Sign in to follow this  
johncott

Interesting OOM issue

Since upgrading to Windows 10 last summer, I have been having  more OOM issues. I am using FSX.SE with all the ORBX global add-ons plus New Zealand and Australia. I usually fly with Pilot's FSGRW with updates and little Navconnect so I can used LittleNavmap on another computer. I use FSUIPC to monitor the memory and display it. I start process explorer when I start having issues to see what is happening.  I am fully aware of the 32-bit 4GB limit and have done all the fixes for OOM issues I could find.

Here is what is happening:

Will start flying and my memory will slowly drop, which is what I would expect to happen. On a recent flight my memory dropped from 2.3 GB down to about 600MB (.6GB) after a few minutes of flying. Was taking off near Vancouver BC and figured the memory drop was caused by being near a city.  Was able to complete my 2.5 hour flight with no issues and the memory stayed at about 600MB for the rest of the 2.5 hour fight.  Yesterday, was flying from High Level (CYOJ) to Ekati (CYOA).  Has the usual memory drop along the way for the first 1.5 hours of the flight, from 2.4GB to 1.9 GB.  Within 30 seconds, it dropped down from 1.9GB to about 250MB and FSUIPC sent out its beep. Was ready to abort the flight and notice everything was working ok. The scenery, weather and frame rates looked ok. Kept on flying for another 45 minutes and finished my flight ok.  The memory stayed at about 250 MB for the whole 45 minutes. I have had this happen a few other times in the past but usually just stop the flight before I get an OOM error, never bother to see how long I can fly.

Just wondering if anybody else is having this issue or may have any thoughts?  Is Windows 10 putting this memory aside somehow and this is why I can still fly?  Has anybody else experience the sudden large memory drop within a minute or so?

Cheers,

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

OOMs are never interesting.. They are always annoying 😉

I agree, they are a nuisance, I too began to suffer them when I changed to Windows10 from windows7 (32): I then noticed my scenery settings were HIGH too; I reduced them a bit, moved sliders to the Left, and voila that fixed the OOM's Have never seen them again.

Berlopez

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:14 PM, johncott said:

Yesterday, was flying from High Level (CYOJ) to Ekati (CYOA).  Has the usual memory drop along the way for the first 1.5 hours of the flight, from 2.4GB to 1.9 GB.  Within 30 seconds, it dropped down from 1.9GB to about 250MB and FSUIPC sent out its beep. W

Hi John, I’m not sure where in Canada these airports are situated, but that sudden drop suggests something (probably scenery) near where you were flying at the time was consuming quite a lot of VAS. You need to check if there is any add-on scenery in that area that could be causing a problem as some add-ons, freeware and occasionally payware (Fsxcenery products for example), are poorly optimised and can be responsible for excessive VAS usage. Just worth a look I think - let us know if you find anything.

Regards,

Bill