Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Cant believe this

7 hours ago, badderjet said:

A clearance mainly consists of a SID and a squawk

Well, for MSFS, yes, but I'm sure you well know in reality, no...I mean, SIDs aren't published for all airports. All published SIDs aren't applicable to all aircraft types. I operate out of an GA airport under a class B shelf. Most of the GA airports around here do have multiple SIDs. GA pistons generally are assigned a SID that includes radar vectors to an initial fix or segment appropriate for the direction of the route. At my home airport that particular SID includes a specific heading and altitude restriction to fly on departure that is not runway heading. I get that heading as part of the clearance even though it is published on the SID.  I'm interested to see if MSFS ATC gives that initial heading as part of the clearance or if you just get "cleared as filed".

Within 50 miles, though, there are a bunch GA airports that don't have any SIDs or obstacle departure procedures published. Sometimes clearance will give me a heading to fly, sometimes just an initial altitude. I'm guessing that will always be "cleared as filed" from MSFS ATC.

Either way, I fully expect to always hear "cleared as filed" all the time....but it would be cool every once in a while to hear "N1234, full route clearance available, advise when ready to copy" 😲

Edited by snglecoil

Chris

I'm quite surprised reading people not being happy with the ATC presented. It improves what FSX offered, and it's way better than X-Plane11 ATC. On top of that, it handles the Live and AI traffic to react to the pilot's actions. Can you imagine the amount of work needed to make this thing work smoothly? Asobo, well done! As a first iteration on the ATC system, I'm really excited about what you guys did.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Beru said:

I'm quite surprised reading people not being happy with the ATC presented. It improves what FSX offered, and it's way better than X-Plane11 ATC. On top of that, it handles the Live and AI traffic to react to the pilot's actions. Can you imagine the amount of work needed to make this thing work smoothly? Asobo, well done! As a first iteration on the ATC system, I'm really excited about what you guys did.

People will always gripe about something, I guess it's also a way, if Microsoft reads this board, to get them to improve before release.

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

4 minutes ago, canadiantree said:

People will always gripe about something, I guess it's also a way, if Microsoft reads this board, to get them to improve before release.

Indeed, 6 pages of ATC griping. Remember that ASOBO does not ONLY refer to Avsim for advice!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

They are the same flight sim enthusiasts as we are. I blindly trust them to deliver a good product in all aspects.

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

It's something that will be played on a game console, &, after 6 pages of griping about an Alpha release, you dont think that the ATC horse has been flogged far too many times? 

Remember, what we saw was snippits from an Alpha product, whe do not know which Alpha version. There are still going to be a couple of updates, then it goes to Beta, a few versions & updates there, then to Release Candidate. Obviously, ASOBO has it's own research team & other forums to look at, NOT only Avsim. 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

4 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Indeed, 6 pages of ATC griping. Remember that ASOBO does not ONLY refer to Avsim for advice!

There is some griping, but it is not ALL griping. There are a lot of legitimate questions being asked and some good constructive feedback being given.

We know that Asobo is looking at these forums. Especially those that aren’t participating in the alpha, this is a chance to voice concerns and potentially influence change.

You want to sit around and wait for the crumbs that fall from the master’s table, that’s your choice. I’m going to try to pull up a chair and enjoy the whole meal. 

Edited by snglecoil
  • Upvote 3

Chris

Maybe we should not judge the whole meal, when we have only seen some of the ingredients? 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

51 minutes ago, Beru said:

Good point

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

Discord Username: CaptMatto#7935

17 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Maybe we should not judge the whole meal, when we have only seen some of the ingredients? 

They are a professional game studio. I'm sure they know how to deal with whatever is being discussed about the product here whether it's valid criticism or something else.

Hopefully there are much better programming hooks to track and control both AI and user aircraft, then we'll see some really nice ATC addons. I also hope the AI flight planning is much more sophisticated and an ATC addon can ingest AI flightplans and do some sophisticated scheduling and control. I'll be impressed if I try to to clear my flight plan and find ATC gives me changes back in order to cope with other traffic, or if I have to adjust speed or even hold. This would add a whole new dimension of interest to flying in the sim.

From the IFR video it looks like what we get is incremental improvements over FSX ATC, which should be good enough for default. Heck I doubt most users know how to fully take advantage of FSX ATC such as knowing how to circle-to-land or even to fly published approach/transition or do a published missed approach.

Edited by fs4fun

Barry Friedman

I don't bother with missed approaches. If there is an AI plane ahead of me, I just flash my lights to let him know he needs to get out of the way!!

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I don't bother with missed approaches. If there is an AI plane ahead of me, I just flash my lights to let him know he needs to get out of the way!!

Fair enough, there would be less of that if ATC actually did a better job of controlling traffic. I think it does a better job controlling on the ground than in the air.

What's worse is being on final and literally being run over in the air by faster AI. Will be interesting to see how much of this is fixed in MSFS

Barry Friedman

7 hours ago, Beru said:

On top of that, it handles the Live and AI traffic to react to the pilot's actions.

Does it though? Where did they say that?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 5/31/2020 at 10:12 AM, Captain747 said:

I mean at the very least what they could have implemented is voice recognition.

Makes little difference if they implemented or not, realistic ATC is so beyond what is currently possible. I fly IFR in GA and all this computer generated stuff is ludicrous. If I wanted to train for my IFR ticket the only thing recommended to me was PilotEdge, you get real controller and phraseology is correct and you know you aren't talking to a computer and I can fly out of D-class airports. Maybe one day you can create an AI-ATC that will be so good that you can't tell the difference if you are talking to a computer or human being but we are still far away from that day. Perhaps soon they can fool you with good generated voices and/or voice recognition but you will immediately tell this ain't anything like real ATC. So yeah, for those who are really serious about their ATC there are very good alternatives available, today.

Edited by michal