Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

The magic recipe to tame P3D v5 : zero crash certified!

Yes, as far as there is no water leak (level is generally visible), good water-cooling systems can last over 5 years easily.
And you can be quiet with your Corsair, Alain, your PC won't boot if the pump stops working suddenly. And with today's motherboard's technology you won't fry your hardware in case of failure.

Edited by David Roch
  • Like 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

18 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Not sure I was clear ... in summary I would recommend you set AVX = 0 (AVX instructions are used in P3D so it's not an on/off situation) and then test with burn-in or benchmarking software that uses AVX to determine stability (and heat).  If stability issues surface, drop the CPU ratio down 1 notch (don't touch AVX, leave at 0) and test again.

I've asked them directly, they confirmed they do (in the Beta forums which aren't public).  But other vendors also use AVX instructions (RealityXP and others) because they provide a performance improvement, so it's not entirely "on LM".  Using AVX instructions is good, not bad ... they exist to aid in performance.

LM will not get involved in Overclocking and driver versions and/or OS versions unless they present a problem they can replicate (key being replicate).  Like I said earlier, some motherboards will come from the factory in a slightly overclocked state so as to look better than the competition, same goes for GPUs.  Just as we have the "silicon lottery" we have variances in motherboards and GPUs.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob - I am not necessarily saying they are obligated to share exactly how they employ them, and yes AVX instructions are good tools to employ to improve performance - totally agree.  It would be helpful though if they were more communicative in what issues they can replicate and what they can't as people wait for a hotfix.

Personally, I would prefer to get an overclock stable without AVX offset, but sometimes you get every other stress test to pass and yet you crash out immediately with the latest version of Prime95 (that uses AVX instructions), and it just isn't worth the added voltage and heat to try to get that to work with AVX=0.  It all depends on the use case you have and how much time you put in.

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

6 hours ago, David Roch said:

@aljones

Hi Alain,

I normally like to set my AVX instructions core ratio negative to 0 because I don't want to pull the CPU frequency down under AVX load, but since the 9900k I make an exception because this CPU does generate significantly more heat than the 8th generation chips.

For the average cooling that most people are using, you're probably going to be limited by what you can do voltage wise. Which means you are going to need to bring your AVX load down a little bit.
So under AVX instructions, things like benchmarking, video rendering and stuff like that, your system will pull down just slightly to allow you to remain stable. And, as Rob said, the advantage of doing it that way is that when you are not under AVX load (most games still don't use AVX instructions), you are still able to achieve your maximum overclock.

Beware!
Bringing your AVX load down a little bit means beginning with value 1.
More you increase the AVX instruction core ratio negative offset (2, 3, 4...) and more you protect your hardware when your applications are using AVX.
Is it necessary to set it to 2 or more? No, it is perfectly useless, unless your CPU is air-cooled with a mediocre cooler.
For those with an efficient air-cooler or water-cooler, no need to go beyond 1.
For those with a super water cooling system and a very stable machine, no need to set the AVX instructions ratio other than 0.

Hope it helps 😉

This is my experience as well with 9700k.  Heat is a much bigger pain for me with it than when I had an 8700k, where I was fine with cooling but I would be uncomfortable with the voltages.  I have had to go with AVX 1 or 2 to get the 9700k stable.

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

7 hours ago, Driver170 said:

From day 1 i have followed NickN over at simforums for his Windows bible guide and haswel overclock guide. I have had nothing but stability over the past few years.

P3D V5 worked straight out the box with not one CTD in 4 weeks. Utter smoothness and great stability.

NickN is probably the only one that i have followed and the only one i go to for guidance and help.

Well, YMMV...  I too followed that guide once upon a time and ended up with a mess of a Windows install because of it.

- Kevin

8 hours ago, aljones said:

how many years does a Corsair H50 water cooler can last ?

As with anything they can fail but that doesn't mean you will get a leak. I had an H100 that only lasted 3 years but it was due to a clogged pump so no major issues occurred and it was replaced under warranty. 

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

On 5/31/2020 at 4:40 PM, westman said:

Rule 1. yes 

I run my 9900k at 5.2 ht on ( binned CPU )

Rule 2. yes 

Same here, on liquid and delidded, direct die-mounted (no IHS)

AVX=0

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1

I gave hyperthreading a shot after having it turned off for 4+ years on my 6700k @ 4.6. Terrain loading is improved for me, but I got stutters on the ground at FSDT KORD V2 that I didn't get with hyperthreading off. Going back to hyperthreading off and turning down the autogen is the lesser of the two evils for me. I wish LM would fix the in-game FPS limiter because when I use that to limit to 30, the delayed terrain loading goes away, but I get stutters on the ground. Until then I will continue to rock 30 hz/unlimited/vsync.

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

UPDATE:
Since May 30th (12 days) I didn't have a single CTD, BSOD or DGXI error, flying average 3 hours a day.
Before I applied the "magic recipe" (lol), using P3Dv5 was a real PITA, nothing but a crappy experience from the beginning as you can read in this thread.

I still see a lot of folks with very decent computers bashing LM because they are struggling with the V5.
I hope they can find some help reading the above.

• Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

This discussion about AVX has been very informative and I thank you guys who understand this technology for explaining it. The burning question however is, does P3DV4 or V5 and/or any addons make use of AVX instructions? It seems that this would determine whether you would want to use an AVX offset when creating a stable overclock on a system used for P3D only.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

5 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

This discussion about AVX has been very informative and I thank you guys who understand this technology for explaining it. The burning question however is, does P3DV4 or V5 and/or any addons make use of AVX instructions? It seems that this would determine whether you would want to use an AVX offset when creating a stable overclock on a system used for P3D only.

Ted

Per Rob A a few posts up in this thread, YES, P3Dv5 (and I assume 4 also) uses AVX instructions, as do the RealityXP GNS/GTN gauges.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Yes, no doubts, I can see my CPU throttling back to 4.8GHz (from 4.9) when AVX instructions are active.

Best regards,
David Roch

14 hours ago, Mace said:

Per Rob A a few posts up in this thread, YES, P3Dv5 (and I assume 4 also) uses AVX instructions, as do the RealityXP GNS/GTN gauges.

Thanks for that Rhett. I thought I had read through the entire thread but apparently not well. :blush: Rob is pretty clear earlier that P3D uses it extensively. I'm putting together a new sim box so I will max sure my offset is at zero when I do the overclock.

Ted.

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4