Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

May 28th, 2020 - Development/Insider Update

Amazing video. Tree sizes still not there yet, some places look bigger than real life. A few things I see the most when I fly in a real airplane are buildings, tress and roads for the most part so they have to be accurate.

Also ground handling while taxing seems to me on the sensitive side.

Evan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I liked the IFR series.  Good introduction.  From what he said in the video the ATC can clear you for SIDS and STARS, clear you for an approach transition which can also coincide with a STAR, or give you vectors for final.  It would be interesting to see how well the vectors will be, and even if you could request an approach transition via an IAF or vectors.  I’m also wondering how well it would handle a STAR that terminates at a waypoint then says expect vectors to final approach course.

A good example is the LENDY arrival in KJFK.  Landing on the 22s or 31s New York Approach typically has you fly to LENDY then gives you a left downwind for the 22s or 31s.  If landing on the 4s or 13s, you typically fly to LGA VOR then get a right downwind for the 4s or a right downwind to the 13s.  At the very least FS2020 ATC could have general pattern vectors that would hopefully work for most airports and also hopefully have terrain awareness.  It definitely is looking good now though.

I also like how you have pretty much full FMC functionality.  And also how the airac is updated every cycle.  That’s awesome!

Edited by ap1
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, JughedJones said:

I spent hours and hours and hours and hours.

Me too! That game got me hooked on flight sims. Ran great at about 2 spf (secs per frame) 😆

• Like 1

Chris

55 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

OMG Matthew. Stop embarrassing yourself. 

You, lol 🙄

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

That's why I said 'obviously', as in 'clear to all', as in 'not dependent on personal perception'. Without breaching the Alpha NDA I think I can safely say a) you can see in many screenshots that the trees are obviously oversized in places and b) the devs are clever, perceptive people.

If you have the Alpha then it may be obvious to you.

So are you saying they have fixed it in your lastest alpha build?  Take a screen shot of Sydney and submit to Asobo for next week's update.

Matthew S

39 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Me too! That game got me hooked on flight sims. Ran great at about 2 spf (secs per frame) 😆

Ya know,  Jet came out when I was about 10.     I had already learned how to fly a circuit correctly in the first Microsoft Flight Simulator, and poured through the encyclopedia sized manual they gave us with it.  I was a tiny kid. 

When Jet came out, I started to learn how to hack into my computer to make it faster so I could fly better.    What a trip. 

But the trees.  

Particularly loved the nav data on the map view as well as flight planning interface. The scale of this project is just incredible. 

The flight scenes were not all that smooth it seems (stuttering etc) but overall highly impressed! 

Hope they will release 2020, as the title implies.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 767lover said:

The flight scenes were not all that smooth it seems (stuttering etc) but overall highly impressed! 

I noticed that too. I presume they are producing these videos on those top tier machines they had at the press day. 😱

Matthew S

6 minutes ago, 767lover said:

Probably seems like that because they were either using a time compression or sped up the video as indicated when it said 2X or 5X. Usually under time compression or accelerated video it can look a bit choppy.

• Like 7

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 minute ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Probably seems like that because they were either using a time compression or sped up the video as indicated when it said 2X or 5X. Usually under time compression or accelerated video it can look a bit choppy.

Oh good point.. that might be it.

Matthew S

I hope that with so many of the areas that used to be the domain of expensive add-on companies now covered by the core product, we start to see new types of add-on in the mainstream that are a bit more inventive and useful. Just watching this I was thinking how possible it would be now to have actual, in-depth, flight instruction add-ons. You could even do whole series building up from a 152 to a 747. The instructor could even call out markers in the scenery to aim for etc these days. I would buy something like that in a flash. 

• Like 3

What surprises me is that in the Innsbruck screenshot all roofs appear flat.(?) For halls, high-rise buildings and some other houses this is certainly true, but for all houses?

Edited by ArchStanton
  • Upvote 2

A whole lot more fidelity for default aircraft than anything current or previous sims thats for sure.   I dont particularly find the ATC that much different from the old FSX other than the SID/STAR capabilities and hopefully better vectoring.  Its still rather generic. Probably the phonetic saying of YVR Yankee Victor Romeo and waypoints instead of the names but I guess thats a whole lot more involved to train for speech.  In sim ATC should be able to decipher traffic levels, and give a DTO cutting off a large part of the STAR if its not busy for example. And is there no TCAS? Couldnt see any traffic at all on the ND despite saying watch for traffic landing 16C. 

All in all, pretty neat having all this out of the box, especially things like updated Navdata.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Looks amazing. Did anyone else notice he mentioned  restricted airspace? This both impresses me and alarms me at the same time. What happens if you fly into this area? Do they provide you with a warning and otherwise leave you alone? Do they send up a couple of F-22's / Eurofighters 😉 Maybe that's why there are no screenies of Area-51 yet as they get shot down before getting too close 😛 

Seriously though it will be interesting to see how this is handled. Maybe it is configurable as I want to be able to fly anywhere!