Sign in to follow this  
rhalunen

Insomniac Computer?

Computer keeping you up at night? Won't go to sleep? Maybe it's time to try Microsoft Zzzzz, the new App guaranteed to put you into powered down peaceful slumber.

OK, now that I've got your attention how about the real solution:

How to enable and disable fast startup on Windows 10.

• Right-click the Start button.
  • Click Search .
  • Type Control Panel and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  • Click Power Options .
  • Click Choose what the power buttons do .
  • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable .
  • Click Turn on fast startup (recommended) so that the check mark disappears.
  • Click Save changes. 

I embarrassed to say I don't recall exactly when all this started but with two Beta Flight Sims and Windows 10 Beta 2004 it just became part of the mix. I just figured it would all settle out. Once I realized it wasn't going to heal on it's own it became a real annoyance especially since I'm an I/T Professional and do this for a living. So, I dug like a terrier going after a subterranean rodent tracing down every possible solution, and some you haven't even heard about. Nada. I'm a systems guy that looks at structure and architecture, not Features. Light bulb moment...

Fast Startup was the culprit. With the simple tick of a checkbox I accomplished what I had invested many hours of fruitless toil had not. Sometime I think I must be two people because no one person could be this dumb.

Sleep well America, Microsoft is solving all the worlds problems and if you file your bug report today we'll be sure to get right on it just after the next release.

Roger

Thanks, Roger!
Super tip!

• Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

there is also a free program called "DontSleep". Oddly enough, I have been using it to make mine sleep. No matter what USB settings I mess with, they stay powered and will not let comp. fully sleep. Monitor is only thing that sleeps. Author keeps DontSleep running with ongoing updates. Has a ton of other programs also.

I probably could disable fastboot, but I like being able to tell the comp. to DontSleep. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's