus is only window defender, nothing else, thermal is under control, temps are as usual as always, all cores are firing properly....so something loads....what is loading I have no idea. I checked FSUIPC but all is off. Go figure.....got stuck exactly 2 seconds! I just checked.... Frames steady at 30 and not moving.....

• Like 1

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic