Sign in to follow this  
rich_cooke

GTN 750 Not Showing n Pop Up Window (resolved)

Hi!  I love the RXP GTN 750.  In fact I find it hard to fly without it.  I moved over from the F1 version because of ease of configuration and installation/updating of the RXP version. Ever since I bought it it has worked perfectly until today.  I always have one GTN 750 in a pop up window in the top left hand corner.  Then I drag and drop that into a small Lilliput touch screen usb monitor.  It has worked like a dream and is very immersive.  Today however I launched P3Dv5 and the 750 isn't showing.  RXP GTN is showing under add ons in the sim window drop down and the 750 appears under instrument panel as ticked but there is no sign of it.  I changed aircraft but the same thing happened so it would seem this is not a specific aircraft issue. I uninstalled/reinstalled a couple of times within the sim but it made no difference.  Hoping someone can help.  Below is the .ini file for the aircraft I was using.

GTN_750_1]
; is the master device if true.
MasterDevice = true 
; aviation db: 0: nav_db2_grm, 1: nav_db2, 2: nav_heli_db2_grmn, 3: nav_heli_db2
NavDbType = 1
VoicePref = MALE
; connects to: 'PFC_GTN' or any '#PID' (#D067 for PFC_GTN)
; no value connects to first found, 'OFF' disables connection.
HardwareDevice = 
; hardware selector number or -1 to disable.
HardwareIdx = -1

[GTN_750_1.DEFAULT]
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = false
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; display mouse tooltips if true.
tooltips = false
; enable mouse clickspots if true, disable if false.
usemouse = true 
; enable alternate click-spots (left CCW, right CW, middle Push) if true.
usealtmouse = false
; enable default 'hand' cursor over the touch screen (2D only).
usealtcursor = false
; enable touch beyond screen bounds if true (2D only), clip if false (GTN native).
extendtouch = true 
; auto-resize dimension (width,height)
refsize = 
; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window by ident (ex: GPS_PANEL or 225) (requires SHIFT+left mouse button).
popleft = 
; right mouse button on the screen toggles popup window by ident (ex: GPS_PANEL or 225).
popright = 
; adjust brightness (0 to 100)
brightness.bezel = 100
; offset brightness (-100 to +100)
brightness.screen = 0

Thanks

Rich Cooke

Edited by RXP

Hi,

Can you please post the content of the RXP log files? (see user's manual for file/path)

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi Jean-Luc,  Thanks for the reply.  I think these are the three files

rxpGTN.gau

20/05/29 16:12:51.152 04204 -    ] # rxpGTN.dll version 2.5.24.0
20/05/29 16:12:51.152 04204 INFO ] 
20/05/29 16:12:54.336 04204 WARN ] Autopilot not supported on this platform (vers: 5.0.24.34874)

rxpGTNSim.dll

20/05/29 16:12:53.595 04204 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.5.24.0
20/05/29 16:12:53.595 04204 INFO ] 
20/05/29 16:12:54.557 01020 INFO ] GTN 750.1 - TRAINER 6623
20/05/29 16:12:56.587 01020 WARN ] GTN 750.1 process is running as-admin

rxpGTN_menu.dll

20/05/29 16:11:37.469 10424 -    ] # rxpGTN_menu.dll version 2.5.24.0
20/05/29 16:11:37.470 10424 INFO ] edit panel: C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\SimObjects\Airplanes\Flight One BN-2 Islander\panel\panel.cfg
20/05/29 16:12:49.956 06264 INFO ] 
20/05/29 16:12:49.957 06264 INFO ] edit panel: C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\SimObjects\Airplanes\Flight One BN-2 Islander\panel\panel.cfg
20/05/29 16:21:51.654 12488 INFO ] 
20/05/29 16:21:51.655 12488 INFO ] edit panel: C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\SimObjects\Airplanes\Flight One BN-2 Islander\panel\panel.cfg

I should just mention the Garmin Trainer is working and I use a three monitor setup (plus a USB monitor) in case thats relevant.

Thanks for your help

Rich Cooke

56 minutes ago, rich_cooke said:

20/05/29 16:12:51.152 04204 -    ] # rxpGTN.dll version 2.5.24.0
20/05/29 16:12:54.336 04204 WARN ] Autopilot not supported on this platform (vers: 5.0.24.34874)

20/05/29 16:12:53.595 04204 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.5.24.0
20/05/29 16:12:56.587 01020 WARN ] GTN 750.1 process is running as-admin

First, you might want to use the latest RXP GTN version (2.5.25)

Second, why are you running P3D as-admin?

I recommend to never install nor run anything ‘as-admin’ and to avoid using or purchasing any product requiring you to, unless it is an ‘admin’ tool. There are many reasons for this, like the fact installing as-admin gives special credentials to the installer or the program which files and registry accesses get  ‘sandboxed’ and/or ‘redirected’ by Windows to different locations than when running as a normal user. This leads the installed program to pickup the wrong registry settings or files, or miserably fail once run as a normal user. This also prevents the program to sometimes just read the files/registry because of the Windows access rights preventing to do so.

Another more concerning reason is a bug in a program run as-admin could just wipe out your drive. I tend to illustrate this with: imagine a program deleting all its settings files in C:\MyProg\mySettings\*.* but because of a bug it ends up telling Windows to delete this: C:\*.* (which means delete all files in C:\

It has been more than 10 years Windows Vista introduced the more stringent ‘as-admin’ vs ‘normal user’ and any program today which support tells you to ‘run as-admin’ should be avoided like the plague. Most often people install their simulator in the default location, usually it ends up in C:\Program Files which is a protected folder and they tell customers to run as admin to grant ‘write’ permissions to modify the files. We do manage these cases in our products and our Panel Assistant is perfectly capable to edit the panel.cfg file even if the simulator is in the protected folder. It uses no hacks, just normal Windows programming.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

32 minutes ago, RXP said:

Second, why are you running P3D as-admin?

FYI

For several add-on developers this is a requirement. MCE and Ezdok spring to mind. It is also often mentioned to do this by developers when installing their applications. I've begun installing with admin permissions almost by reflex in the fear that the software will not work or install correctly if I did not.

Cheers,

howevr

@howevr @rich_cooke Yes I know this and this is why I'm mentioning "to avoid using or purchasing any product requiring you to, unless it is an ‘admin’ tool". You have to understand when running the simulator as-admin, Windows is redirecting some of the file and registry accesses (they are filtered and/or shimmed).

While permitting an add-on not specifically handling UAC limitations to running as-admin, you're also preventing legitimate add-ons from running properly. Think about this: the sim run as-admin, the addon saves a file. Next time you run not as-admin, the file can't be read anymore...

Vista was the first OS introducing UAC and this was more than 10 years ago. There are documented solutions to UAC and we're paying attention to this in order to ensure our customers won't have any issue whatsoever running as normal users.

Having said this, I'm not saying you're doing wrong, I'm just trying to help you making informed decisions (and this discussion will add to the 'searchable' pool of answers for future customers). The RXP GTN/GNS V2 runs fine whether running the simulator as normal or as-admin, but if something breaks, well, you know where to start looking first.

Edited by RXP