Sign in to follow this  
dr_roshan

Temp Black square on approach

I run fsx with orbx and many other addons like as16, rex sky force, project fly, ...

Sometimes i get black squares on approach only for couple of seconds as the airport and area around it being loaded even with stock airports. 

Any idea what that might be although i dont get them while starting a flight even with using pmdg and mega scenery.

I also noticed my scenery library order is not matching the scenery cfg and also the scenery indexes number at the end are a bit messed up in terms or sequence

dont know if this has to do with the problem.

Need your advices.

Roshan 

I've moved this to the correct forum.

It's probably the textures from AI acft and/or lights (e.g. PAPI/VASI) loading.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Bob,

my AI slider is all down, i dont use any AI stock or addon as mostly i fly online.

lights are fine am using ORBX. Its just loading the airport scenery or around the airport goes to black or dif color sometimes for few seconds then back to normal. 

my worry is thats gonna cause me our of memory issue maybe which is frustrating after flying long hours. I mostly do long hauls.

As I recall, it was just one of those things you learned to live with in FSX.  I don't think it's related to OOM errors.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I too occasionally encounter fleeting black textures, like you describe, in FSX from time to time and they don’t appear to be linked to significantly increased VAS usage which I routinely monitor. I don’t thing they are related to your scenery cfg and are more likely to be related to textures loading, as suggested by Bob. If you are concerned about VAS hitting the 4GB FSX limitation and causing an OOM it is useful to monitor it using FSUIPC or one of the other utilities which allow this. This enables you to save your long haul flight if necessary before you hear the dreaded OOM warning.

Bill

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scianoir said:

I too occasionally encounter fleeting black textures, like you describe, in FSX from time to time and they don’t appear to be linked to significantly increased VAS usage which I routinely monitor. I don’t thing they are related to your scenery cfg and are more likely to be related to textures loading, as suggested by Bob. If you are concerned about VAS hitting the 4GB FSX limitation and causing an OOM it is useful to monitor it using FSUIPC or one of the other utilities which allow this. This enables you to save your long haul flight if necessary before you hear the dreaded OOM warning.

Bill

Much appreciated i guess gotta live with it

10 hours ago, w6kd said:

As I recall, it was just one of those things you learned to live with in FSX.  I don't think it's related to OOM errors.

Thank you, will monitor it and see how it goes.

16 hours ago, scianoir said:

Bill

Hi Bill,

thank you for your time, am tempted to use ORBX central to change the order of ORBX products to be under the 3rd party airports and free airport addons.

currently it sits right on top of the priority, do you think that is the problem and this could fix it?

once again thanks a lot for your input.

Roshan 

Hi Roshan,

My ORBX products are all grouped below all my other airport and scenery addons (Payware and freeware) and above the default entries as I think that is where I read they were meant to be when I first installed my ORBX library using FTX Central.

I would be surprised however if that was the cause of the issue but it is worth a try I guess!

Bill

2 hours ago, scianoir said:

Hi Roshan,

My ORBX products are all grouped below all my other airport and scenery addons (Payware and freeware) and above the default entries as I think that is where I read they were meant to be when I first installed my ORBX library using FTX Central.

I would be surprised however if that was the cause of the issue but it is worth a try I guess!

Bill

Hi Bill,

I noticed my scenery library order within the fsx interface is not matching the scenery cfg file.

The cfg file is nor registering the priority when i set in within fsx scenery library.

is that a problem and would cause this loading issue?

Roshan

Until the correct texture is loaded, FSX will display a black square for that texture.  Lights are infamous in FSX for being a black square before their texture is loaded.  Slow loading of textures is usually an indicator that the CPU is busy with other tasks and cannot process data fast enough for a seamless sim experience.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, stans said:

Until the correct texture is loaded, FSX will display a black square for that texture.  Lights are infamous in FSX for being a black square before their texture is loaded.  Slow loading of textures is usually an indicator that the CPU is busy with other tasks and cannot process data fast enough for a seamless sim experience.

Will that effect on memory and i will get out of memory? 

Also I noticed my scenery library order within the fsx interface is not matching the scenery cfg file.

The cfg file is nor registering the priority when i set in within fsx scenery library.

Roshan

2 minutes ago, dr_roshan said:

Will that effect on memory and i will get out of memory? 

Also I noticed my scenery library order within the fsx interface is not matching the scenery cfg file.

Hi Roshan,

I don't think slow loading of textures would cause OOM issues although loading lots of different textures can use up memory which is why photoreal scenery with its continuously changing ground images (textures) can, after flying over it a while, lead to an OOM warning. Also I would be surprised if your scenery cfg is the cause of slow texture loading although I am open to correction on this.

The rate at which textures load will probably depend on the power of your graphics card as well as your system as a whole. I have what could be described today as a mid range graphics card on a mid range PC and, as I said previously, I very occasionally see these fleeting black textures for a couple of seconds but I try to ignore them!

Bill

4 hours ago, scianoir said:

Hi Roshan,

I don't think slow loading of textures would cause OOM issues although loading lots of different textures can use up memory which is why photoreal scenery with its continuously changing ground images (textures) can, after flying over it a while, lead to an OOM warning. Also I would be surprised if your scenery cfg is the cause of slow texture loading although I am open to correction on this.

The rate at which textures load will probably depend on the power of your graphics card as well as your system as a whole. I have what could be described today as a mid range graphics card on a mid range PC and, as I said previously, I very occasionally see these fleeting black textures for a couple of seconds but I try to ignore them!

Bill

Hi Bill,

Do you think i should reorder Scenery cfg to match FSX scenery library or leave it as is.

Roshan

Hi Roshan, 

It’s a little unusual that the order of your scenery.cfg does not match the order you see in the scenery library. Just to confirm you are looking at the main scenery.cfg file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX ? There is also a scenery.cfg file in the FSX root folder which is some sort of backup cfg

Bill