Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

FS2020 - More Leaks, Plus Expectations Too High?

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

I would just note for the record that the more than 98,542 viewers of the video, as of this post, including myself, apparently disagree with you as to the utility of the content, though I do note there are 195 dislikes, so there is that.

The number of views are irrelevant. Thats a terrible statistic to disprove my opinion. 

One of those views is mine. I watched it In It's entirety and still found literally nothing of substance in that video that hasn't already been shown or discussed.

Edited by ahsmatt7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

8 hours ago, FAZZ3 said:

I don't get the hate. It's just regurgitated information from discussions in AVSIM to update people who aren't on this forum or for the average Joe who can't be bothered with keeping up on the latest discussions on forums in general. It's also a good way for new simmers or people who are interested in picking up flight-simming as a new genre to enjoy who aren't entirely acquainted with the way the flight sim community and development runs.

Then why post this link at avsim where all this information is already posted? 

That's a fair viewpoint on regards to someone who has no idea what avsim is. 

Edited by ahsmatt7
  • Like 1

Matt kubanda

18 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

The number of views are irrelevant. Thats a terrible statistic to disprove my opinion. 

One of those views is mine. I watched it In It's entirety and still found literally nothing of substance in that video that hasn't already been shown or discussed.

Correction: You believe the number of views is irrelevant, and I disagree. The simple fact is that if the Youtuber in question was not providing content that people enjoyed, then he simply would not be so popular. Thats simple logic. Its whether you personally approve of the choice of those people to watch him, that's irrelevant.

Yes, one of the views was yours, whereupon you are/were given an open opportunity to join your voice to the nearly 200 people who disapproved, as opposed to to the 1.5K and growing who approved.

As to things already shown and discussed..... I would submit that about 80 percent of the content on this forum, especially regarding FS2020, is regurgitated and not of very much substance, yet we persist, day after day, year after year. If you find such things disturbing, why are you here?

24 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Because there are all sorts of people here, with all levels of knowledge, interest and levels of engagement. Not just you and like-minded folks. If this is truly an issue, one could always issue a general call for everyone else to leave.

I would bring it up with the Mods.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Correction: You believe the number of views is irrelevant, and I disagree. The simple fact is that if the Youtuber in question was not providing content that people enjoyed, then he simply would not be so popular. Thats simple logic. Its whether you personally approve of the choice of those people to watch him, that's irrelevant.

Yes, one of the views was yours, whereupon you are/were given an open opportunity to join your voice to the nearly 200 people who disapproved, as opposed to to the 1.5K and growing who approved.

As to things already shown and discussed..... I would submit that about 80 percent of the content on this forum, especially regarding FS2020, is regurgitated and not of very much substance, yet we persist, day after day, year after year. If you find such things disturbing, why are you here?

Because there are all sorts of people here, with all levels of knowledge, interest and levels of engagement. Not just you and like-minded folks. If this is truly an issue, one could always issue a general call for everyone else to leave.

I would bring it up with the Mods.

How in the world do you know the opinions and feelings of all the other viewers. You are placing a huge confirmation bias on those stats you mentioned and trying to justify your beliefs with some random stat. Those views stats only measure one thing. Views. It doesn't measure the outcome of someone opinion. It also proves my point and somone elses point that people will do need anything to get their view count up. 

Basing your entire argument on one stat like that is along to a hockey coach saying we should have won the game because we had more shots on goal. Or a baseball coach saying that as long as a team has more hits, then they are going to always win the game. Both statements are false.

Another hypothetical for you. What if msfs 2020 grosses more sales than xplane 11 and p3d combined. Then however, it totally sucks. The opinion that it sucks over a short time period is shared by many many many people.

Would you then say that it was the best sim of all current time only based off of the gross sales number? 

Your logic is flawed and quite honestly, you seem a bit butt hurt that the first post in your thread criticized a video which you posted. My post was not directed at you at all not did it imply that you wasted my time or anyone elses. I stated my opinion....that is all. Don't take things so personally.

To answer some go your questions.

Why am I on avsim? This is where I get my up to date info regarding a hobby that I have been a part of for the last 22 years. It's really the best one stop shop for it. Secondly, I would wager that even though there are people here with different levels of experience within the community, I find it hard to believe that anyone who's frequents here, would not have the ability to get the same information as in the video. 

Thirdly, I agree with you on the fact that the same word not allowed is being regurgitated on here as well. It's kinda pointless and seriously inefficient. 

Another that perplexes me and a trend I see from a lot of your post is that because my view may be the "minority," you seem to imply that it's not important and therefore I should keep my mouth shut.

Should I not speak because my views differ from yours? 

Or do my views offend you because they are different then yours?

I only ask because you have essentially used some stats to heavily imply that I am somehow wrong in my opinion and therefore I should keep my mouth shut.

Guess what though, people have differing viewpoints from yours. With that said, get over it and once again....it's nothing personal.

Edited by ahsmatt7

Matt kubanda

4 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

How in the world do you know the opinions and feelings of all the other viewers. You are placing a huge confirmation bias on those stats you mentioned and trying to justify your beliefs with some random stat. Those views stats only measure one thing. Views. It doesn't measure the outcome of someone opinion. It also proves my point and somone elses point that people will do need anything to get their view count up. 

Let's apply some logic, and some more "random stats" (That actually aren't random at all, since they're official numbers used by Youtube itself to decide the mans pay)

1. Obsidianant is currently listed as having 189K subscribers. (who likely did not all hit the subscribe button by random chance)
  2. In less than 3 days, his video achieved more than 100,000 views, which also does not happen randomly.
  3. Its apparent from the rapidity with which those numbers were attained, that many of those views likely were repeat visitors, as his other FS2020 related videos all obtained similar numbers.
  4. This is in fact par for the course for him, as his average video can get up to half a million views, on a regular basis.
  5. That being the case, it's not hard to see Obsidianant as a popular Youtuber with a wide following, which also doesn't happen randomly, or as a result of clickbait, since, simply enough, if his content was misleading, or held no interest, his reputation would suffer to the point that viewers would simply leave.
  6. The exact opposite is the case, as his reputation is excellent, and his numbers of viewers have steadily grown.
  7. If you were a member of the Obsidianant Discord (which I am) you would also find official corporate representatives from a number of developers, a fact which also reflects his popularity and acknowledges his influence.
  8. They apparently find his "random stats" significant, even if you do not.

Further: All the random (to me) ranting about people who do anything for views, hockey etc, sounds like a personal thing, and I have zero interest. Perhaps you should start a thread about it, instead of derailing existing threads?

I would wager that even though there are people here with different levels of experience within the community, I find it hard to believe that anyone who's frequents here, would not have the ability to get the same information as in the video. 

Except...... I'm here, and enjoyed the video and his take on the matter, and other people have also mentioned having no problem with it, notwithstanding whether you personally find that hard to believe. You lose that wager pretty much instantly. Its something I see a lot here. People assuming that everyone else of course thinks just like them on X subject, because...... well, no reason, actually. Thats the real, confirmation bias.

Another that perplexes me and a trend I see from a lot of your post is that because my view may be the "minority," you seem to imply that it's not important and therefore I should keep my mouth shut.

6 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

You see no paradox? I responded in kind. *Shrugs*

Guess what though, people have differing viewpoints from yours. With that said, get over it and once again....it's nothing personal.

Different viewpoints? You mean like my viewing this video as worthwhile for posting, while you dont?

You did not respect my right to post, based on your differing viewpoint. In fact you felt strongly enough about it to actually mock the post and now derail the thread.

Yet you speak of respect for different viewpoints?

Physician, heal thyself.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

What counts as a "view"? Is it simply clicking on the > button and letting a few frames play before stopping the playback and leaving the site?

Or, does it require that one watch it's entirety?

I scanned through rather quickly stopping at each soundscape briefly. I neither voted up or down since honestly I wasn't all that sussed about it.

"Meh." indeed... :wink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

48 minutes ago, n4gix said:

What counts as a "view"? Is it simply clicking on the > button and letting a few frames play before stopping the playback and leaving the site?

I scanned through rather quickly stopping at each soundscape briefly. I neither voted up or down since honestly I wasn't all that sussed about it.

Watching any of it is a view.

98K views for that video is very high and a sign that the interest in MSFS is there.

18 hours ago, tweekz said:

In times of viral marketing that might be a possibility

It really isn't.

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

Even a few seconds counts as a view. The amount of time each viewer watches shows up on your personal stats if you have a channel, and not watching a video to completion is an indicator that your content isn't up to snuff.

In an age of short attention spans and people looking for constant stimulation, it's actually pretty hard to make a video that holds a viewers attention throughout its run.

For that reason, an average vid is only about 4 minutes, and 10 minutes is probably stretching it. I'm always pleased when I see a viewer watched the whole thing.

Edit: In fact, I learned from that to keep my posts short as well, and I always cringe if forced to go more than a few paragraphs, as I know people are less and less likely to read, the longer I yammer. (unless the post is very interesting)

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

Devons rig

When you think about it probably < 3% of the AVSIM forum posts contain information of any value for any one simmer..  I wish there was an easy filter to apply - just think of all the wasted time we could save.  🙂

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Upvote 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

12 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

When you think about it probably < 3% of the AVSIM forum posts contain information of any value for any one simmer..  I wish there was an easy filter to apply - just think of all the wasted time we could save.  🙂

Cheers

bs

I can't say you are wrong but I can't say you are right either .

Statistically right but Avsim's vocation is not to be only a repository of infos and good practices. It is also a place to shoot the breeze between people sharing the same hobby 😋

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam