Sign in to follow this  
Pilot_76

AI traffic backup

Hello all,

I need some help on FS2004. I have decided to install it again simply because it runs smoothly even on today's lower spec PCs. FSX was very good but it requires a huge amount of horse power to run it like FS2004 and Prepare3D series has helped just a bit but not enough for me to actually fly it the way I did in FS2004. X-Plane was a good bet but I did not like one issue: lack of splendid AI traffic. If I remember you are only allowed no more than 20 planes instead of 50+ in FS2004. Also, there are no traffic add-ons to add, customize AI traffic to your needs.
    With all that in mind the idea of reinstalling FS2004 has come up but one thing has bothered me: how do I back up all my AI traffic/Scenery/AFCAD files etc? I mean it is a lot of work just to find, install and customize your AI traffic but then for some reason you need to format 😄 and install Windows all over again. Is there a way to just backup a folder and copy it back to a freshly installed FS2004 without going to the process of installing one by one (it would take weeks in my case). I am more concerned about AI traffic rather add-ons because these HAVE to be installed. I believe AI traffic a simple "Copy folder x to y" should do it and FS2004 would just compile the new traffic once and that's it.

Hi There,

Oh the dreaded reinstall. I have done 2.

If I am reading this correctly, you're moving from FSX/Prepared3d to FS2004? If that's the case, I believe only the flightplans will be able to be moved over. Probably will have to be run through AIFP once.

I am pretty sure most models for FSX will not work in FS9, most were converted by AIG to work.

Same with Afcad's or scenery's. There are ways to convert, but by the time that's done, you could have installed 5 fresh Afcad's. 

I may be completely wrong on all of these points, so if you take them with a grain of salt, no harm no foul. I am still on FSS2004 myself, and have not even dabbled with anything else. It's set and runs exactly how I want it. Good luck and happy flying!

Edited by trioer

Hi trioer sorry I made myself not clear. I am not moving to fsx or prepar3d. FS2004 only. I need to know how to back up AI traffic. It's been many years since I have installed fs2004 so I do not remember its inner workings (file structure, file types etc). I am afraid of installing hundreds if not thousands of AI traffic aircraft and then will have to reinstall all again for some reason. Just need to know if a simple copy and paste then fs2004 will recognize and accept as AI traffic.

I remember there are paid AI traffic packages which a simple install.exe will do the job. My concern is those separate AI traffic that will have to be installed separately. Imagine yourself with a gazillion AI traffic aircraft installed in your fs2004 folder then suddenly you need to reinstall Windows and everything. Including FS2004 itself. I need to know for these AI traffic (not payware with an install package) if a simple back up in an external hd will do the job.  

I got ya now sir.

I don't have to imagine a gazillion things installed, all manually, and then have to reinstall, it happened last year when my PC crapped our and I had to buy a new one haha.

I bought an external hd holder thingy from amazon and took the hd from the crashed computer and hooked it via usb to new PC. Worked like a charm. Then, when needed, I could move things from the old install to the fresh. 

As for freeware traffic packages, World Of Ai is your best bet, though these are out of date in terms of schedule. I use AIFP myself. Granted, its each individual airline, but all repaints that are available and official, can be downloaded and installed with 1 click. It also can bulk delete unused paints, show errors, and the biggest for me, tell me if I have enough parking at each airport. I can't stress how important that is to my sim setup.

Hope this helps your new setup! Feel free to ask anymore questions if need be.

Edited by trioer

ok, I am assuming that a simple copy and paste will do the job. Will also try the AIFP. Thanks again.