Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Cant believe this

The only required improvements in my opinion:

- Consider SID/STAR

- Speed restrictions

- No guide into terrain (Mountains...)

- No flying in zick-zack courses but a straight line or according procedure to IAF etc.

Nice to have: Different frequencies for Tower, Approach, etc.

Then its perfect for the hobby home simmer who does prefer Singleplayer... 🙂

Edited by Paladin2005
  • Upvote 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

I accept that we shouldn't expect perfect ATC, but in addition to Paladin2005's list I'd add correct FAA and ICAO terminology (separate depending on location, not a mix of both), and InHg vs hPa in different areas of the world.

• Like 1

Ian Box

3 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

The voices sounded a lot better than FSX/P3D to me *shrug*

Yeah well... the problem with the prerecorded stuff obviously is that sometimes it doesn't fit together well. I also don't have that much of a problem with the TTS approach this time around. Especially as it is more flexible.

More importantly I will disobey my own rule and get on ASOBOs nerves for... no vector into mountain, mounty, mounty, mountain... pleazy please! 🙂

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

2 hours ago, Ian Box said:

I accept that we shouldn't expect perfect ATC, but in addition to Paladin2005's list I'd add correct FAA and ICAO terminology (separate depending on location, not a mix of both), and InHg vs hPa in different areas of the world.

Not to forget the use of "point" and "decimal" depending on location. 😏

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

I don't like the new atc window, very obstructive and distracting with its opaque bright colours and giant text. FSX gentle translucent atc window was much better.

It seems like the AI traffic system is going to be more or less the same too, hope at least they fix the blunders and include some easy to implement improvements.

It is understandable they don't want to go into depths of it since its going to massively increase in complexity, and hard to manage and breakdown easily, but make the simple stuff bug free and optimized at least.

In best case scenario hooks will be made available in SDK so that AI/ATC system can respond to and work in tandem with third party ATC management addons.

After all that's been said and done, one  issue still baffles my mind...I mean there obviously is no doubt that they have the advanced technology and resources...this has been proven over and over again with what they have shown in their previous discovery series videos and we can also see it in the testers screenshots that without a doubt this new sim really is going to be "As real as it gets".

Which makes me to conclude that if the technology is available then it is possible to deliver realistic atc...right?...

So obviously they made a conscious choice not to use their technology and resources to put into atc because seemingly it was not a priority to them.  And there is no one that can tell me that it is impossible for them...if you would had tell me that 16 years ago I would have believe it...but not now.

If they could pull off to deliver such incredible realism with scenery and weather and airports and a lot of other things...then easily so they could have done in the atc department...sadly enough it was not on their top list of priorities.  And for those people saying that this is only alpha stage and that atc might improve on final release...well..take my word for it...this is how atc will be on final relaese, trust me...what you see is what you will get.  And for those people who say that the new atc is wonderful...well, either they are on drugs or clearly could care less about atc all together.   Even a five year old can tell that those voices sound like a malfunctioning robot at best.  And don't get me wrong...this is not a rant, its just that in this day an age with all the available technology you would expect way better.  I mean in all honesty MSFS 2020 is starting to look like a nice and well done piece of juicy steak on the outside...but once you cut it with a knife...the inside is still very raw!..which means that at the moment we are judging this book only by its cover.

On the flip side...I guess the rest of the sim looks pretty dam good which is going to have to make up for the lack of descent atc.  Lets also hope that in the future third party developers will address this issue.

Kind of ironic though...the sim looks so good by default that there virtually is no need for third party addons...except of course. atc!  

I mean at the very least what they could have implemented is voice recognition..common Microsoft/Asobo...if you're reading this...please guys make the atc sound at least a bit more credible...

xxeBd4P.jpg

Thanks.

Yours truly;

Mr. Rant.NMuhvK5.png

On 5/31/2020 at 12:21 AM, PWJT8D said:

I ATC myself. Don't care if that plane is on the runway. My crash detection is turned off. I'll go right through it on my terms, don't need anybody telling me what I can and can't do!  😆

I sincerely hope you're not a pilot 😅

35 minutes ago, FAZZ3 said:

I sincerely hope you're not a pilot 😅

Lol.. it's not real, only a game..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

On 5/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, fogboundturtle said:

it's an alpha people. How many times do we have to say this. not everything is implemented yet.

Don't know, I guess you're gonna keep telling us until one day before beta. Or to put it differently, do you really expect some magic major feature change to happen at this *alpha* stage we're at?

On 5/30/2020 at 10:04 PM, threegreen said:

I'm sure there is more to MSFS ATC than we saw here.

And what makes you so sure? Because I'm pretty sure we've seen what's there.

16 hours ago, Captain747 said:

You know what, I like that seat cover. 😂

Edited by badderjet
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain747 said:

After all that's been said and done, one  issue still baffles my mind...I mean there obviously is no doubt that they have the advanced technology and resources...thi 

Which makes me to conclude that if the technology is available then it is possible to deliver realistic atc...right?...

So obviously they made a conscious choice not to use their technology and resources to put into atc because seemingly it was not a priority to them.   

Your plea for a super ATC is something we can share  but do not overlook  that :

- the FS20 team is working to build from scratch a whole new simulator.  I'd say that the core comes first : air dynamics and weather, flight modeling, decent sceneries. Just these are a huge undertaking and all the more so that they seem passionate about doing everything right. ATC is important but after all you can fly  realistically without it. I do that all the time when I leave a   regional airport to serve even smaller airfields in the boondocks.  Admittedly I am not an airliner simpilot.

- The simulation of Air Traffic Control is  a very difficult endeavour. Artificial intelligence will allow amazing things in this department but to unlock the potential there is a need for a lot of work and intelligence (aka investment, money). I'd go as far to say that it is as massive an undertaking as the sim itself.

Asobo has chosen to  improve the existing ATC. We saw some nice things (SID/STAR, speed restrictions), and I hope the approach vectoring  will  also be better than in the old ATC and that voice recognition will be implemented. But overall Asobo's approach (pun non intended)  makes sense even if it comes short of the ideal. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Having SIDS and STARS is a massive leap forward. I think the ATC is miles ahead of what we have now judging from the video, as some have pointed out, this is still an alpha! The Microsoft/ASBO team have also mentioned a long term commitment to the sim which presumably means constant updates and new features even on release. 

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

I think it makes sense that they use their TTS voice technology as there‘s a lot of potential (AI learning, easy to add stuff etc.) but I have to admit that I‘m a bit disappointed by how ATC sounds atm. The TTC samples on the Azure website sound much more natural. But I‘m sure it can be improved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

44 minutes ago, rocketlaunch said:

as some have pointed out, this is still an alpha!

And? For how much longer, do you think?

The Microsoft/ASBO team have also mentioned a long term commitment to the sim which presumably means constant updates and new features even on release. 

That's the only hope I have.

It will be an alpha until Asobo says so. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.