Sign in to follow this  
anden145

I'm done; and I'm out!

Just now, martin-w said:

Well yes, there are certainly forums around that are strictly moderated and less adversarial. What I'm saying is that Avsim appears to be no diferant than it's ever been to me. It's not the best for behaviour and not the worst. 

I guess I just dont see the decline in behaviour that some are reporting 

Thank you for bringing some perspective. I've been posting on & off on Avsim  since the very early 2000s. Avsim has indeed not changed much since then and if it had, it is for the better. I do not see the kind of nasty individuals who have been a scourge here in the early years before being banned. For instance, if the debates around the release of P3Dv5 were sometimes hot, I found them mostly well behaved when I remember the releases of yesteryear.

A forum is a place where people come to say their piece. It is by nature a little adversarial.  It is like a bar where you come to remake the world not a church where you commune. 

When I find somebody a nuisance, I put him on the ignore list and that's it.  

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Don't get too heavily involved in these forums, they are just a very small part of the many things I have to manage during my week, for me just a few minutes away from other things therefore no way it could consume my life. If things on a forum do consume you, you are probably spending too much time on here. 

Today I am on here with my morning coffee for about 5 minutes, and that will probably be all the time I have for this today. Good Luck everyone

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

Don't get too heavily involved in these forums, they are just a very small part of the many things I have to manage during my week, for me just a few minutes away from other things therefore no way it could consume my life. If things on a forum do consume you, you are probably spending too much time on here. 

Today I am on here with my morning coffee for about 5 minutes, and that will probably be all the time I have for this today. Good Luck everyone

But Matthew, two very sincere and well meaning questions.

1. Did you read the entire thread in 5 minutes?  I'm a fast reader, and I could not have done so in that short time frame, at least not in a contemplative manner.

2. If that is how you feel, why did you feel post in this thread?

Obviously I'm leading to a greater and well meaning point, which I feel sure you will help me make.  Anyway, looking forward to hearing back from you, and again I'm being very sincere.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

10 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

But Matthew, two very sincere and well meaning questions.

Obviously I'm leading to a greater and well meaning point, which I feel sure you will help me make.  Anyway, looking forward to hearing back from you, and again I'm being very sincere.

First of all thank you so much for your reply to my post....Secondly:

1. Did you read the entire thread in 5 minutes?  I'm a fast reader, and I could not have done so in that short time frame, at least not in a contemplative manner.

No I read it when it was first posted days ago, and followed it here and there as it developed, inspired by it I finally wanted to give my 2 cents worth

2. If that is how you feel, why did you feel post in this thread?

Because many times before I have felt this way as the OP. I've been involved in Flight Sim since I was 12 years old back in 1983, and also started with the online forums back with Compuserve GO FSFORUM (when that was a thing in early 90s). At times I've been consumed by this and at other times reduce it to something for fun on the side. Back in 2007 I did get rid of all computers in my life for 2 years and got back into Flight Sim with FSX in 2009 which was a great thing to do at that time, since then I've avoided this being consuming and more a balance in my life, which works fine

One thing for certain is through all the things in my life good times and bad since 1983 Flight Sim has been a constant, and will continue to be, at this point it is a balanced hobby for enjoyment, everything in moderation, that's what works for me. I can fully understand how this hobby can become a big part of our lives and we also need to take the time for other things. 

• Like 3

Matthew Kane

5 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I can fully understand how this hobby can become a big part of our lives and we also need to take the time for other things. 

Since this coronavirus thing has started simming has become a larger part of my day.  That plus watching old movies on TV in the evening and reading.  The only exercise I get anymore is 20 minutes on my stationary bike.  Until this virus thing is over what else is there to do when you're housebound?  I have a feeling that this may become a new normal for quite a while.

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

23 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

...It is like a bar where you come to remake the world not a church where you commune.

THIS!

Unlike a bar, we only have the typed word to interpret rather than the full visual and aural cues which take place when talking to someone face to face. Smileys help a little, but still it can be tricky. 😎

• Upvote 3

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

@HighBypass  Mark -  your signature contains the quote "Whats it doing now?"  and its very familiar to me but for the life of me I cant remember from where.  Please tell me.  A google search didnt help.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Dave - I "think" it came from the audio of an Airbus crew - not sure if there was a fatal crash, or the crew recovered the situation. In the sim it doesn't matter and thus in my world it is humorous. 😎

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

11 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Dave - I "think" it came from the audio of an Airbus crew - not sure if there was a fatal crash, or the crew recovered the situation. In the sim it doesn't matter and thus in my world it is humorous. 😎

Well.... "what's it doing now" is heard from the flight crew on most every Airbug flight!  Boeing, ever the competitor...

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I am bored with this thread 😫

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After 5 pages, me too..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I sometimes hang out on many forums related to my many hobbies, and was on Avsim before MFS was a windows application (DOS). I try to practice relatively safe and sane computing, no addresses, numbers, or real names; and am not on facebook nor twitter. Most of my friends, relatives, and associates would chuckle at the idea of posting there.

Forums yes, 'social media' no. Twitter is for shooting from the hip. For instance posting cliche 'memes' to express feelings, instead of taking the time and space to think and then post more considered and nuanced content. The message size allowed mostly relegates that platform to the trivial and the non weighty. Maybe Twitter should have an age and IQ limit: nobody over 15 years old or with an IQ above 80 should ever be allowed to tweet. In other words, reserved for foolishness.

Avsim forum itself, being perhaps an order of magnitude more classy than Reddit, is still a relatively nice online place, as I see it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Interesting post, however, it must be remembered that historically, flight simming comes from ACES Gaming Studio & was marketed as a game. Cliche memes are actually great fun. Avsim being an order of magnitude more classy than Reddit? I think that you must have missed many posts contradicting that statement.

As far as social media goes.. I'm actually all for it. I belong to quite a few Facebook pages. Apart from family pages, I also belong to interest group, business & marketing pages, as well as various flight simulation & Microsoft pages as well. As far as Twitter goes, Great stuff for sharing interesting facts & even some fun  content. There are also some trivial content that is obviously could be of interest. By the way, 10's of thousands use Twitter for business as well. 

The beauty of modern technology is speed. If I wanted to take time and space to think and then post more considered and nuanced content, I would resort to pen & paper, & also, the limited message size does make one think on how to provide weighty, or even, dare I say it, light weight content within a small package.

WE have never had the opportunity to have such instant messaging, The days of pen & paper are long gone, & we must embrace the present & choose what & how & where we chat.  Censoring or putting age limits is obviously counter to free speech. If you don't like it, don't go there! 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

5 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Censoring or putting age limits is obviously counter to free speech. If you don't like it, don't go there! 

Caution, low flying jokes overhead. 

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yikes, what a read! Many valid points, and some taken with a grain of salt. It has always been my way of thought that highly negative posts in forums originate from individuals that are not happy in life, much deeper than a hobby. While the current world situation certainly accentuates opinions and feelings, one should vent, save the content, return and edit the content and then post to a level that equates to constructive criticism. We all know that highly inflammatory remarks have no place in any forum, and these are in the minority like the vast majority of forums worldwide. 

Edited by Doering
  • Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K