Sign in to follow this  
whitav8

Extra sidelook stutter in WMR VR Only?

Could you VR guys (not just WMR but Oculus, Pimax, and Vive +...) comment on whether you have too much (whatever that really is??) stutter with P3Dv5? I only have WMR (HP Reverb) to test with and I have compared plots using frametime data (from FRAPS ) for each frame (not averages) including P3Dv4.5 data as well as a flight sim other than Prepar3D. See the thread:

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=138375&sid=628b5ab6a37e45c0a0053e5f4c24f2cf

It appears that with single-pass and WMR (P3D Version 5HF1), that looking out the side at scenery while flying low (~1000 feet ) suffers from considerable stutter  - meaning that even with a constant frame interpolation set at 45 Hz (half my 90Hz of Reverb) - there is no fluid (smooth ) motion without surges in object position. I am flying in simple to medium areas and with simpler aircraft that provide at least 80 FPS ( some over 100 fps ) average when operating in nonVR mode - therefore the result should be pretty smooth with single-pass mode.

Would those of you with other than WMR headsets please try to get a measure of sidelook stutter and report to this thread?

I need to report to the L-M Devs whether it seems to be an all VR problem or just WMR. I seem to have "calibrated eyeballs" for this type of problem and have worked this type of issue for three generations of VR HMDs as well as Boeing's engineering sim in Seattle. I was fairly satisfied with this issue with P3Dv4.5 as long as I stayed away from complex sceneries but it turns out that that was because that I was actually  "VR syncing" frames down at 30Hz which is one-third of 90Hz. Also, the RTM first version of P3Dv5 seemed to be OK in that aspect but we had a head movement jitter issue that was fixed with HF1 - but I wonder if we traded off for sidelook stutter issues. What I see from the frametime plots is some kind of apparent "hunting" for what the FPS should be just about every frame. Also, I see from various nonVR threads that there seems to be stutter issues for many using v5 - don't know if that is related.

Thanks much - and may your flight be smooth

Dave W.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Hello Dave, 

Do you have Temporal Motion Reprojection manually enabled in WMR?  A good place to start for VR issues in flight sims is https://vr4dcs.com/ Thud has a great blog there. Yes I know P3D is not DCS, but they also talk about P3D there and on their Discord channel.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, whitav8 said:

Could you VR guys (not just WMR but Oculus, Pimax, and Vive +...) comment on whether you have too much (whatever that really is??) stutter with P3Dv5? I only have WMR (HP Reverb) to test with and I have compared plots using frametime data (from FRAPS ) for each frame (not averages) including P3Dv4.5 data as well as a flight sim other than Prepar3D. See the thread:

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=138375&sid=628b5ab6a37e45c0a0053e5f4c24f2cf

It appears that with single-pass and WMR (P3D Version 5HF1), that looking out the side at scenery while flying low (~1000 feet ) suffers from considerable stutter  - meaning that even with a constant frame interpolation set at 45 Hz (half my 90Hz of Reverb) - there is no fluid (smooth ) motion without surges in object position. I am flying in simple to medium areas and with simpler aircraft that provide at least 80 FPS ( some over 100 fps ) average when operating in nonVR mode - therefore the result should be pretty smooth with single-pass mode.

Would those of you with other than WMR headsets please try to get a measure of sidelook stutter and report to this thread?

I need to report to the L-M Devs whether it seems to be an all VR problem or just WMR. I seem to have "calibrated eyeballs" for this type of problem and have worked this type of issue for three generations of VR HMDs as well as Boeing's engineering sim in Seattle. I was fairly satisfied with this issue with P3Dv4.5 as long as I stayed away from complex sceneries but it turns out that that was because that I was actually  "VR syncing" frames down at 30Hz which is one-third of 90Hz. Also, the RTM first version of P3Dv5 seemed to be OK in that aspect but we had a head movement jitter issue that was fixed with HF1 - but I wonder if we traded off for sidelook stutter issues. What I see from the frametime plots is some kind of apparent "hunting" for what the FPS should be just about every frame. Also, I see from various nonVR threads that there seems to be stutter issues for many using v5 - don't know if that is related.

Thanks much - and may your flight be smooth

Dave W.

P3D V5 HF1 and HP Reverb on i9 10900k at 5.1GhZ HT On with Titan RTX.....yes....stuttering view while panning or even just look left or right side is suffering a little bit. P3D V5 was smoother although jittery problems. But smoother and better performance overall.

Thanks for pushing this. I am hoping LM is working on this.

Also waterreflections are not done properly. Seem to have double/slightly different view on each eye depending on view angle. But that is another issue. Only it seem to me as there are more issues with vr/wmr

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I'm on a Reverb in P3Dv5 on a 8 core laptop with a 2080. It has been fluid in all directions at any height. I'm not on SteamVR beta and not on W10 2004. Just P3Dv5hf1.

I do have this line turned off in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
        "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : false,

I internally lock to 45fps.

I'll see if I can check and report back.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:12 PM, mpo910 said:

P3D V5 HF1 and HP Reverb on i9 10900k at 5.1GhZ HT On with Titan RTX.....yes....stuttering view while panning or even just look left or right side is suffering a little bit. P3D V5 was smoother although jittery problems. But smoother and better performance overall.

Thanks for pushing this. I am hoping LM is working on this.

Also waterreflections are not done properly. Seem to have double/slightly different view on each eye depending on view angle. But that is another issue. Only it seem to me as there are more issues with vr/wmr

Marcus

Btw.

I see that finally LM or NVidia resolved jittery in P3Dv5.3 HT2 (with ultra water), tested few hours over the water in VR and finally was good! 🙂

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

Yes, I use the Rift S and fly through SteamVR (Oculus still doesn't work on my system) I also have stutters and jitters and even severe jumping image. It comes and goes. I haven't really looked into what situations trigger it but VR in v5 has always been a bit stuttery asnd jumpy, regardless of graphis settings. I don't think it is settings, just a poor VR implementation. I just gave up and decided to live with it. Still beats flying with a screen.

I currently use a reverb and was having a real problem with the low level stuttering looking out to the side, it was completely destroying immersion.

After reinstalling everything from windows 11 up I am now running as smooth as silk.

I don’t understand all the  VR settings and tweaks so everything is left as default .

I’m not sure what’s changed but I just thought I’d make the report that for me at least it’s running smooth, so it is achievable..somehow.

I’m on 5.3 hot fix 1 , I’m  not updating unless completely necessary as I don’t want to upset my current performance that I’m seeing.

The system is HP reverb, i9-12900k , RTX 3090

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:56 AM, YoYo said:

Btw.

I see that finally LM or NVidia resolved jittery in P3Dv5.3 HT2 (with ultra water), tested few hours over the water in VR and finally was good! 🙂

O yes! Thanks for the headsup. I had tested it a month ago....and the issue did persist. Now it´s gone indeed! Great! Thanks YoYo!

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png