Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Another great Manfred Jahn Aircraft!

For any fans of large piston-engine aircraft, a group lead by Manfred Jahn have just released a very nice freeware version of the Blackburn Beverley. This rather unique aircraft was a double-decker, high-winged four-engine military transport developed for and (as far as I know) only operated by the RAF during the 50s and 60s. It could carry over 100 troops or bulky freight loaded through huge clamshell rear doors and was designed to operate in and out of unprepared rough strips. It was quite ungainly looking and if a Shorts 330 can be described as a flying shed this has at least got to be a barn!

This freeware aircraft (for FSX and P3D) is beautifully modelled externally with realistic looking textures and, as you would expect from Manfred, it has a nice and very functional virtual cockpit. It also comes with the extremely useful 2D 'monitor' window with which users of his great C-47 will be familiar. Although I have never heard a Beverley in action (the only one I have ever seen was outside a museum), the internal and external  sounds are superb and are what I would expect from four Bristol Centaurus radial engines. Its flight dynamics seem appropriate although its rate of descent with full flaps and power off was perhaps a little less than I would expect although this may be related to its large wing. It has a low stall speed and a great short field performance, aided by its reversible props which are fully replicated, and I was even able to operate a lightly loaded Beverley into and out of a short strip just over 1000ft long. As such it may be a fun aircraft to try using as a large bush transport into some rough strips in somewhere like Alaska.

So once again, many thanks to Manfred Jahn and his talented team for yet another great piece of freeware. It is fair to say that this, like his C-47, is equal to if not better than some payware aircraft. We are very lucky to have such generous and skilled freeware developers out there.

Bill

• Like 3

Thanks for that heads-up. In fact it was not far from being phased out when I joined the RAF. I do like Manfred Jahn's aircraft from what I have perused here, but have never actually downloaded or installed any🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scianoir said:

As such it may be a fun aircraft to try using as a large bush transport into some rough strips in somewhere like Alaska.

Operationally, the Beverley was deployed to Africa and the Far East - plenty of rough field operations to be had their too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Beverley

My sister in law is called Beverley, and of course, me knowing what the aircraft was and how it looked, took great merriment in pointing out the ungainly plane to my wife.. 😜

I'm still alive... and still married (29 years this year) so all's good!

Simouthouse requires me to register to at least view the forums.. but thank you for the link anyway, Artur!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

I do like Manfred Jahn's aircraft from what I have perused here, but have never actually downloaded or installed any🤣

His C-47 is a real gem but his other aircraft including the C-97, L1049G and L1649 Starliner are all pretty good too.

2 hours ago, HighBypass said:

knowing what the aircraft was and how it looked, took great merriment in pointing out the ungainly plane to my wife.. 😜

Brave man!! I usually try to keep in mind the wise phrase "Blood is thicker than water" when I am about to open my mouth and say something like that, unless a glass of something has loosened my inhibitions and then I could easily land myself in the deep stuff!!

Bill

• Like 1

I hasten to add that my wife and her older sister are not twins!! 😉

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 hours ago, HighBypass said:

took great merriment in pointing out the ungainly plane to my wife..

You mean to say you escaped being banished to.....................take your pick, Mark? You must have more lives than a cat!!!🤣

Wise Irish counsel, Bill.👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Once you begin to live life on the edge, it can only be a knife edge from thereon.. 😎 😄

Mark Robinson

19 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Simouthouse requires me to register to at least view the forums.. but thank you for the link anyway, Artur!

Simouthouse is quite a nice resource Mark and it has quite a few freeware downloads available which you might not find on here and it also hosts a very friendly and helpful forum, although it tends to be slightly more orientated towards military flight simming. Nevertheless it’s worth registering for IMO.

Bill

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vc10man said:

Wise Irish counsel, Bill.👍

Having three sister-in-laws Rick, I have learned the hard way to be extra cautious when I open my mouth! Strangely, it’s ok for my wife to criticise them but if I repeat the same criticism .......

Bill

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scianoir said:

Having three sister-in-laws Rick, I have learned the hard way to be extra cautious when I open my mouth! Strangely, it’s ok for my wife to criticise them but if I repeat the same criticism .......

Bill

Ah, yes, as I too have known far well, Bill, it's okay for sisters to criticise, name-call sisters, but if a man opens his mouth to say anything unflattering,  woe betide that man🤣. That's why like you, I just hold my counsel and smile benignly inwardly🤣

• Like 1

I am now excitedly waiting for the FSX release - my lifespan post-Beverley release might be measured in days or even hours... 😄

EDIT - just joined SimOuthouse - the Beverley is in their library 😎

Edited by HighBypass

Mark Robinson