Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade my system in the upcoming weeks in order to a) improve performance in P3D v4 (I just bought v5 and ran out of vram straight away and it was so buggy; very regretful) and b) get myself more inline for the MFS2020 specs.

My current build:

i5-6500

GTX 1050Ti

16GB RAM

1TB SSD

I'm looking to upgrade both my CPU to an i7-9700k and my GPU to a 2070 but I can only do one at a time. So, do I go for the CPU (+ mobo) upgrade or the GPU upgrade? I have no idea what to do!

Thank you :)

Hi,

To be honest I think you will need to budget for both CPU and graphics card in the end.

That CPU is 5th generation and as far as I can tell has no overclocking capability (aka "K series Intel CPUs) so you are stuck at just over 3 Ghz. You need to be shooting for a minimum 4Ghz base clock to stand a chance with P3D.

As for the graphics card, for P3D V5 you would need a graphics card with at least 8Gb VRAM if not more for v5. For v4.5 would get away with something smaller 4Gb-8Gb VRAM.

What I would do is purchase a new CPU/motherboard combo and then keep an eye on the graphic card deals. Nvidia are reportedly going to bring 3000series cards later this year so you could pick up a good deal on a 2000 series Nvidia 2070 or 2080.

Re MSFS, CPU at 4Ghz or better. Graphics card as per above. Your RAM is fine although if you purchase a new mobo, you ll need to check compatibility.

Hope that helps a little???

Cheers
Mark

• Like 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes I had intended to get both a new CPU and GPU in the long run as I knew it was required but just knew I could not get both at the same time. I'll pick up a mobo and CPU in a few weeks' time.

Thank you!