Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

LATAM Airlines files for bankruptcy

LATAM--the merged former LAN Airlines (Chile) and TAM Airlines (Brazil) has joined the airline bankrupcy hit parade.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-latam-airlines-ana/latin-america-grabs-world-spotlight-for-airline-bankruptcies-idUSKBN2341NV

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

A genuine question - are we allowed to discuss the cause?  I honestly wasn't clear from the final post on the other thread whether you were just shutting down that discussion, or whether all discussion of the novel coronvavirus is now forbidden.  If you could clarify, that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure the point was that if someone's not got to the point they wanted to discuss after 149 pages of a forum thread on particular subject, then it's not looking likely they're ever going to get there.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'm pretty sure the point was that if someone's not got to the point they wanted to discuss after 149 pages of a forum thread on particular subject, then it's not looking likely they're ever going to get there.

That doesn't answer my question.

• Like 1

Some of the big airlines will be bailed out ( subsidised ) by the tax payer then watch the trade wars start drive the competition out.    

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

What needs to happen is for airlines to stop with the fantasy that they can operate 737s and A320s on medium haul flights, yet constantly tell holidaymakers that they only need to charge 50 quid for a seat on the things and it still be a viable proposition for a business. This sort of thing has lead to a completely unrealistic level of expectation from people when they look to buy airline tickets and lead to such narrow margins that many airlines are a wafer-thin distance away from collapse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

27 minutes ago, Chock said:

What needs to happen is for airlines to stop with the fantasy that they can operate 737s and A320s on medium haul flights, yet constantly tell holidaymakers that they only need to charge 50 quid for a seat on the things and it still be a viable proposition for a business. This sort of thing has lead to a completely unrealistic level of expectation from people when they look to buy airline tickets and lead to such narrow margins that many airlines are a wafer-thin distance away from collapse.

LATAM are hardly renown for charging £50 for their seats.

It's boils down to simple economics.
There are currently too many airlines. The only two options available to an airline's management to make the firm profitable are: to wait until a number of their competitors disappear and raise prices, or to slash costs.

The industry was an oligopoly (where a small number of firms collude, either explicitly or tacitly, to restrict output and/or fix prices, in order to achieve above normal market returns), but it is now closer to that of monopolistic competition (firms have little power to set curtail supply or raise prices to increase profits. Firms in monopolistic competition typically try to differentiate their product in order to achieve in order to capture above market returns).

Evidence of this is for economy passengers. Much needed competition from the LCCs has lead to a situation where if one airline on a given route prices their seat even $/€/£10 more expensive than their competitors, they lose the passenger.
Hence the unbundling of 'extras' (hold baggage, boarding sequence, seat assignment, etc.) to keep the baseline fare as low as possible when the passenger is searching flight prices.

To cover the low fares, the operating costs are slashed: flights to cheaper secondary airports (if possible), outsourcing of ground handling, cabin crew hired on the cheapest salaries, flight crew hired as contractors rather than employees...

It's hard to feel too sorry for the airlines when the most successful made billions in profit and experienced double digit profit margins in 2019.
FR: 12%, BA: 15%, DL: 14%, SW: 13%

Then again, these aren't normal times. Every airline is going to suffer.
Only the ones that were sucessful since the last downturn are going to survive this crisis.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

LATAM are hardly renown for charging £50 for their seats.

Never said they did. I was referring to the many low cost airlines who do indulge in this sort of thing, which creates an unrealistic expectation on the part of passengers as to how much an airline ticket actually costs on average. This puts pressure on every airline to trim every corner possible in order to try to remain in business, with the knock on effect to everything else. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury