Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

The magic recipe to tame P3D v5 : zero crash certified!

thank you, so I should see a setting in the bios ?

Alain from Montreal

Edited by aljones

7 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

AVX instruction are a series of CPU accelerate instruction set build into Intel and AMD processor. Intel has an something called AVX-512 which AMD doesn't have.

I think that AVX-512 is for Intel servers CPUs. Here's a simple explanation of AVX, which has been a feature of many Intel processors for at leat 5 years:

lLooks like it does, so I will check in the bios tonight, so I set my overclock and set this avx value at -1 ? +1 ?

Alain from Montreal

Ah ! thank you Rob, very clear now ! that is why, even tough my overclock was at 43 x100 it showed like 4.45 in cpu-z !

avx must be set over zero...

Alain from Montreal

I have it Off. OC my 7940x to 4.7 on all 14 cores and my 8700k to 5.0 on all 6 cores.

No need here to downclock..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

17 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

HF2 is shaping up very nicely, has been very solid.  There are near future plans for EA/TrueSKY for the next sub-verison bump (not HF) that will also remove the "Beta" tag associated with it so stay tuned for that (sorry no ETA but it's unlikely to have breaking changes and will open many doors for weather depiction).  No secret V5.0 has been a little turbulent but we're getting close to 10,000 ft and the fasten seat belts sign should be going off soon.  😉

Cheers, Rob.

This is very encouraging to hear Rob.

What is so frustrating is that L-M themselves are practically "radio-silent" on feedback related to the pages and pages of reports on their "support" forum - and I am using the word in quotes deliberately, as I see a bare minimum of useful support or engagement from L-M staff on issues that people are having.  Instead, they have the same couple of users - who do not appear to be affiliated with L-M in any official capacity - who chime in on every bug report or tech support request and get in the way of people who are trying to report substantive information that may be useful in solving a problem or get people up and running, or that L-M could use to investigate a potential bug. I am to the point where I don't bother posting issues there, because it is like getting onto one of those endless customer support hotlines where you never interact with a real human.

Your comment on the use of AVX instructions, for example - that is a massively important piece of information for people to know.  Overclocking isn't exactly an obscure thing anymore; I have searched and searched for anything where L-M acknowledges anything related to how they employ AVX, and yet that is incredibly useful information for people who are setting up overclocks, particularly if P3Dv5 is turning out to be particularly demanding in terms of stability.  The overall level of engagement with the community on their part is discouraging.  Other than "the next hotfix will be coming in the next few weeks" they have said little to nothing on which issues might be legit areas they are addressing, which ones aren't in their wheelhouse (because the addon developers need to work on them, or maybe it is a driver issue that falls to Nvidia or AMD), and which ones are really limitations due to the users' systems or settings.  And so everyone is left to speculate and try to come up with their own home-brewed work-arounds.  I mean, which drivers have they tested on? Are there issues they are working on with AMD or Nividia to address stability under DX12? Should people be updating to the next Windows build?  They have an add-on eco-system that is a core part of the value proposition for this software, but they don't talk about which issues they might or might not be looking at that impact the use of popular add-ons.

V5 is brilliant when it works, but L-M are just taking the wind out of their own sails on this when they don't address the customer end of things very well.

• Like 2

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

I have already implemented all suggestions posted, but FlyTampa KLAS at 2048 is impossible even with Medium and Normal Autogen settings, even with all AI disabled. I wish Flytampa would address this, but they won't. No issue at 2048 anywhere else. 

Edited by SolRayz

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I think i understood you Rob, you mentioned to set avx=0, you also mentioned that over zero, avx will increase cpu ghz so, if say set 5.0x100, with avx at 0 it will give 5.0, avx =1 would give 5.1 etc..

so, when my overclock at 4.3x100 gives me 4.45, does it means my avx setting is +15 ?

Alain from Montreal

From day 1 i have followed NickN over at simforums for his Windows bible guide and haswel overclock guide. I have had nothing but stability over the past few years.

P3D V5 worked straight out the box with not one CTD in 4 weeks. Utter smoothness and great stability.

NickN is probably the only one that i have followed and the only one i go to for guidance and help.

• Like 1

Vernon Howells

@aljones

Hi Alain,

I normally like to set my AVX instructions core ratio negative to 0 because I don't want to pull the CPU frequency down under AVX load, but since the 9900k I make an exception because this CPU does generate significantly more heat than the 8th generation chips.

For the average cooling that most people are using, you're probably going to be limited by what you can do voltage wise. Which means you are going to need to bring your AVX load down a little bit.
So under AVX instructions, things like benchmarking, video rendering and stuff like that, your system will pull down just slightly to allow you to remain stable. And, as Rob said, the advantage of doing it that way is that when you are not under AVX load (most games still don't use AVX instructions), you are still able to achieve your maximum overclock.

Beware!
Bringing your AVX load down a little bit means beginning with value 1.
More you increase the AVX instruction core ratio negative offset (2, 3, 4...) and more you protect your hardware when your applications are using AVX.
Is it necessary to set it to 2 or more? No, it is perfectly useless, unless your CPU is air-cooled with a mediocre cooler.
For those with an efficient air-cooler or water-cooler, no need to go beyond 1.
For those with a super water cooling system and a very stable machine, no need to set the AVX instructions ratio other than 0.

Hope it helps 😉

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Thank you Rob and David, perfectly clear now ! 

I set the cpu at 45 x 100 and my memory at stock speed, the rest on auto in the bios, ht on, for now and tested with Intel-burn-test v2.54,

turned on 18 tests at once, they all turn success full with temp in the low 70 high 60s (water cooled) 

Will do some more tweaking tonight !  by the way , how many years does a Corsair H50 water cooler can last ? do not want to leak and destroy the motherboard...😉

Edited by aljones
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, aljones said:

by the way , how many years does a Corsair H50 water cooler can last ? do not want to leak and destroy the motherboard...😉

Corsair liquid coolers are virtually indestructible. I am on my second but only because the power supply took out the pump.

By the way: If the AVX instructions used are not using a data type longer than 128bits (which is double the usual floating point data type) then it makes no difference.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 hour ago, aljones said:

Thank you Rob and David, perfectly clear now ! 

I set the cpu at 45 x 100 and my memory at stock speed, the rest on auto in the bios, ht on, for now and tested with Intel-burn-test v2.54,

turned on 18 tests at once, they all turn success full with temp in the low 70 high 60s (water cooled) 

Will do some more tweaking tonight !  by the way , how many years does a Corsair H50 water cooler can last ? do not want to leak and destroy the motherboard...😉

I use my Corsair Cooler H100i for five years without any problems.

Jac 

PC Specs: 

/MoBo: Asus Rampage V Extreme/CPU: Intel ®  Core i7 5930k @ 3.5 Ghz OC 4.2 Ghz/CPU Cooling: Hydro series H100i / RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz/ SSD: 4x Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB/SSD: 1x Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB M.2 /PSU: Corsair RM  850

/GPU: NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti OC 11 GB (Asus ROG STRIX Gaming) /Monitor:  Asus ROG 348Q Res, 3440x1440 / OC 100 Hz /OS: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit - Version Build 19041 

FlightSim: P3Dv5 HF2 & MSFS 2020 Hardware: Yoko Yoke+ ; Yoke TQ6+