Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Where Eagles Never Dared

Cue the "Where Eagles Dare" theme tune..

Somewhere in the Azores (Lajes Field to be precise). An Me-264 AKA Amerika Bomber..

tOp4bZu.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Unforgettable movie.....!!

Just now, listened, again, to that opening roll and the theme tune....creates quite the effect along with that Classic Ju-52..(may the plane, and its (unfortunate) occupants, rest in peace, following that (2018) crash..!)...

And, great (historical) Messerschmitt, here, Mark! Nice shot...!

• Like 1

Wow, I used to fly this plane a few times in FSX and P3D v3. It was fun to watch the main wheels drop, when you tried to retract gear. And when you landed and wanted to lower gear, they were back on. Its flying characteristics were a bit tricky, well at least for me 😃

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Was this plane actually able to make it to ''Amerika'' from Germany?

Did it have the range?,..seems like wishful thinking!

Looks nice though, never seen it before now!..the tires look massive!

Thanks for posting Mark.

• Like 1

Luke Pype

I'm going to have to get used to the controls,yes the tyres were huge and on gear retraction the outside two wheels (extras fitted for higher weights) drop away on little axle spindles to leave one mainwheel on each.

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I had another go at a takeoff and a bit of autopilot flying, but this time adding 6000lb to the bomb bay. I presume that's what station 8 is as the CG didn't change much if at all.

I took off from Lajes field in the Azores, but used the entire runway and the displaced threshold (backed up over the yellow chevrons). Full flap and full up trim and some back stick resulted in her clawing into the air.. This is the V2 version with automatic prop condition. I haven't tried the V3 with the higher powered BMW engines. (All versions come packaged in the freeware product).

This witch of the skies needs more than a 10000 foot runway.... or the six-engined 364 variant!

I've added a small repaint which Thomas could not as he is in Germany - the swastikas are now present on the vertical tails.

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

This witch of the skies needs more than a 10000 foot runway...

That's, what I found strange too, Mark. But I still liked it and Thomas' effort to model it, so I gave it, historically very inaccurate, a civilian livery, with a slightly different cockpit 😃

This is, how the plane came out of the box:

1.jpg 

Then I gave it a slightly more modern Luftwaffe texture

2.jpg

And then I went on to give it a civilian touch

3.jpg

This included the flight deck

4.jpg

Here you can see the wheels coming off

5.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

Looking at it now, I should have deleted that cowboy scheme, it doesn’t really fit

18.jpg

• Like 3

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

On 6/1/2020 at 9:33 AM, MaDDogz said:

Was this plane actually able to make it to ''Amerika'' from Germany?

Did it have the range?,..seems like wishful thinking!

I Googled "Amerika Bomber" and yes, according to several articles, word not allowed wanted a bomber that had the range to fly to New York city from Germany, bomb the city and return to Germany.It was on the drawing board and it looks like three were produced, however, thankfully the war ended before mass production took place.

• Like 2

Bernd - love the modern Luftwaffe and the civilian schemes! Nice touch with the whitewall tyres! 😎 I think you're right in that the cowboy scene on the fins doesn't really fit in with the scheme.

Raymie - Yes, good job that mass production was never achieved. I believe the 264 was the only Amerika Bomber to have actually flown in one version or another.

Hang on to your tinfoil hats, conspiracy theorists - Germany may have been close to creating nukes near the end of WWII also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTdWAmORjyg

Did the pilot witness a nuclear explosion? We don't know for sure...

On a more serious note related to the present day: Would it be OK for me to post screenshots with my modified, more accurate (swastika) paint scheme? MY opinion? I personally have no problems with this; the emblem is linked to horrific events, a long time ago but that should not mean they should be blanked from the history books or even Alternate history for the years concerned. My country has no restrictions as far as historical,  artistic (no hate or extremism) use is concerned. AVSIM is an American forum, but we do have members from Germany (not sure if they can even have it on their screens) and indeed many others from all walks of life who would understandably have problems with the emblem. Thought I'd ask.

Mark Robinson

FWIW try not using flaps on takeoff, not sure if she accelerates to flying speed a little quicker!

Mark Robinson

I'm currently trying out a transatlantic flight from the Azores over to NY. The fuel burn seems to be OK as I've got less than half the distance left with more than half my fuel available 😉  I am saving the flight as a go along - this might be part of the problem, not sure.

However, there's some kind of problem with the weather acting strange. I managed to gradually climb up to 20000 feet, the oxygen was switched on, autopilot was fine, speed was good, yes there was a rather strong headwind - about 80 knots or so almost on the nose, but with a crosswind component. The next second I get violent wing rock then she goes into a spiral shallow dive. I disconnect the autopilot and I'm struggling with full aileron and rudder deflection to get her level and then gradually turn back on course, upon when she rolls the other way. I presume it would be like flying into a thunder cell, but no clouds were on screen... I use FSOpen Clouds for METAR injection with REX 4 w/ soft clouds.

Upon reloading the flight, I let the autopilot do it's thing. I've enough altitude to let her fall for a while, and it's not real....  She proceeds to carry out spiralling turns losing height, gaining height, overspeeding, and throughout this time (I let the plane do about 3 complete turns) appearing to be blown backwards - which I guess would happen given the headwind...

I did note that the wind direction was flickering as was the speed - I believe this is where FSX picks up conflicting adjacent METAR info, but FSUIPC is doing it's best to override the violent direction changes.

Any thoughts please?

I've had similar lack of control when flying the Piaggio P180 Avanti - a smaller plane which would get pushed around by the weather.

I have had the turbulence in FSX.cfg set to 0.8 for some time now, to be slightly more realistic rather than the exaggerated default value of 1.

Mark Robinson

Mark, I had similar issues with the aircraft. I once tried to handfly her from Barcelona to Gibraltar in P3D v3 with no wind, clear skies. About twenty minutes into the flight, I had huge problems to keep her stable. The steering was ultra sensitive. I then did the same flight again under the same conditions with the JF DC-4, no issues at all. I think there is something wrong with the Me 264's balance or flight tuning. 

• Like 1

I am currently trundling along at about 3000 feet above the Atlantic - as soon as i begin to venture close to 5000 feet the instability begins once more - yet she was flying fine at 20k feet at some point with 400 kmh IAS to make sure :) 

I'll keep having a go - the METARS change to whatever they currently are when I reload the saved flight as FSOpen Clouds doesn't do historic weather..

Thanks Bernd!

Mark Robinson