Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

The magic recipe to tame P3D v5 : zero crash certified!

6 hours ago, micstatic said:

Do you run 4k?  I'm just wondering if setting the texture that low (1024) is something that makes the quality poor.  

Look at my vids. 1024 textures look great on 55” 4K  and 2x 43” ( NVSurround) 4 K...

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Anything you hear about P3Dv5 HF2 ? 

Because  all the developers lurked in anticipation.

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

i don't think a zoomed out picture like those however is where you actually see the difference in the texture size.  It's looking at small detail when zoomed in.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/49926305537/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/49926006441/in/dateposted-public/

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

55 minutes ago, DJJose said:

My 2600K still kicks you know what.

I kept my i5 2500k for a very long time, until I finally upgraded to my current i7 7700k.  That chip took an overclock like a champ.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Perhaps the post on this thread should be on LM forum with HF2 not far away, I was reading PMDG are holding up the 737 and 777 V5 till after the next update MK working on Lisbon, Devs don't want to have to patch again as I understand a change to the lighting in HF2 may affect this.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Thanks for the update Rob.

I decided not to be an early adopted this time and am grateful for everybody else doing the hard yards with troubleshooting. I've done a clean reinstall of Windows (just waiting for the 2004 update to hit) and will wait until HF2 is out before installing V5.

It does seem that a number of addon on developers are waiting in the wings to see how HF2 plays out before releasing their products - hopefully its not too far away! Rob over at LM said "within a couple of weeks" back on the 20th..... So he's got four more days 🙂 🙂 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Rob

Will LM ask for a complete reinstall again for v5 h2 or revert to Client only being possible?

I would like to spend my limited time flying rather than reinstalling-if poss

xxd09

• Upvote 1

Talk about HT being some kind of problem continues to be really boring. Those that do should know better. And not using AMs is part of the problem HT or not. Excess heat can be seen with too many cores allocated to P3D even with HT disabled. Excess heat is an improper setup.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks for the kind comments folks. I'll be glad if those tips are helpful.
For the others who are in bad shape, I am sorry for them, there is nothing I can do other than suggesting them to leave this thread.
😋

Back on topic.
My new OC (5.0 GHz with HT enabled, AVX=1) has successfully passed 12 hours OCCT6.0 test, so I can say it is "stable".

Today I have cleared the shaders while flying and switched the textures to 4096.
(PMDG 748 from LEBB to LEMD. Orbx and Aerosoft airports)
I was a bit anxious because before I downgraded the CPU speed (from 5.1 to 5.0), P3Dv5 was always crashing near complex airports using 4096x4096 textures, and particularly this one.
But this time, landing was perfect.

So yes, I insist again, your PC might be potentially unstable and you were not aware of it with P3Dv4+.
That's the main cause of CTDs, BSODs and other crashes other than those caused by certain addons in the V5.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I don't know which is more of a problem: an unstable PC or an unstable PC user caused by an unstable PC.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

AVX is used extensively in P3D so whatever "stability" tool one uses, they need to ensure it uses AVX instructions also.

Thanks for posting that Rob. I've often wondered whether P3D uses AVX. Do you happen to know which version of P3D first started using it?

Ted

• Upvote 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

59 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Thanks for posting that Rob. I've often wondered whether P3D uses AVX. Do you happen to know which version of P3D first started using it?

Ted

i see it when migrated from 6700k to 7700k that have downclock option for avx in bios.

dont remember witch version on p3d 

15 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

AVX is used extensively in P3D so whatever "stability" tool one uses, they need to ensure it uses AVX instructions also.  Some users and or even automated OC tools will leave AVX offset at 0 as they increase CPU frequency and then not testing stability with AVX usage. 

Sorry but, what is avx ?

Alain from Montreal

AVX instruction are a series of CPU accelerate instruction set build into Intel and AMD processor. Intel has an something called AVX-512 which AMD doesn't have.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.