Sign in to follow this  
rooster hancock 2003

A little help with V5 please.

Hi Everyone.

So I do not have any flight planner tools installed, (don't really want one unless you guy's tell me different), I just use P3D default, but right now the flight plan does not show up on the aircraft kneeboard in V5, which I use for manually transferring into  the fmc, (I'm hoping there will be a fix in the next update). So am I missing something here and being dumb. Could someone please explain to an old f**t how are you getting your flight plans into your PMDG's and Aerosoft's. Not so much a problem with QualityWings as you just click "load atc route" in their fmc. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Best regards and stay safe.

Malcolm Hancock

Malcolm Hancock

Hello Malcolm,

On the free side you could use simbrief or littlenavmap, simbrief is an online planner that you can download the created flight plans to a number of formats including PMDG and Aerosoft. Littlenavmap is a free application and the created flight plans can be imported to all the popular aircraft. I find this a little busy, but thats just me, need to work with it more. 🙂

If you go the payware route, I use PFPX not officially P3dV5 but you just point the software to your V5 folders and it works. You would also need a navgragh or navdata subscription to have routes up to date. There are others free and payware, but those above are probably the most popular.

I am curious how you are currently creating flightplans? And have you tried to use the aerosoft fmc and manually entering the flightplan?

Hope that helps

🛩️ Brian Houghton

System: P3D V5.3 HF2, Intel i7-9700K o/c to 4.5Ghz, Nvidia RTX 3080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD, 2x1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, MSI Z390 M/B, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 2133 Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit 21H2,Samsung UHD 43" LED TV, Benq 27" HD monitor.

2nd PC: Networked for atc, charts, and streaming. Intel i7 4790k 4 Ghz, Nvidia GTX 2070 Super, Samsung 970 Evo, 2x sata drives, MSI Z970 M/B, 32Gb G.skills DDR3 Ram, Win 10 Pro 21H2, 2x Benq 27" Monitors

Hello Brian.

Thank you for your reply. Well normally I create the plan within the V5 planner then save it and bring it up on the aircraft kneeboard and then manually enter the waypoints, vor's or whatever from the kneeboard into the aircrafts  fmc I'm using, but the kneebard is not working in V5 at the moment. I have always done it this way, since Kittyhawk I think😄! So am I in the dark ages Brian? should I go down the PFPX route? Is it easy to use? At my tender years I'm not very techi you see., or should I just wait for LM to fix the default?

Thanks again.

Malcolm

Malcolm Hancock

The default flightplanner is really quite bad. I'd suggest to just try Simbrief . Something like PFPX is overkill when you are just looking for the route. 

• Upvote 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Simbrief is definitely something you should try. In addition there is the Simbrief downloader. which automatically loads the flightplan in the correct format into the aircraft of your choice.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, rooster hancock 2003 said:

So am I in the dark ages Brian? should I go down the PFPX route? Is it easy to use? At my tender years I'm not very techi you see., or should I just wait for LM to fix the default?

To see PFPX in action --------> PFPX It is quite and old video but it gives you good idea how it works, you then make your own mind up. The website is http://www.flightsimsoft.com/pfpx/

15 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

Something like PFPX is overkill when you are just looking for the route. 

Each to their own Dave, I am just giving the OP different options so he an make an informed choice and it depends how in depth you want to go.

• Upvote 1

🛩️ Brian Houghton

System: P3D V5.3 HF2, Intel i7-9700K o/c to 4.5Ghz, Nvidia RTX 3080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD, 2x1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, MSI Z390 M/B, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 2133 Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit 21H2,Samsung UHD 43" LED TV, Benq 27" HD monitor.

2nd PC: Networked for atc, charts, and streaming. Intel i7 4790k 4 Ghz, Nvidia GTX 2070 Super, Samsung 970 Evo, 2x sata drives, MSI Z970 M/B, 32Gb G.skills DDR3 Ram, Win 10 Pro 21H2, 2x Benq 27" Monitors

Thank you gentlemen for your input, it is much appreciated. Brian, thanks for the links, I will have a look and see which option  I can handle best, (payware or freeware), with the few brain cells available to me.

Thanks again Gentlemen.

Malcolm.

Malcolm Hancock

From one old f$%^ to another - a KISS idea

SKYVECTOR Flight PLANNING

Stick in the departs and arrival - and it draws a straight line between the 2 just like P3D

and just like P3D you can drag the line to anyway point you fancy in VFR and choose a flight lane

if you are so inclined - also in IFR

Thanks jaytee73 but my real problem is the blank kneeboard which I use to enter those waypoints into the fmc. I have nothing to work with.

Best regards.

Malcolm

Malcolm Hancock

Yup, this is my issue with P3D too, the problem with the kneeboard nav log not showing anything really needs fixing.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Malcolm, if cost isn’t an issue then i think you’d be able to deal with pfpx. It’s a little strange the furst few tines you use it, but once you work out the interface its actually a quivk and simple way to generate a flight plan (1-2 minutes work). Lots of options in pfpx, but you can also adopt a KISS approach with it.

I’d personally do this rather than muddling around with p3d’s in-built planner. There’s a reason that so many after-market planners exist!

Simbrief is excellent as well. 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

22 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Malcolm, if cost isn’t an issue then i think you’d be able to deal with pfpx. It’s a little strange the furst few tines you use it, but once you work out the interface its actually a quivk and simple way to generate a flight plan (1-2 minutes work). Lots of options in pfpx, but you can also adopt a KISS approach with it.

I’d personally do this rather than muddling around with p3d’s in-built planner. There’s a reason that so many after-market planners exist!

Simbrief is excellent as well. 

ive mentioned a few times that at work (or at home through a work VPN) I can run a flightplan on Saber or Lido and then put the route string into simbrief with the same alternates and fuel policy/reserve/contingency rules and the end fuel & proformance output from simbrief with be more or  less identical to Saber / Lido which are the 2 top selling commericial products.

Point im making is if you actually have the route string simbrief is very very accurate, if you dont have the route string, ie a transatlantic or another long haul flight where the route is changeable then PFPX is very good at creating routes in 3D, ie on the tracks, off the tracks, and based on either cost or on time.  This is what we do in the real world.  Alot of GA private jet operators will run flightplans based on  "quickest time" (they dont care if they burn a ton of fuel or buy expensive overflights)  whereas airlines will run on  "cheapest route" which is based on lowest fuel costs, avoiding expensive over flight permits (like iraq/iran for example)  and airspacer closures  (northern Canada around airbases which have flight level restricitions)    You see flightplanning is not as easy as simmers think.

Finally have a look at https://edi-gla.co.uk/ you can request or find real world accurate routes on there.

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, rooster hancock 2003 said:

Thanks jaytee73 but my real problem is the blank kneeboard which I use to enter those waypoints into the fmc. I have nothing to work with.

Best regards.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I don't mean this sarcastically but get your route string from simbrief and just write it down. I still use pen and paper and i use PFPX and sometimes simbrief.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Gentlemen, I am so very grateful for you input/support it's one of the many things I love about our hobby. I'm currently evaluating my freeware/payware options.

Nyxx old chap, this made me smile as you certainly have a point 👍😁 and at the end of it all, if the other stuff is too complicated for me, then I shall get the quill out! 

Malcolm

Edited by rooster hancock 2003

Malcolm Hancock

9 hours ago, rooster hancock 2003 said:

I do not have any flight planner tools installed

Unless you specifically like manually adding waypoints into an FMC, I don't know why you wouldn't be sprinting to get a flight planning tool.

I previously used PFPX, but have ditched it in favour of SimBrief.
Both of these tools allow you to plan accurately and import simultaneously to your specific aircraft's FMC and to P3D's own flight planner.
(There are rave reviews for it, but I've never really liked Little Nav Map).

I prefer SimBrief. It has plenty of options, has good support, and is free (donations accepted).
In a similar fashion to AI traffic, I wouldn't recommend to anyone to buy the payware version. The freeware is superior in nearly all respects.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter