Sign in to follow this  
gronji2004

P3Dv4.5 v 5

Hey,

Ive tried 2x now installing P3Dv5 and each time i've gone back to 4.5. I can run 4.5 with full settings (nearly all sliders to the right including weather) with a smooth 40FPS with any addon at any airport. 

With V5 i get a crash with the same settings saying I've ran out of VRAM so I have now lost any interest in using V5.

Am i doing something wrong or is there sometihng I'm missing?

Cheers,

Alex

There are few topics on how to make P3D v5. Every other post is a problem that needs to be solved. But, the community seems to find a way get issues resolved.

I have selected to stick with P3D v4.5 until a stable version is released and all my airports are updated.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I agree, just doesn't seem to make any sense that my hardware can run 4.5 with the settings I have, but 5 is a no go? Very very bizzare. I love 4.5 and will be sticking with it for now!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, gronji2004 said:

Hey,

Ive tried 2x now installing P3Dv5 and each time i've gone back to 4.5.

With V5 i get a crash with the same settings saying I've ran out of VRAM so I have now lost any interest in using V5.

Am i doing something wrong or is there sometihng I'm missing?

Cheers,

Alex

The only thing you are doing wrong is your lack of self-confidence; and you are constantly trapping in one of the worst traps a simmer can trap. 

Namely: Newer equals better --> WHICH IS NOT TRUE, in many, many cases - especially in the flightsim/software industry.  Unfortunately a lot of simmers can't resist with a stance of serentiy, because they often think:  " Oh, look at the new graphics, it is to tempting, it must be good.  If I don't have the newest version of a sim, I'm oldfashioned." 

Listen to your own experiences after this orgy of installing vs uninstalling, and remember how fluid your previous install of P3D v4 has run.

I can run 4.5 with full settings (nearly all sliders to the right including weather) with a smooth 40FPS with any addon at any airport. 

I mean - P3D constantly smooth with 40 FPS - what more could a simmer's heart desire 😃 , it's a blast.

Stay focused!  Do your flight training, enjoy your brilliant v.4.5 setup,enjoy your flight sim through FLYING, not tweaking and tinkering, and throw the other one into the dump .

All the best,

Konrad.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

@ KBUR: Good post. I plead guilty as charged.

• Like 1

Vic green

One thing to keep in mind is that the same settings in v5 are actually somewhat higher than they were in v4.  Just because you could run v4 maxed doesn't mean you'll be able to in v5.  Just adjust the settings in v5 to run well and then decide if it looks better than v4 at those settings.  The settings are not equivalent between v4 and v5.

I'm holding off on v5 waiting for better stability and all my add-ons to be updated.  No hurry.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

5 hours ago, LHookins said:

One thing to keep in mind is that the same settings in v5 are actually somewhat higher than they were in v4.  Just because you could run v4 maxed doesn't mean you'll be able to in v5.  Just adjust the settings in v5 to run well and then decide if it looks better than v4 at those settings.  The settings are not equivalent between v4 and v5.

Exactly, most problems are related to users ignoring the higher settings that V5 sliders will set when its in the same position as in V4.

9 hours ago, gronji2004 said:

I agree, just doesn't seem to make any sense that my hardware can run 4.5 with the settings I have, but 5 is a no go? Very very bizzare. I love 4.5 and will be sticking with it for now!

There is nothing bizarre here.

Its an new DX12 engine with higher demand on the hardware. As long as you set it accordingly to the capabilities of your PC (and forget what you have set in V4!) it will not overload your system, VRAM in this case. 

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

@KBUR Wise words.

I’m usually guilty of this too but the threat of pandemic induced unemployment means no frivolous spending for me so no V5.

As I heard Sheryl Crow sing on the radio yesterday   , it’s not having what you want, it’s wanting what you’ve got.😄

As you say 4.5 is running so hot now, what more could you possibly want?

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

@gronji2004, if you ever had 32-bit P3D v3 you'll know you had to be pragmatic with settings otherwise you'd run out of memory (VAS). There was a 4Gb limit. Get close to it and BANG! P3D crashed.

The same applies to v5. This time it's because your graphics card has run out of memory (VRAM) because the settings are too high. You don't list your hardware including graphics card. The 1080Ti or equivalent can usually cope with its 11Gb of VRAM. Cards with lower memory will suffer. In short, turn down your settings especially those that consume VRAM.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 hours ago, KBUR said:

The only thing you are doing wrong is your lack of self-confidence; and you are constantly trapping in one of the worst traps a simmer can trap. 

Namely: Newer equals better --> WHICH IS NOT TRUE, in many, many cases - especially in the flightsim/software industry.  Unfortunately a lot of simmers can't resist with a stance of serentiy, because they often think:  " Oh, look at the new graphics, it is to tempting, it must be good.  If I don't have the newest version of a sim, I'm oldfashioned." 

Listen to your own experiences after this orgy of installing vs uninstalling, and remember how fluid your previous install of P3D v4 has run.

I mean - P3D constantly smooth with 40 FPS - what more could a simmer's heart desire 😃 , it's a blast.

Stay focused!  Do your flight training, enjoy your brilliant v.4.5 setup,enjoy your flight sim through FLYING, not tweaking and tinkering, and throw the other one into the dump .

All the best,

Konrad.

HI Konrad,

You are so right in this post, and thankyou for makjing this point!

45 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@gronji2004, if you ever had 32-bit P3D v3 you'll know you had to be pragmatic with settings otherwise you'd run out of memory (VAS). There was a 4Gb limit. Get close to it and BANG! P3D crashed.

The same applies to v5. This time it's because your graphics card has run out of memory (VRAM) because the settings are too high. You don't list your hardware including graphics card. The 1080Ti or equivalent can usually cope with its 11Gb of VRAM. Cards with lower memory will suffer. In short, turn down your settings especially those that consume VRAM.

If thats the case why can V4 run perfectly without any problems on the exact same settings in V5?

Cheers,

Alex

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gronji2004 said:

If thats the case why can V4 run perfectly without any problems on the exact same settings in V5?

Cheers,

Alex

Because the new graphics in V5 use more VRAM than you have.  You didn't reply to Ray's question about your graphic card.

Cheers

Paul Golding

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 6 Core @ 4.2GHZ
nVidia GeForce RTX 2060 @ 6GB
32GB RAM
1TB PCi-E M2 HD

So basically V4 can look better than V5 and use less resources? It seems like sticking with V4 is the safest and best thing to do!

24 minutes ago, gronji2004 said:

Cheers,

Alex

Because v5 has DX12 which increases VRAM demand. v4 has DX11. I’m sure L-M will fix the issue. Just give them some time.

The same settings in v5 display more objects than v4. That has already been said.

With only 6Gb of VRAM you’re going to have to lower your settings.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Because v5 has DX12 which increases VRAM demand. v4 has DX11. I’m sure L-M will fix the issue. Just give them some time.

The same settings in v5 display more objects than v4. That has already been said.

Thanks for the explanation Ray, I'll certainly be bypassing V5 then, its just not worth it!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gronji2004 said:

It seems you don't get it. Settings are NOT the same in V4 and V5.

If you have the right settings in V5 to mimic the settings in V4 in runs better than V4.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png