Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Multiplayer syncing issues

Too many built in p3d 4.5 hotfix3 multiplayer issues to list. Autopilot panels not syncing. Pressurization suddenly not syncing and cabin altitude knob stopping to turn. steering lock not syncing each person has to turn it on on their side. sometimes the speed hold and alt sel operate normally most times no. Vertical speed never holds. Both of us have the same installed version. Is there a best practice for setting it up like the host loading in and first setting the panel state and loadout before the other person connects? It is frustrating.

Edited by Boeing or not going

45 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

Too many built in p3d 4.5 hotfix3 multiplayer issues to list.

I don't have any shared cockpit experience, but I've have read there have been problems with it in P3Dv4 and v5. What a/c do you have where it works well?

One thing you might look at is JoinFS to see it it offers a solution.  https://pmem.uk/joinfs/ 

I used the Lear35A with JoinFS for multiplayer (not shared cockpit) with FSX and it worked well.

Al

Edited by ark

Small point of order here.

Multiplayer is actually Microsoft's gateway for both Single and Microsoft Shared Cockpit (default aircraft only and likely does not work unless the aircraft was present in FSX because the gauges have to be programmed specifically for Microsoft Shared Cockpit.  Again, it's the Gateway, not shared cockpit, MS shared cockpit is something that can be done on the server.  Traditionally Multiplayer is a bunch of people doing their own thing on the same server or several servers linked together, and again Multiplayer does not mean Shared Cockpit (MS or otherwise).

Shared Cockpit (non-Microsoft) does not use the Microsoft Shared Cockpit code, which is extremely limited.

I hope this helps with the terminology.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Small point of order here.

Multiplayer is actually Microsoft's gateway for both Single and Microsoft Shared Cockpit (default aircraft only and likely does not work unless the aircraft was present in FSX because the gauges have to be programmed specifically for Microsoft Shared Cockpit.  Again, it's the Gateway, not shared cockpit, MS shared cockpit is something that can be done on the server.  Traditionally Multiplayer is a bunch of people doing their own thing on the same server or several servers linked together, and again Multiplayer does not mean Shared Cockpit (MS or otherwise).

Shared Cockpit (non-Microsoft) does not use the Microsoft Shared Cockpit code, which is extremely limited.

So Dave, if I'm understanding correctly, shared cockpit in P3D v4 or v5 likely requires 3rd party shared cockpit software and an aircraft designed to be compatible with that software?

Thanks for the input,

Al

Edited by ark

3 hours ago, ark said:

So Dave, if I'm understanding correctly, shared cockpit in P3D v4 or v5 likely requires 3rd party shared cockpit software and an aircraft designed to be compatible with that software?

Thanks for the input,

Al

Not exactly.

Back when FSX was being worked on and released, MS created a server based Multiplayer arena.  They also created a VERY rudimentary networking of default FSX aircraft which required specially coded gauges in order to transfer data back and forth between two people.  Since they already had the Multiplayer area, they built the MS Shared Cockpit connection utility into the Multiplayer system.  You were also able to perform a Direct Connect (no server), however it was also done in the Multiplayer area of the software (FSX).

Using MS Shared Cockpit in P3D has often been a struggle for people, however if it does work it will only be with the Aircraft in P3D which also existed in FSX because shared aircraft have to have those specially coded gauges and a few other things.  Again, this is only for FSX default aircraft (some of which were ported to P3D).

If you want to fly a third party Airliner in Shared Cockpit you only have 17 choices (these do not use MS Shared Cockpit code, but rather their own networking based on Winsock in Windows).  I want to say here and now that you would very likely only have one choice had it not been largely for my efforts over the past 15 years.  

Those aircraft are:

Aerosoft Airbus Professional (A318/A319/A320/A321 and A330, which is actually 8 different aircraft) for P3Dv4.5/5.

Aerosoft Airbus Extended X (A318/A319/A320/A321) for FSX and P3Dv3

Leonardo MaddogX MD-82/83/88 for FSX and P3Dv4.5/5

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Professional

TFDi Design B717 (they are also working on a MD-11 which will be shared cockpit).

I've lost track of GA Aircraft that are shared cockpit capable as I don't fly GA.

The Aerosoft Flight Sim Community (a community I manage) is a home for Shared Cockpit and single cockpit pilots who are interested in making close friends and doing events together (plus we hold classes in a virtual classroom, have special meetings with developers around the flight sim world and offer special discounts on hardware and software to members, though there are other groups.

I hope this has been helpful.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

21 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Yes, very helpful, and very interesting.

Thanks,

Al

On 5/28/2020 at 5:23 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

Not exactly.

Back when FSX was being worked on and released, MS created a server based Multiplayer arena.  They also created a VERY rudimentary networking of default FSX aircraft which required specially coded gauges in order to transfer data back and forth between two people.  Since they already had the Multiplayer area, they built the MS Shared Cockpit connection utility into the Multiplayer system.  You were also able to perform a Direct Connect (no server), however it was also done in the Multiplayer area of the software (FSX).

Using MS Shared Cockpit in P3D has often been a struggle for people, however if it does work it will only be with the Aircraft in P3D which also existed in FSX because shared aircraft have to have those specially coded gauges and a few other things.  Again, this is only for FSX default aircraft (some of which were ported to P3D).

If you want to fly a third party Airliner in Shared Cockpit you only have 17 choices (these do not use MS Shared Cockpit code, but rather their own networking based on Winsock in Windows).  I want to say here and now that you would very likely only have one choice had it not been largely for my efforts over the past 15 years.  

Those aircraft are:

Aerosoft Airbus Professional (A318/A319/A320/A321 and A330, which is actually 8 different aircraft) for P3Dv4.5/5.

Aerosoft Airbus Extended X (A318/A319/A320/A321) for FSX and P3Dv3

Leonardo MaddogX MD-82/83/88 for FSX and P3Dv4.5/5

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Professional

TFDi Design B717 (they are also working on a MD-11 which will be shared cockpit).

I've lost track of GA Aircraft that are shared cockpit capable as I don't fly GA.

The Aerosoft Flight Sim Community (a community I manage) is a home for Shared Cockpit and single cockpit pilots who are interested in making close friends and doing events together (plus we hold classes in a virtual classroom, have special meetings with developers around the flight sim world and offer special discounts on hardware and software to members, though there are other groups.

I had problems with the Q400 in shared cockpit and was told the Learjet supported default multiplayer and connecting the cockpit. It works except for the small issues I explained in my post.

14 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

I had problems with the Q400 in shared cockpit and was told the Learjet supported default multiplayer and connecting the cockpit. It works except for the small issues I explained in my post.

I believe the Lear hails from FSX so that makes sense.

The Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Professional not only works perfectly in Shared Cockpit, it actually the very best Shared Cockpit of any such aircraft for FSX/P3D.  I was a lead Beta Tester on the Dash for over 6 years and the lead shared cockpit tester on it and many other shared cockpit aircraft.  There are OVPA Guides in the Shared Cockpit forum here on AVSIM which can help you.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

On 5/29/2020 at 9:10 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

I believe the Lear hails from FSX so that makes sense.

The Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Professional not only works perfectly in Shared Cockpit, it actually the very best Shared Cockpit of any such aircraft for FSX/P3D.  I was a lead Beta Tester on the Dash for over 6 years and the lead shared cockpit tester on it and many other shared cockpit aircraft.  There are OVPA Guides in the Shared Cockpit forum here on AVSIM which can help you.

Best wishes.

Perfect for you but not for me. FMC not synching, pressing a switch on the overhead causes hard freeze on my side, and many other problems.

5 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

Perfect for you but not for me. FMC not synching, pressing a switch on the overhead causes hard freeze on my side, and many other problems.

It is not the Dash 8 software, that I can promise you. It is one of the following which apply to both people:

1 Not using the Professional version.

2. Not usjng the latest update.

3. Firewall issue on one or two ports.

Be sure to read the Majestic Documentation and the OVPA Guide will get you sorted and where the latter is concerned resd it cover to cover.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

10 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

It is not the Dash 8 software, that I can promise you. It is one of the following which apply to both people:

1 Not using the Professional version.

2. Not usjng the latest update.

3. Firewall issue on one or two ports.

Be sure to read the Majestic Documentation and the OVPA Guide will get you sorted and where the latter is concerned resd it cover to cover.

Best wishes.

both on beta patch and professional. Firewall ports opened. One flight it all worked perfectly and since then 3 attempts have resulted in freezes or syncing issues.

2 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

both on beta patch and professional. Firewall ports opened. One flight it all worked perfectly and since then 3 attempts have resulted in freezes or syncing issues.

How does the Dash work on both machines in a full flight outside of Shared Cockpit?

Dave Hodges

7 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

How does the Dash work on both machines in a full flight outside of Shared Cockpit?

Perfect never an issue single pilot

5 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

Perfect never an issue single pilot

If you're 100% sure the product is installed correctly,  I'd hazard a guess that one of you have issues with their Internet.  Please read my first two guides, there are steps to sort that out.  Let me be clear, I know for a fact (as in 100%, bet your life on it) it's not the Dash software and you'll waste your time looking there.

Dave Hodges