Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Windows 10 2004 - BSOD on startup after updating from 1909

Everytime I try to update from 1909 to 2004, upon boot up I get a BSOD. something about page fault in akdsys. I couldn't catch the message soon enough before the computer reverted back to my previous install. I have tried several times, and it's always giving me a BSOD. Any ideas what is causing it not to boot up?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Isn't there some dump file you can check for clues? 

ttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/315263/how-to-read-the-small-memory-dump-file-that-is-created-by-windows-if-a#method1

Had an annoying intermittent BSOD after building my new computer and the dump file led me to the culprit.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I have exactly the same problem. Still haven’t upgraded.

akdsys was one of the errors I had, but it’s happened several times with different errors. I’ve turned update off for the time being and am waiting for the public release version. That one is related to the Sentinel USB DRM (Rights protection) utility. 

Don’t think it’s related to the sim. Most common explanation I’ve  heard about is it’s related to corrupt device drivers; possibly hardware related. 
Ive done various driver updates and the usual windows and registry fixes, but although the error message has now changed, basically I still can’t update.

If you anyone finds out please let us know.

ray

1 hour ago, howevr said:

Thanks, according to that link, it may be related to this or have something to do with this:

Issues updating or starting up devices when aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys is present
An incompatibility issue was found with apps or drivers using certain versions of aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys and Windows 10, version 2004 (the Windows 10 May 2020 Update). When an affected version of aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys is present, Windows 10, version 2004 might fail to install or might fail to start after updating. Affected file versions are up to 1.8.0.* for aksfridge.sys or up to 1.51.* for aksdf.sys.

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with an affected version of aksfridge.sys from being offered Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows Server, version 2004.

Affected platforms:
Client: Windows 10, version 2004
Server: Windows Server, version 2004
Next steps: Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Note We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved.

-----------------------------

If this is the case, then there's nothing we can do but have to wait for Microsoft to fix this issue on their end so that we can update. I really do not want to do a clean install.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

UPDATE: I did some digging and found this for those of you who are having the dreaded BSOD related to aksdf.sys. You may want to try this. Let me know if this gets rid of the error.

http://cbstechnology.co.uk/windows-10-insider-preview-gsod-whilst-updating-aksdf-sys-error/

UPDATE #2: I can confirm that link fixed it for me! Finally able to install the update! 🙂

I’m sure it’s not the case with your problem but it’s always a good idea to wait to for updates to be offered rather than clicking the “check for updates” button as this bypasses any checks for compatibility on your system.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Why the rush?

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

44 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Why the rush?

Cheers, Ed

I think in this case the reason for the rush is the more VRAM that is a tremendous help with P3DV5

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

The update is officially out, and I didn't update via check for updates.

12 hours ago, captain420 said:

The update is officially out, and I didn't update via check for updates.

Windows updates are handled by AZURE AI Cloud, meaning users will get the update in batches depending on location and number.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

MS is also managing which customers/machines are pushing the update notifications out to based on some configurations some customers have.

Whats also interesting to note are noted incompatibilities with some Nvidia graphic drivers aka:

Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU)

Nvidia and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with certain versions of Nvidia display adapter drivers and Windows 10, version 2004 (the Windows 10 May 2020 Update). Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display driver versions might receive a stop error with a blue screen or other issues during or after installing the update to Windows 10, version 2004. The affected drivers are any version lower than 358.00.

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display drivers drivers installed from being offered Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows Server, version 2004 until the driver has been updated.

Affected platforms:
  • Client: Windows 10, version 2004
  • Server: Windows Server, version 2004

Workaround: To mitigate this issue, you will need to check with your device manufacturer (OEM) to see if an updated driver is available and install it.

Next steps: Microsoft and Nvidia are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Note We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

What is the world coming too, people deleting all there Flight sim a year before MSFS is released and NOW people want windows to push an update to them before it`s safe, the world has turned on it head.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg